Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S4S for hire ! - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S4S for hire !

hotrodwizard

After trawling the Internet browsing at esprits for sale I couldn't believe my eye's when I found my old esprit S4S for hire !! I was glad to see it but not sure how I feel about it being hired out !!!

I suppose if it gets more people to appreciate them then that's good !! But I would worry it wouldn't be treated like one of the family like I'd always treated it !! Ie with loving care !!!!!!

Yep it's very sad !! I just keep thinking would I have ever hired it out in order to be able to keep it !! But I just couldn't have done it ! I would rather sell to someone who would hopefully look after it properly than hire it out !! I don't think anyone looks after a hire car like their own !!!

I suspect most people on here would feel like that !!

Very nice, reminds me of my old one which looked identical & makes me wonder where they get the "only 2 made in this colour combination" from :lol:

Cheers,

John W

I spent years looking to rent an Esprit before I bought one! I would have paid a small fortune too. I don't think it's too bad renting one out. I hope they have a nice selection process to weed out the idiots though, over 30s, must be wearing a Bond suit, that type of thing. But in general it would probably be genuine enthusiasts trying to get their hands on their dream car. Just tell them to wait until it's warm and take it easy with the crappy gearbox and all should be fine.

At least I now know where to look if I ever sell mine and need an Esprit fix.

I'd pay that on a vacation trip to the UK.  It's nice that it includes 200 miles per day.  Around here, they don't give you many miles, so unless you just park it in front of the mall and sit it in, it gets very expensive for exotic rental.

As someone from Texas with big open straight roads, I'd like to experience an Esprit in its native country, so it would be worth it to me.  The relatively small Esprit is dwarfed by the huge SUV and pickups around here.

The only problem is that I would have to fight the urge to fettle the car while I had it to fix all the little things that are bound to be ignored by someone renting it out.

Edited by lotusespritse

I wouldn't rent mine but must admit I have toid with the idea of wedding hires etc

Not sure what it woul be like with insurance etc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I see you’ve found our Lotus S4S for hire, and also see you have mixed feelings about whether it should be hired or not. The general view seems to be that because it’s hired it will be mistreated, won’t be properly maintained, and is destined for an early grave.

The reality is somewhat different. An important part of the economics of Classic Car hire is maintaining the value of the cars, so it’s important to keep up maintenance. Also, a customer paying £300.00 for the privilege of driving it for a day expects a high standard – maintenance again.

As regards treatment by hirers, they are car enthusiasts and treat the cars accordingly. I know there’s always one, but they are the exception not the rule. We had one customer who took our Morgan for a weekend, and according to his wife, washed and polished it twice!

I may be wrong, but reading between the lines you appear to think that classic car hire is like any other car hire, but it’s not really car hire, it’s an experience day where customers have a brilliant day out in the car they’ve always wanted.

Whilst hiring the cars is a business, it’s equally about car enthusiasts sharing their cars with other enthusiasts. And just to get the plug in at the end, if you don’t believe me come and hire it!

What would be the views on buying an ex-hire Esprit ?

would it be a lower value car?

Or an outright no-no?

or - maybe no difference?

Graham

How would you know its an ex hire car is where you would probably start ? :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

How would you know its an ex hire car is where you would probably start ? :)

Here in the US, the CarFax report shows the history of a car, including if it was a company lease vehicle or a rental.

I for one would not want to own a car that was previously a rental.  Even with the Esprit, which probably gets 9 out of 10 renters that treat it well, that 1 out of 10 can put a lot of wear and tear on one of these cars.  

The "previous owner syndrome" is bad enough with Esprits that are owned by only 3 or 4 owners.  

A significantly large percentage of the used car stock in the UK is either ex rental, or ex lease. wirhour them thoug, we'd not have enough used stock to service the demand.

Car search over here doesn't differentiate.

Would you prefer an ex-rental Esprit which has been meticulously maintained, or an ex-privately owned car that's been kept going on a shoe string and despite looking shiny, due to the amount of regular polishing, has had its dirty bits neglected significantly.

Chunky Lover

Here in the US, the CarFax report shows the history of a car, including if it was a company lease vehicle or a rental.

I for one would not want to own a car that was previously a rental.  Even with the Esprit, which probably gets 9 out of 10 renters that treat it well, that 1 out of 10 can put a lot of wear and tear on one of these cars.  

Does that include the Hertz 'rent a racer' 1966 Shelby Mustang? ;) 

2006_shelby_hertz_gt350h_rs1.jpg

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250