Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Connection issues? - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Connection issues?

Tried to connect the car up to the laptop yesterday, but no dice. But I can't work out if it's the laptop, or the lead. The lead (has a jack plug connector in line) did come from Nige, a member here, so I'm guessing it was working when he had it.

The laptop is an old one, Toshiba SP6000, running XP, and has only ever been used for engine diagnostics using a port other than the USB connection. Although Espritmon and Freescan programmes load up ok, it doesn't seem to want to connect to either.

Anyone in my area got a cable or laptop that I can try, before I rush out and buy new ones?

Margate Exotics.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Gissa call if/when you're at the car and plugged in...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll try and keep to single-syllable words.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Progress report: After updating the laptop USB drivers I managed to get a connection to Espritmon via the boot plug. Freescan didn't want to work though, as I couldn't get it to see the COM6 port.

The two plugs under the glove box, one marked as alarm, wouldn't connect. I've ordered an 3.5mm extension lead so I can run it through the seatbelt slot, with the laptop on the passenger seat. I might put a couple of photos up of the plugs if I get time.

As Espritmon seems to be the better programme, it now remains to read the instructions, have another play, and work out how to save a file for examination by someone who actually knows what they're doing! Probably won't have time for that until next weekend, though.

Margate Exotics.

I had it plugged in under the glove compartment mate and it worked fine,i do seem to remember some problems to get it to work at first but once I got it going it work every time all the time there after.

Not much help I know but the cable deffo ok mate  

The passenger footwell plug on my car is also a bit off compared to the boot one - the wires on the back aren't too robust and need to be redone. Try wiggling them around and see if it connects sporadically after that, then you'll have your answer.

Did you find the plug dangling loosely or was it plugged into its "holder" down there?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

It was plugged into a black plastic socket that is bolted to the back of the glove box, from what I could see, anyway. That's what made it so difficult to locate because purely by feel, it felt like it was plugged into something substantial, rather than simply loosely hanging down like the other diagnostic plug in the boot. The alarm plug also has a black cover, taped on the loom next to it.

The wires look to be robust enough, though. But as Bibs suggested, people can sometimes have problems with those plugs.

Margate Exotics.

Bad connections en route? Or just the distance the tiny bits of current has to travel, maybe?

Here's the plug I found, I think this is the right one -

2014-08-03112529_zps18b509f1.jpg

That is not the correct plug.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thank you for the plug picture Travis, but I can't see it too clearly at all. Also, my car is an S4s, with the revised wiring loom. Given some of the comments about the original fitting of the wiring loom, I'm wondering if I'm actually looking in the wrong place for the plug, it's probably under the driver's side!

Margate Exotics.

Tried that, mixed results. Well, shit results, actually!

The other thing is that the cable cam might be useful for poking into other inaccessible areas. Looking at the condition of your nuts, for example. I'm not as supple as I used to be, and it might help that.

Margate Exotics.