Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1982 Eclat Riviera restoration...... - Page 10 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1982 Eclat Riviera restoration......

Benco

Yeah I have. The push switches come out fairly easily; the sides of the switch have a bit of raised plastic that keeps them in position. If you get your nails on the top and bottom of the switch and wiggle/pull, they should come out. The light controls are a little more complex and the heater controls require the console panel taking out to get at them; same with the radio I think.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Excuse me jumping in but I’ve (just) “been there, (just) done that.”

It’ll be the plastic straps holding the fibre optic lights in place that are stopping the switches coming out easily.

In the centre console if you pull out the 2 air vents, just inside in the top corners are 2 retaining nuts (10mm IIRC) holding the console to the centre moulding. The vents are held in place by flat metal retainers and can be tricky to pull through the console plate.

Take these off and it should release the console enough to remove the plastic straps surrounding the switches. These hold the fibre optic lights to the switches and need to be removed to be able to remove the switches from the console plate.

It might be easier/looser if you disconnect the 4 nuts holding the heater controls panel, 1 in each corner.

They switches on mine just pulled through easily.

Fibre optic cables available on ebay which is also where I sourced some ‘Fablon’ wood grain sticky back plastic.

Drawing below shows location of nuts as small circles

Eclat Centre Console red.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks both, and very happy for anyone who’s been there to jump in! 🙂🙂

I have some free time later today and can’t wait to get stuck onto this, great advice thank-you!

• Like 1

Ongoing restoration photos on the Dropbox link.

On 20/07/2022 at 22:57, Gray14 said:

Excuse me jumping in but I’ve (just) “been there, (just) done that.”

It’ll be the plastic straps holding the fibre optic lights in place that are stopping the switches coming out easily.

In the centre console if you pull out the 2 air vents, just inside in the top corners are 2 retaining nuts (10mm IIRC) holding the console to the centre moulding. The vents are held in place by flat metal retainers and can be tricky to pull through the console plate.

Take these off and it should release the console enough to remove the plastic straps surrounding the switches. These hold the fibre optic lights to the switches and need to be removed to be able to remove the switches from the console plate.

It might be easier/looser if you disconnect the 4 nuts holding the heater controls panel, 1 in each corner.

They switches on mine just pulled through easily.

Fibre optic cables available on ebay which is also where I sourced some ‘Fablon’ wood grain sticky back plastic.

Drawing below shows location of nuts as small circles

Eclat Centre Console red.jpg

Hi - again thanks for this, really helpful. Just a quick question:

The two nuts just above the heater vents were wing nuts, so very easy to remove.

However trying to reach the others up / around the heater controls are really tricky to get to…. Any advice/angles that might work better?

Thanks 

Hi, After removing the 2 nuts holding the console in place it should loosen it up to be able to slightly turn it both ways so that the nuts holding the heater control in place can be accessed and loosened.

The heater control cables are what are making it difficult to access.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham, thanks for the advice, very happy to say that the panel is out!

Now I’ve been able to access the rear of all of the switches and try to see if I’ve power to them. 

1) No power to the light switch, so I’ve remade the connection at the positive post of the starter motor. This still didn’t help, so I found the loom connection in the drivers footwell and found that contacts there were corroded. Once these were cleaned up it was great to have power to the light switch. As I had all of the switches out I’ve given them a good clean up, with 1200 grit paper and degreased them. However this switch is behaving badly still, so will try and find another that will hopefully be in better shape.

2) I have power to the fan switch but sadly no life here. I’ve gone through and mapped how the switch worked and interestingly the wiring diagram for the 2.2 Eclat is different to how it is on the car. I know that I don’t have air con, and I can see these wires taped up on the loom. So I connected it up as the diagram, only to find a little smoke coming out of the grill. I guess the fan motors are seized? These can only come out with a dashboard removal? 

Good news is that headlamp motors, lights are all working. Now only the wipers, and indicators as well to get working!

996CB8F8-0B03-4B2A-B4FA-F4356BB2631B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The hard wax and the polyurethane will likely give you two very different results in terms of colour.   The wax will normally bring out the colour and the grain in the wood much better than the sealers.  A two part epoxy or polyurethane will give a harder, easier to maintain finish - a primer used first can also affect/help with the final colour.  The gloss levels of the finish will also differ - hard wax will be matt, 2-part sealers will normally come in a range of gloss levels - from matt to gloss.  The hard wax will also be a fairly thin protective layer, the others are much thicker....

Neil.

• Like 1

I prefer a matt or satin finish, my still original Excel is a subtle satin and when I do see gloss woodwork in Excel, perhaps a restored finish, it doesn't look quite right to me. For me, gloss woodwork belongs in 50s 60s cars, though I still prefer the more matt veneer in the very early Elan's. 

I personally wouldn't use wax, a varnish would seem more appropriate for a car interior. Very thin coats, built up slowly. 

Justin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a great day it must be. I know the feeling well...been there done that many times.

Great job !!

I was wondering if you got the exhaust manifold attached?

I remember taken it off my 907 for the first time. Took me 2 hours as you can't see it from the top and you can't see it from the bottom so it is just a feel and try to get a wrench ( I modified a box one ) on the exhaust nut to take it off.

I looked in the shop manual but nothing telling you a better way to access this job. 

But, if you loosen the exhaust side motor mount, and jack gently up the engine will you can not only see the nuts but you can easily make everything come together.  Just my two cents on this engine.

cheers,

Richard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benco said:

Then onto the carbs!

Make sure you don't overnighter them, check the manual if you're not sure.

Edited by jonwat
  • Like 1

Cheers,

John W

1 hour ago, Elite 4.9 said:

What a great day it must be. I know the feeling well...been there done that many times.

Great job !!

I was wondering if you got the exhaust manifold attached?

I remember taken it off my 907 for the first time. Took me 2 hours as you can't see it from the top and you can't see it from the bottom so it is just a feel and try to get a wrench ( I modified a box one ) on the exhaust nut to take it off.

I looked in the shop manual but nothing telling you a better way to access this job. 

But, if you loosen the exhaust side motor mount, and jack gently up the engine will you can not only see the nuts but you can easily make everything come together.  Just my two cents on this engine.

cheers,

Richard

Yes thanks, exhaust manifold is on - although it did seem to get in the way a little - took a bit of work to get it past the engine mount location on that side.

• Like 2

That looks superb!

Is that the Getrag gearbox? If so do you have any pictures of the gear lever ball joint, and more interestingly did you have to replace any of the bushes in the base of the gear level?

It looks very similar to a Getrag 265 I have in a different car, and im trying to find a source for the gear level bushes.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Benco said:

. I have to say carb balancing is probably beyond me,

Get yourself one of these, they make balancing very easy & give perfect results. Here's instructions on how to do it manually.

Those cam cover gaskets need to be stuck in place with silicone or they'll move with the vibration & leak badly which is probably what the DPO found. Why doesn't neither of them have an oil filler cap?

Well done on getting her running, now get driving her. :driving:

Edited by jonwat

Cheers,

John W

Thanks Jonwat, looks like another investment and then just the remaining work to do (which will probably take longer than I think it will 🙂).

The cam covers are cleaned up and sealed down properly (famous last words), the lighting wasn’t great in the photo, and the oil filler cap was so rusty that I ended up painting it with black engine enamel for the time being, until I acquire another.

Looking forward to getting on the road, maybe with a goal of a Haynes Breakfast Club meet (on a British Classics morning).

• Like 2