Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 23 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

No, REAL men don't feel the need to measure it.

Overheard on the Brooklands banking yesterday after the photo shoot:

Lotus Owner 1: "Well that was an anticlimax"
Lotus Owner 2: "That's not the first time that has come out of your mouth"
Lotus Owner 1 Wife: <smirks>

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• 4 weeks later...

Rear hub bearings -

On the way back from Sunday's meeting, we noticed a new noise which got progressively worse, and sounded like we were being shadowed by a squadron of Lancaster bombers. The car already sounds like a Mk9 Supermarine Spitfire, what with that damned boy-racer exhaust, but this was something definitely dodgy. Suspecting a wheel bearing, I got the car up on the lift, and sure enough, the left rear wheel was decidedly wobbly. I also decided to replace both rear bearing sets, as I was surprised at how quickly the bearing started to fail, and I have no desire to be out and about with a wheel hanging off. On other cars I've had they normally gave plenty of warning, but not this one.

Following the service notes, wheel and hub nut removed, then the pin and clip from the rear caliper. Removed the disc, and undid the caphead bolts through the hub flange.

2016-06-01%2017.43.38_zpshil5y9j6.jpg

I had a look at the bearing and hub, and decided to use the gear puller to separate them, as I couldn't see how they could be easily pressed out without some kind of collar, which I don't have. Still, with 'Big Bertha' the gear puller on them, they never stood a chance.

2016-06-02%2017.28.55_zpsghhwsihh.jpg

This unfortunately leaves the inner race still on the hub, which I'm going to angle grind off tomorrow; there's no gap for a puller.

2016-06-02%2017.44.15_zpsqa257w2w.jpg

Looking at both bearings, aside from the wear, one is kind of dry, the grease looks decidedly dirty, and I suspect they're the originals from new with whatever dust and other rubbish has crept in there.

2016-06-02%2017.31.59_zpslnp7wpy3.jpg

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

My bearings were the same when I got my S4s.......With massive play on the drivers side.......used a dremel on the remainder of the bearing to get it off. Cheap enough to replace....standard Renault bearing.........and don't believe that the lotus supplied ones are upgrades....I got my local bearing supplier to check and they are the same.

@davevr6car, did you get a cross reference for the bearing, a part number, manufacturer or which Renault it is used on please?

I had the same situation with my nearside rear, the repairer took it down the local bearing shop and got one off the shelf, nothing special about these at all.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

1 hour ago, swindon_alan said:

@davevr6car, did you get a cross reference for the bearing, a part number, manufacturer or which Renault it is used on please?

I had the same situation with my nearside rear, the repairer took it down the local bearing shop and got one off the shelf, nothing special about these at all.

No, I haven't got a cross reference as yet, Alan. I shall see what I can find when I get time.

46 minutes ago, andydclements said:

Item location: Panevezys, Lithuania.

I got mine from PNM in Cheshire instead.

Margate Exotics.

Looking at the old bearings, the lip seals looked decidedly chatty, and I reckon ingress of dirt is what probably what caused the failure, especially given the state of the grease, and their 20-year old vintage.

Anyway,  I angle-ground the inner races down as far as I dared, then split them using a 4lb club-hammer and nice big chisel. One good donk, and bingo, off they came.

Gave the hubs a good old clean up, and pressed the new bearings on. I'm hoping they're pre-loaded with grease, or it'll be embarrassing......... I just need to clean up the seating areas in the uprights and make sure the bolt holes are clear before they can go back in.

image.jpeg

Margate Exotics.

Given the sealing arrangement, I suspected the new bearings were pre-packed with grease. A call to PNM proved fruitless, so I took the plunge. After a 50 mile run, they're still fine, so that's a relief. I have been advised to check the torque after a few hundred miles, so that is going on the list. It wasn't a bad job to do at all, but it does need a decent bearing puller, careful use of an angle grinder, and hammer and chisel.

One odd thing I found was that the 6 caphead bolts for retaining each bearing were different side-to-side. One side had 5mm hex socket (thought I might have had problems there), the other side was 6mm. Yet the bolts are otherwise identical. They looked original, so I guess that's just another Lotus idiosyncrasy!

Further inspection of the original bearings showed that the grease that remained inside was discoloured, more like wax, and the lipseals were hardened with age, so they were worth changing. The replacements were original Lotus supply, SNR bearings, although as usual there will be other manufacturers supplying them.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...