Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cam cover paint colour for Esprit S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cam cover paint colour for Esprit S4

Gibbie

I've got to change the cambelt on my Esprit soon. I want to respray the cam covers, charge cooler etc whilst I'm at it.

Does anyone know definitively who supplies the red crackle to match the original colour? I have found a few threads on the subject but don't seem to have found a consistent answer!

Thanks guys.

I believe it's a powder coating, not a simple spray paint.

One solution is to spray it a red wrinkle paint, then overspray it with an ordinary paint, Rover Vermilion is a perfect color match.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

Red Crackle Finish A912E6830V

Think that's the one according to LEW.

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

The paint was supplied by Colorcote in Potash Lane, right next to CTL opposite the factory.

http://www.colorcote.co.uk/

They list 'stove enamel' under the 'wet paint' section but you'd link that would last a very long time bearing in mind it's application.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Thanks to all for your help.

I'm going to the Lotus Factory on 15 th Oct. so will contact the original supplier and try to pick some up whilst I'm there!

Paul

I repainted all of the "red" parts on my engine while I was rebuilding it. I used a crinkle finish paint. It turned out very well, looks great when its just done. But once the dust and dirt gets on it from normal engine use it can't be cleaned that good. The dirt / grease seems to get embedded in the crinkle finish and you'll be pissed off like I am now after spending so much time in painting the covers and my engine is still on the engine stand. If I was doing it again I would use a normal high temperature gloss finish paint so it would resist the oil better and be easier to keep clean.

Cheers

Dave

I thought Alex Carter's V8 cam covers looked pretty cool :-)

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/uploads/post-14598-0-86738000-1405980912.jpg

Cheers,

John W

• 1 month later...

I finally got on with servicing my Esprit and have now dealt with the cam covers.

In case it helps anyone else:-

One cam cover was in good condition with just a couple of minor chips. These I touched in with Ford sunburst red in stick form from Wilco direct. It's a good match.

The other cam cover I stripped and completely resprayed with the Frost crinkle red paint. It too is a good match. Just slightly glossy compared with the original!

A picture of the two covers attached. The nearest is the one I resprayed.

Gibbie

post-11455-0-84202600-1414409561.jpg

Sorry it's upside down!

Gibbie

I always thought the frosts was a much darker red than original, the original being quite orangey?

I was sure the paint suppled by Colorcote was the stuff used on the V8 engines only, not the wrinkle paint used on the 4cyl engines.

Chunky Lover

No. I followed up Bibs lead on Colorcote. They say they did indeed do the s4 cam covers etc.. However they do not supply paint now. They can offer to redo your cam covers, inter cooler etc but you will obviously be off the road for a while.

Simon is correct in suggesting that the Frost paint is not an exact match. But u can see from my picture it's not bad.

Gibbie

No. I followed up Bibs lead on Colorcote. They say they did indeed do the s4 cam covers etc.. However they do not supply paint now. They can offer to redo your cam covers, inter cooler etc but you will obviously be off the road for a while.

Simon is correct in suggesting that the Frost paint is not an exact match. But u can see from my picture it's not bad.

Gibbie

Hi Gibbie

Just a quick bit of info please...

How did you prepare the aluminium?

Did you mask off the "fins" or sand the paint off afterwards?

Did you use painstriper first? Any primer? Oven bake?

Looking to do this on mine while I'm waiting for various other parts before the final build.

Cheers

Glyn

Edited by glynherron

Hi Glyn

Yes I was a bit thin on detail wasn't i?

I used a paint stripper to remove the old crinkle paint, then used a flex shaft and wire brush to abrade all the surface to be painted.

I used a file to remove any damage to the ribs, and then repolished them using 1200 wet and dry and finally solvol autosol.

The gasket faces also needed refinishing with 1200 wet and dry.

I then degreased the whole component using thinners.

I masked all the ribs, using a Lino knife to cut alongside the polished rib faces and oil filler neck.

I also masked the entire gasket face to stop paint spoiling that surface and entering the cam cover internal cavity.

No primer was used, as per Frosts instructions. Also I was not able to identify a high temp primer.

About 3 or 4 dust coats to build the colour.

Then u need a reasonably heavy coat of the crinkle red to get the wrinkle to appear. The crinkles appear gradually during the drying process. After initial drying (24 hrs) I put the part on a radiator indoors for a further 24 hrs.

It's now safe to remove the masking with care. Any small tails of paint left by the masking tape can be carefully removed with a piece of 1200 wet and dry.

I got two cans of the paint on ebay for under £20.

U may prefer to paint without masking and then expose the fin and letters by abrasion. I was concerned that the paint would chip around the fin edges so opted for masking.

Anyhow - good luck!

Gibbie

Hi Glyn

I used a paint stripper to remove the old crinkle paint, then used a flex shaft and wire brush to abrade all the surface to be painted.

I used a file to remove any damage to the ribs, and then repolished them using 1200 wet and dry and finally solvol autosol.

I masked all the ribs, using a Lino knife to cut alongside the polished rib faces and oil filler neck.

I also masked the entire gasket face to stop paint spoiling that surface and entering the cam cover internal cavity.

No primer was used, as per Frosts instructions. Also I was not able to identify a high temp primer.

Then u need a reasonably heavy coat of the crinkle red to get the wrinkle to appear. The crinkles appear gradually during the drying process. After initial drying (24 hrs) I put the part on a radiator indoors for a further 24 hrs.

It's now safe to remove the masking with care. Any small tails of paint left by the masking tape can be carefully removed with a piece of 1200 wet and dry.

U may prefer to paint without masking and then expose the fin and letters by abrasion. I was concerned that the paint would chip around the fin edges so opted for masking.

Anyhow - good luck!

Gibbie

Thanks Gibbie for taking the time to reply in such detail. It is much appreciated.

Glyn

Hi Glyn

Anyhow - good luck!

Gibbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

Much appreciated

Glyn

• 2 months later...