Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The story of Little Red Riding Hood - Page 19 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The story of Little Red Riding Hood

The specification for the S300 rear wheel camber is 1 degree +/- 0.1 degree (i.e. 1 degree +/- 6 minutes).

The camber offset can be calculated very simply using the equation offset = diameter * sin (θ)  where θ (theta) is the angle in degrees.

• Like 1

Jacques, your calculation is correct, because of the very small angle. Using sin would be more precise, but the difference is far less than the tolerance or your measuing accuracy.

Good tip to use the rim, that way you take the deformation of the tire (both sideways and in height) due to the load out of the equation.

Nice to see you being so scientific about it!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Someone's been watching too many mathematical programmes. 

Level surface, a plumb line, and two blocks of wood screwed together at 1° should suffice. 

55 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Someone's been watching too many mathematical programmes. 

Level surface, a plumb line, and two blocks of wood screwed together at 1° should suffice. 

yes, but how will you accurately measure 1°?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
55 minutes ago, Escape said:

yes, but how will you accurately measure 1°?

49p protractor from Tesco.

1° is 1° wether it's 18" or a mile ,

METHOD. Cut two pieces of wood to sit across wheel rim, using a protractor or any similar device, mark off 1° on one peice and screw the other in line to the 1° offset marked, attach vertically to wheel rim, with the car sat on a perfectly level surface, drop a plumb line (or set square up) close to the wood, when the outer edge off the wood is parallel to the plumb line 1° is achieved. (Negative or Positive) depending which way up your wood is)

I understand that the tires are in principle wobly and deform to a certain extent, where as the rims are same size and shape always.

But the number is varying if I use a far smaller r (the rim) in stead of the complete wheel.

Just for fun, I'll bring a ruler and measure the hight with wheel on the ground and say 2,2 Bar and then with 2,5 bar and see what it does to the radius, thereby affecting the arch length. A minimal difference, but none the less.

Yes, I did some comparisons with this mothod vs. using Sin vs. a third method. Anyway, as long as I got the method to calculate, it's easy enough. And when not having my trusty HP41CX nearby in the garage, I like to have a method to calculate it with the highly sophisticated piece of paper with a pencil ;)

Sinus work well for me too if the plastic brain (41cx which I've had for 33 years) is around.

Yes, I am being anal about it. Precision is good. Detail is good. I am also counting every gram (or as close I can get) I subtract from the car ;)

The Esprit is a precision road weapon, not a people carrier. It's about search and destroy (911 Chaos cars).

Anyway, I'll stick to 12,4mm arch length. There's impression in this as well, as it it was to be calculated precisely, one would have to divide the arch to the horizontal ine into small objects, and calculate those to get nearer a true value. ;)  I think it's good enough for now. I cannot adjust it so precisely anyway. But I can strive to get say 12,4mm. We'll see how it handles with that setting. Or I'll redo it with just 1 degree equaling 11,3mm.

So what are peoples experiences in real life with camber values? By experience, is it better to stick to factory values, or maybe something different, while still avoiding too much bump steer?

Kind regards,

jacques

ps: Oh no! this post now show 727 nonsense points... I hope that they don't lead to 737MAX8, which would unmistakeably lead to a crash in calculations...

pps: in fact I'd better make a small programme on the plastic brain that asks for data and throw the result. Yes, I know in this case, it's quicker to just calculate it,  but it's just for the fun of it.

Love OPN or RPN as you say over there, so here's my plastic brain my  HP41CX with a couple of math and stat modules and it's back up siblings:

41cx.JPG

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

We should not be overly disparaging of the tyres' dimensions versus those of the wheels. Lift a wheel clear of ground, spin by hand and observe how little runout there is in the structure of the tyre. What little may be seen is not significant in terms of the aligning dimensions, as I recall.

Very impressive look to your car, Jacques! 

Cheers ;) But as I usually say: If I cannot outrun them, at least I can try to psyche them into oblivity beforehand ;)

Jacques

ps: Where I live, there are many lowered beemers, Mercedes, and japscrap and what not. Lot's of fat exhasut pipes coming from a seemingly thin single pipe, and thay are so fun to drive up to at a red stoplight. Or jsut behind then in the same lane. The Esprit is flat, fat, and ticks all the right boxes, being a supercar, not a doorslammer.

• Like 1

@Steve V8 your method does sound easy enough. My problem is with accurately measuring 1° (not to mention 1°6') on a standard protractor. Unless it's a very large one, you're don't really have a resolution of 1° or less. Whereas measuring 12.4mm or even 6.2mm is relatively easy.

Filip

Exactly my thought. And I would have to buy some stuff to set it up. For example I have a relatively large protractor from Festool which could be used. But as Filip said, I don't think it's enough precision-wise. It's good for Wood working, but probably not for this purpose. Anyway, it's always good to have a few methods.

Thanks all ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques

protractor.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ure. I am just enjoying driving the Esprit and as usual, waiting for more parts from the UK (terribly slow...).

Other than that, I am working all Summer, building a new pc, and updating my Laverda mortorcycle making small nice aluminium and titanium bits and pieces for it; been in hospital for a few days because of rat infection on my job... and now back and healthy again. Also, in my free-time, I am working on some of my leather works for some customers. For example, it takes around 15 hours to make a belt, complete with my own custom wrapping, box, silk paper etc.

And this coming weekend, there's the Copenhagen Historical Grand Prix, right where I am living, so as usual, I'll get over there and Watch it (on this coming Saturday). Also, I am looking into a Corvette C6 for a friend. Then I discovered that my sofa in the livingroom is moving backwards a bit every month or so, so had to get a bigger version of our B&O tv; then I had to modify that to suit my likings, and not having cables and external boxes and what not lying around all over (which I seriously dislike). Then I decided that I'd like to get the pc Picture and sound on my tv, but it's not all cromecasts that will Work on an internal usb cable only, and I need that, as I built it into the tv, not wanting external Things and cables and certainly not any small Black cheap chinese powersupplys staring at me. But I did finish up on that. Then I bought som new big loudspeakers and found out that I like my old ones better, so sold them on. Instead I will do some more filter mods internally and play a little more with changing some of the sheeps wool I have placed inside the loud speaker cabinets, for some camel wool, that I got from the zoological garden. It does make a  difference how the speakers sound, but more testing and experimenting is needed.

Then I needed to MOT bot cars and they sailed right through, only to see a week later that I needed som new seals on the drive axles on the Corrado. So had to Work two days on that too. Meanwhile, my wife kindly asked me to redo the veranda outside in the garden, so spent some days doing all of that too. And than my left knee felt better, so in order to stay fit for driving Little Red Riding Hood, I took up running again, not overdoing it of course. Now I've found a special super heat resistant cable sleeving which I will look into for the Esprit, as I am keep on protecting some of those cables from turbo heat. Driving wise, I have found out that the 315 Pirelli P Zero Rosso Assimetrico rear, and the 235 Toyo Proxes Sport Assymetric, is a great combo, that really stick to the road, far beyond what I am supposed to be doing ;) They grip really well, very assuring from the start and while being warm as well, while not making a lot of noise. Nothing scrapes on the Esprit, so no problems with Wheels/tires/bodyshell/suspension arms. So pure fun! And Little Red Riding Hood is most thrilled!

Being out of leather treatment for the Esprit, which I usually treat every two weeks; I usually use Leatherique for Little Red Riding Hood, I called the Danish importer, but they seem to have been shut down. so don't know where to get it any more, with out being heavily punished by a certain Mr. Trump's taxation agenda ;)

Today, I did speak to a company who is supposed to redo the terribly bad made tailgate in carbon fiber that I bought long time ago, but they are really busy, so it will take some months until I get an answer.So lot's of things to do and very little time to be on forums lately, as I have  been working full tiem on my job, not having ben on vacation. I'll update as I get parts, some time in the future...

Cheers,

Jacques

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alright, so went with Yasuo from here to Knutstorp Racetrack yesterday, as there was a trackday with a famous italian brand with a dancing donkey and McLaren. After having read and seen all kinds of not so pleasing stuff related to the later brand, I thought I'd better go there myself and take a closer look. All I can say is this: long lines of porches, and also long lines of ferrari's, lot's of McLaren cars, 1 viper and this Esprit. None broke Down during the day of 6 hours of constant racing.

On the huge carpark inside the track, where guests could park their sportscar, the Esprit caught an insane amount of attention. I'd say near equal to the Senna Edition from said McLaren. Everyone took Photos of Little Red Riding Hood and some asked questions. Unbelievable that a 30 year old Lotus is so lusted for. Most pleased on behalf of Lotus. They (Lotus) should direct FAR more attention to this and all of the old cars. In Sweden and Denmark, there's zero happening from Lotus. Read: nill, 0, zero.  What a shame. Anyway, they must have done something right 30 years ago ;)

All the ferraris' and Mclarens went around the track the Whole day, Again and Again and Again, some cooked their brakes, most didn't. But good fun it was. Sorry, didn't have time to take some snapshots, so here's just one from the now Electric ferry home from Sweden, to the Motherland of Denmark ;)  Looking at the Photo when I came home, it appeared to me, how overdesigned that new audi behind Little Red Riding Hood is. Chaotic lines going in every direction all over. Not my cup of tea, really. But clearly, the audi must have been upset by the beauty of a 30 y.o. because it looked so angry ;)

Also visible is how easy a set of 10,75" rims with 315 rubber hide under those standard Esprit Turbo SE Wheel Arches - no rubbing, no trouble.

Nah, give a 30 y.o. Esprit every time, and I'm a happy bunny.

Kind regards,

Jacques

mclarentur til knutstorp.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 months later...

Okay, so a new set of Nitron NTS 40 road version arrived here. I can add that the springrate is 50N/mm on all four corners, and that the helper springs rear are 15 N/mm.

Adjusting collars are not gold anodised but grey as the damper bodies themselves. Looks very nice. Adjusting knob are on top on all four dampers, and are not blue anodised but black. They have short travel between clicks and a very distinct click to them, so feels nice.

I won't be driving with them untill Spring, so cannot comment till' then on how they perform and with the 50 springrate on my Turbo SE 1990 model. We'll see.

As ca be seen on the picture, there are a few parts accompanying the set, which is not shown in the advertising. This is two upper helperspring platforms and a nicely made springbase adjustment tool. I haven't measured up the distances for the mounting bushings (below), nut those delivered in the set are very nicely made to shape and are offset for the rear dampers.

One ned to buy new bolts, nuts, washers and four sets of damper bush kits, A082C6036F, which is used both front and rear.

IMG_1393.JPG

• Like 2

A funny little thing.

Today I serviced the headlamp power washer system, taking parts apart and cleaning it up. A nice blue Hella plastic bag to contain pump and fluid.

Upon reassembling I found that it didn't work. So I measured all wires: good. Pump: good. Relay: good.

It turns out that Lotus got the system from Landrover Defender and in that car, it is necessary to have the headlamps turned on, the doors closed and only every 3'rd of 4'th time the head lamp jets wash, to save cleaning fluid, and this is done via a timer circuit. It's active only for ½ second.

It works just fine in the Esprit, with the only condition being that the headlamps must be turned on. Also in the Esprit it's only active for ½ second.

That is funny ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques

Aah yes, the illusive headlamp washers. Those are from Range Rover BTW, the Defender never got such tricks. 😉

Filip

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Meanwhile at the batcave:

When you do some of this, you get some of this.

And then apply some of this, to get some of this.

And finally get this. Then onto this.

So, two evenings of work, and they are finally all out. New parts ready to go in, but hey, can't do that, despite no rust at all, so arms are now off for a fresh cup of tea.

Little Red Riding Hood is looking ofrward to get back to a normal state of being.

More later.

Cheers,

Jacques

DPP_0003.JPG

DPP_0004.JPG

DPP_0012.JPG

DPP_0014.JPG

DPP_0018.JPG

DPP_0006.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... yesterday, the battery started to play up, and since no programme to desulfate the battery worked, I went out and got a new battery. To avoid the shop, I paid online, and they wore plasticgloves while carrying the battery outside and placed it safely behing a gate, where I picked it up. Installed and now on full charge. A Varta blue top battery. The old one were a Global and it's heavier, so saved another 2,9 kilogram. Nice bonus.

Meanwhile at the batcave, I have hung up some of the front suspension parts that I'd rid of old crud and rustprotected them, painted them black again and a clearcoat, all in heatresistant paint. Now ready to be reinstalled with other fresh new parts. Basically I want the underside to be the same cleanliness as the rest of the car, so I had the lower front track arms glassblasted and delivered them to dipped in acid and get a new fresh galvanizing. They had no rust at all after 30 years, but had turned a bit black'ish and did not look nice at all on closer insoections, hence the regalvanizing. More later as a pile of parts from a uk supplier are now hopefully being shipped to me, despite the lock down and what not. Hopefully dhl will still get through.Little Red Riding Hood likes the new battery, bus is a bot anxious to be reassembled soon, so she can go outside in the spring sunshine and make some dance moves around an ugly chaos car - 911.

In the meantime, I will try to speak to a driving suit expert, adn ask if they can do some correctly done fire proof embrodery on my race suit. We'll see. CESA - Copenhagen Esprit Saturday Agenda.

Kind regards,

Jacques

rust protecting 1.JPG

black coat andn clear coat 1.JPG

• Like 2

Spent two hours working on installing the two new lower ball joints on the front lower track arms. The big C-clamp tool set that I borrowed, did not fit a Lotus Esprit Turbo SE from 1990, so had to use my vice and a soft alujaw, not to affect the ball itself. That was pretty hard to press in, as my vice is not that big. Now in place. Had to do many other things tonight, so no more time to play with new bushings.

One small step for the track arms, but a giant step for handling ;) 

Cheers,

Jacques

Not yet fully pressed in below, but I managed to bend the adjustment rod on my vice. I think I must make one in better steel.

pressing in new lower front balljoints.JPG

• Like 1