Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Twin exhaust outlets? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Twin exhaust outlets?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

my 89SE has a twin exit Stebro exhaust.  Everyone mistakes it for a V8 looking at it, but even when they can't see it and they only hear it, everyone thinks it's a V8.  My SE sounds different than any other 89+ Esprit I have heard.  Much less of a sewing machine sound to it.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Mine had a twin tail silencer fitted when  I bought it. It looked  much better than a factory  single..................however the full alunox stainless manifold straight through system with 2 silencers drives much much  better.  How much of that is the silencer and how much the manifold I don't know. 

I have a hard time imagining a twin- or quad-exit exhaust giving any performance gains over a regular single exit variant - other than making the car look cooler (which does make it 30% faster by default). But seriously I can't envision gas flow improvements running things through more channels rather compared to a single exit exhaust (assuming the system starts at the cat).

I'm currently thinking of a quad-exit exhaust for my SE.....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I doubt the exhaust system alone would make for a big improvement. Maybe a small one. I think mine revs more freely than a stock one, but as it's two cars, it can be down to valve adjustment, etc. It's more the sum of many small Things, that in totallity makes a change for the better.

So, A good manifold, that let the gas escape freely, with out sucking out any fresh gas, a good flow, enough capasity, a free flowing cat (one se- onwards), and fianlly the exhaust system. Therefore go for all. And by then one may think of filters, ramair etc.

I am sure some people on here would have some test bed rolls to show the difference.

The amount of tipe in the end of it all Means nothing in my view, other than looking good or purposefull.

As an example, on my Corrado G60, I made up a full system, incl. a free flow cat, and it gave surprisingly much more power and Nm's. So it pays to do it, if you can have it approved. I went from 178 Hp to 192 stock engine, but mine is a late type with cylinderhead mods ab factory. An S4s may have cylinderhead mods as well from factory? In that case, it may respond better than say a SE.

Just my 2-pence.

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I can vouch for that!

Aftermarket manifold, stainless straight through center pipe and a Hayward and Scott back box put on there by the previous owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOkWRXp1Eks

straight out exit with no cat and no muffler is best for power with turbo, at all revs.  Also best for flames!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsvuvZIMZ8&list=UUD8NPkiz7qpBNvBDO2jD9-w

Edited by cammmy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine made up a twin exhaust outlet for a N/A Twin cam engined kit car and it lost power according to the dyno reading blocking the Y piece returned the power interestingly only 1 or 2 % but that's quite a lot when you only have 130 BHP to start with.

I guess a Turbo car won't be as sensitive

Certainly not, as a turbo engined car needs to get rid of the gas, not restricted it. I gained 14 hp by installing a larger exhaust all the way incl. a sports cat on my Corrado G60. Interested in seeing what my SE will have after completion.

Cheers,

Jacques ;)

Punky, do you have the comlete kit, or just the Arches?

And what about the interrior (sport300)?

Is it a pain to install, or any mods I would have to make on a SE?

Your Futura's, are they standard sized, or did you make them have wider lips to accomodate even wider tires?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Complete kit but no rear spoiler.

Standard NA interior apart from S4 center console and Momo wheel.

The kit was already installed (badly) Its better now but the original arches have been ground down underneath.

Standard size Futuras and tyres but with spacers on the rear.

ESPRITSIDE.jpg

While looking at Sport300 pics on the web, I've come across many with old style door. Is that original maybe from 1993 and then  in 1994 they had new type doors? Or is it look alikes etc ?

Cheers,

Jacques ;)

I don't think they were made with the old style doors...there are a LOT of 'fakes' out there.

According to LEW, only 1 Sport 300 was made in 1992. New doorhandles came in 1993 with the S4/ Julian Thompson redesign.

/kim.com

/Kim 

Proud member of Watford Exotic Scandinavian Team...

I think I'll eat my hat. I could have SWORN all the press photos I'd seen had the newer handles. 

On another note, I wish I could get a hold of the 16" and 17" Futuras - the proportions look so much better than 17" and 18"...