Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The story of Little Red Riding Hood - Page 25 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The story of Little Red Riding Hood

On 08/01/2022 at 12:33, Jacques said:

May I also ask to the use of the 8 (10) bolts to crownwheel housing. Are they always renewed or can they be reused?

The bolts are listed as single use only. They appear to be similar to GM 'AA' self locking place bolts.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So, I am right now building a new complete late type gearbox, stronger casings, bigger bolts, stronger special clutch, special flywheel, late type endcase and mec. with no translator, taller 5'th gear, Quaife lsd, late type gearmaster, exhaust bracket, cables, one piece primary shaft, higher 1'st and 2'nd gear, stronger metals and so on.

Only problem is that the gentleman who sold me a primary shaft kit is not a gentle as it would have seemed, as it's not the advertised Holloway kit, (which is Emco) but a Derek Bell/GTO/Quaife kit, which it taller 1'st and second still. Great kit, but not suitable for my my driving. It would suit a track car or a race car or a V8. I need the Holloway or the Emco kit. As I seem not to be able to advertise, I will do it here, and ask if anyone got a used or unused Emco or Holloway kit or willing to swap kit + eventually some payment, please give me a PM.

Till then, everything is on a halt, I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Sad 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 8 months later...

Thats great news Jacques.  I cant remember - will they make any of the engine hatch available on the market or is this a one off just for you?  One way or another I will make or buy a light weight engine cover some day.

Yeah I did the timing belt on my car last spring - I swear it runs better, smoother, makes more power.  I am sure its just the sub conscious knowing I have done everythign I can to keep the valves from meeting the pistons 🙂  

Hmm Erik, I am not sure I understand what you are asking about: 1: a tailgate, or 2: an engine cover?

If it's the later, I can ask around for one more, as I want one too (in carbon fiber - see below).

So, mine is a tailgate in carbon fiber entirely. Seriously bad executed by it's British maker, and was 1 of a batch of 4 (or was it 3? I can't remember). I was told they would no longer make them, as it was too hard to make them well. It's split in places, twisted so it cannot be installed and close, and two halves are stuck together with some rubber glue of some sort and have a very bad finish. I spoke to a few companies, who all said the same: very very bad made and not fit for a street car, as it could either split in halves during driving, or fly off because of too little material in many important places, or wobble and make noise at high speed because of no structural integrity. Cannot recommend it at all, unless you are willing to make it finished yourself. But in all honesty, the two big multi ribbed vents are really nice made, apart from having holes drilled in them that shouldn't be there, argh... These will be mended too. But they look really good!

So, the job is to take it apart and make it structurally sound, strong enough and very good finish. Oh, and that will double the original price. Since I am already working some 50 hours per week, I don't have time for another jab. It will just have to take the time it needs.

Then, as it's a S4/S4s/SP300/GT3/V8 model, you also need the appropriate engine cover underneath this tailgate. I found an original one to renovate and make new finish on for now, but this will not be the final engine cover, but temporarily.

All this is needed to adopt the Sport300 engine braces and bridge. And for this to work, I will have to lift off the whole body complete. Oh well, some day when I find a place to take the car completely apart and reassemble.

It's super light, and will still be super light, once mended to work well and look well, which was the idea in the first place. I am not a sucker for carbon fiber as such, but would like it to lighten the car more. And more. And then add lightness. While not altering the car's look and function fundamentally.

I have asked around for a few years for a SP300 engine cover in carbon fiber, to no avail. Some day...

I am really looking forward to this maybe coming true this year or start of next year. Then off the the painter and voila, new lighter car. As they say in the movie: I feel the need, the need for speed ;)  I'll post pics as it progresses.

No, it's definitely not just a mental impression or thought. It's very real. Drives really well. It's like the car knows and rewards you, the owner/driver, for having taken good care of it ;)

By the way, I just became the owner of a nice Tyrell P34 six wheeler today. Came with the mail. I waited exactly 43 years for that, so hey, what's another year, as they once sang...

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

Yes I am talking about the Tail Gate - I wont be running an engine cover going forward.

I understand now, this is one you had made some time ago and are now re-finishing.  

Yeah if you hear of one of its brothers available I would be interested in re-working it myself as you describe.

Looking forward to your progress!

Good to hear from you again Jacques!

Hope you got to enjoy Little Red Riding Hood this past summer. 😉

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Cheers Filip, I certainly did. It has been a dry but fantastic Summer here. Many trips in the car at a fair speed. Now, it's time to try to finish that tailgate story and hopefully get it painted and installed and lighten the burden for Little Red Riding Hood. I do have many other hobbies, and try to give some time for those as well. For example I am building my own highly sophisticated cd-player, or so it will be in the end.

Cheers,

Jacques

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Jacques,

(never say that when flying a commercial Airline! LOL.)

Could you write a couple words about your CF rear hatch project and associated weight savings?

Thanks

MrDangerUS

Yup. Will do, but I haven't picked it up yet. So will have to look things over, when I get it home. Probably some more things to do, before I can finally get it on LIttle Red Riding Hood, so she can fly lower, or higher for that matter.

Cheers,

Jacques

• Like 1

For reference and comparison, I`ve had two cf rear decks:

- one based on the later S4s/V8 design with twin oval vents (weighted approx. 7Kg

- ex-GT1 version (weighs just over 3Kg)

As Jaques experienced already, there is a big trade of between overall weight and rigidity.  It will be very interesting to see how it works out in the end.

DSCF0011.JPG.84ce63ae0449b3e9ba65e6fccf30a7bb.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG.c9db7adc32a3c68ab31f39264e5dbe20.JPG

305989398_798637444519370_7104522155273202984_n.jpg.ab878c22a77cccc69c2965293a22e0fd.jpg

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I got to feel the GT1 version (I think) when visiting Mike. It really is incredibly light! Such a difference to the standard SE one that is very heavy with the glass. But I do like the glass. Have been thinking of getting it replaced with Lexan or something to save a few kgs.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Or a cf one with glass or even with lexan or perspex glass. Should be proper light. And if painted, one would not see any difference.

Mike is right on the mark weight wise. I'll make sure to weigh mine when I finally pick it up.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

John,

You got to explain me that commercial airplane thing?

In it's original state at delivery, if I would have floored it, surely someone flying a commercial airplane would have had to report a ufo in carbon fiber at a fairly high altitude, possibly even drifting around at 9-11 kilometers altitude (where butterflies sometimes are blown to other parts of the Earth)...

Cheers,

Jacques

• Gold FFM

Hi Jacques = Hi Jack = Hijack!

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Forgive me my ignorance...

A blonde asks a brunette: "What does IDK mean"?

The brunette answers: "I don't know".

The blonde replies: "OMG, nobody knows".

Cheers,

Jacques

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...

Congrats Jacques, the Freelander 2 is a well sorted car. A huge leap from the first Freelander. I find them very nice to drive, though they lack the feeling of older Lander Rovers for me. I've only driven the 2.2 diesel, I'm sure the 6-pot petrol will be a a lot better still. And they are surprisingly capable off road, mainly thanks to excellent traction control. A mate joins us on occasions with his FL2, including pay&play sites. He doesn't shy away from the harder sections and usually amazes everyone by just driving through without much drama. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Wow - looks stunning - I am sure you posted this before but, how much weight are you saving?  Worth it on the cool factor alone. 

I have just started driving mine again after the X180R inspired roll cage build and install (took 8 months 😞 )

The LSD, Lightweight Flywheel and slightly stronger and lighter clutch is on its way from UK.

This fall I am going to start making a mold for a lightweight rear deck and sunroof inspired by you and Mike.