Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ARB Bush Insertion Tool - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ARB Bush Insertion Tool

Bibs

• 7 months later...

I'd just like to publicly thank PilotSteve for the loan of his ARB insertion 'special tool'.

Steve kindly posted it to me this week and I've just finished inserting both of my ARB bushes, which took less than an hour!

I simply cut out the old ones using a Stanley knife and inserted the new ones using Steve's special cone and some 10mm studding, nuts and washers to wind them in. This worked a treat and meant unlike using a press, I could wind them in from the front, hence only having to compress and pop the narrower part of the bush through the collar.

I did one off the car as the arm was already off but the other on the car, which saved me a few hours of disassembly and reassembly of the n/s suspension.

Altogether one of the easiest jobs I've tackled on my Esprit and I have to say I was dreading it!

Once again, thanks Steve! Top man.

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Bushes need to be coated w/lubricant to go in without a protest.

I found good results using non-synthetic Lucas Engine Oil Treatment, it is amazing!

http://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil-additives/lucas-heavy-duty-oil-stabilizer

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

I would not use a petroleum product on rubber bushings, since petroleum oils will swell and speed up degradation of the bushing.  You also don't want anything that will last and remain as a lubricant, as that will also degrade the bushing faster.

A silicone lube is good for brake piston o-rings, or fuel tank seal o-rings, but bad for bushings, since it will never wash off.

The P-80 lube or dish soap will easily wash away.  Bushings need to operate in torsion or compression only, no rotation or relative motion.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Would detergent and water be a lubrication option like tyre fitters use?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I used some cheap washing up liquid and washed it through with water afterwards. Same for re-inserting the ARB into the bushes in conjunction with a couple of ratchet straps (another tip from PilotSteve).

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• 3 weeks later...

I used some cheap washing up liquid and washed it through with water afterwards. Same for re-inserting the ARB into the bushes in conjunction with a couple of ratchet straps (another tip from PilotSteve).

I just did mine Sunday, required 3 ratchet straps to pull the ARB into the new bushings.  The third strap was needed to keep the bar from distorting out of alignment on the far side as it was pulled into the first side bushing.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 2 months later...

I have recently done this job and all other bushes, this was the only one that defeated me.

Having taken them to my tame local garage I got a call to collect them a couple of days later. They were all done lovely however he had originally not been able to get them in he told me. Turned out that he had to ask someone who simply told him the answer was red rubber grease. To which he commented with that they popped straight in.

So to those looking for lubrication for this I would suggest you hunt out some red rubber grease.

Hi Mark, I have been around just had other things I needed to turn my attention to so the esprit has been rather neglected for a long time. So having had an advisory with its last MOT for bush play in my fashion I decided that was a complete suspension rebuild and poly bush needed!

I am now getting back to it and that is finished and engine has been gone through not bad for it to start with a mornings fettling following nearly 7yrs lay up!

Anyway it has suffered as it lost its garage so now needs a load of interior work and new paint as has been rather sun baked all good fun! Should be out in it soon despite it looking like it has eczema.

anyway enough thread de-railing catch up with everyone soon.

I'm glad this thread didn't exist when I did mine the old Esprit. I got them in with little trouble, using washing up liquid as above, but I do recall getting very apprehensive when I saw 8 tons coming up on the press, and wondering how I would know when they were home. Then the big bang gave me the clue! But they both went in with no damage.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Having had the uk one on my desk for a long while now. 

I can now confirm its officially on its way to mr @Corban - so he's the man to contact when you need it.

please post up here when moved on and at least everyone knows where this tool is :thumbup:

• Like 1

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...

The tool is now on my desk here in Sweden. I must say it worked like a charm. Lube it up proper and just press it in. No 8 tons needed, don't think I even reached 1 and this was with the thicker end first
which at first worried me. I fitted poly ones so I can't verify the rubber ones are equally easy to fit. The tool will get stuck but it is easy to remove using a crowbar between wishbone and tool rim.
Now I can start putting the front suspension back together and hopefully take her for a spin this weekend.

If you need the tool, the way Barry and I did was very smooth. PM me and I'll give you the pick up address. Goto "parcel2go.com" and book shipping.

• Like 1

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

• 4 months later...

hi all

I finally got round to buying a 20 ton press and am looking forward to changing out all my bushings. Anyone want to lend me that famous insertion tool??

Cheers in advance!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

It would seem @Corban has dropped off the face of the earth... :S 

• Gold FFM

Is he not replying to you all?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hasn't been any activity from him since October. I'm not sure he still has it though, because he fixed the ARB bush a while back well before I even had the possiblity to press them in. 

• Gold FFM

I have just sent him an email. Let's wait and see if that helps. :)