Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 50 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Tasty B-)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

Shan won't let anyone in it.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I literally shed oil and grease 24 hours a day. I'll be banished for life.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

@ian29gte > I may be wrong, but I think your centre tunnel "cap" should be mounted the other way round — with the elevated side at the rear (Otherwise, it's mine which is backwards :o)

(impressive work by the way!)

Oh, and on a side note, what is that "bar" on the passenger side on the top of the fascia which his always (?) present on the cars which have no passenger SIR?

EDIT: on second thought and after looking for photos on the Internet, it may well be mine that is mounted backwards indeed. I would be curious to know the general consensus ... ^^

Edited by Giniw

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

If only @ian29gtehad taken more pictures before he ripped it to bits - he would have been able to put it back together correctly ?

As if I'm not already being constantly reminded of the fact!:rolleyes:

Giniw, the general consensus is that your tunnel top is on back-to-front.

And the bar to which you refer to is the crash-pad, the purpose of which I have no idea, as it's so hard that it would never protect anyone in the event of a crash!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Well all right then, I wonder why mine is backwards. Probably the same guy who installed the front indicators too. Thanks a lot!
(By the way, I just noticed your steering wheel is the wrong side, too!! :o)

Looks great Ian!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

34 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Giniw, please have patience, Ian hasn't finished his refurb yet, this is a mock up of the completed bar. The passenger will obviously be Sparky.

ian_pumps.jpg.327921cc8d70ef819ed8379e6f17165b.jpg

Sod that, Sparky can drive!

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

5 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Duh Ian, my interior is exactly the same as yours and untouched original. I can/could have taken reference pics for you...

Thing is, as I've discovered (and Sparky has too with the God-awful SE saga), unless you've owned the car from new, you just cannot be sure who's been in there and taken what off in the past. You only find out when you have a go yourself and you see the bits you've taken off don't match the parts manual. Or you find something upside down, or back to front. Or maybe you see a photo of another car that has something fitted differently to yours. It may, for example, have the number plate screw holes slightly pissed, or a pair of front wishbones arse about face. You just never know.

Margate Exotics.

I bought new window seal for the driver's door from Bibs a couple of years ago, but never got around to replacing it. The window has always been quick to raise, but painfully slow to lower, to the point that sometimes it would jam. I picked up a couple of brand new right and left hand window motor assemblies at some point, intending to change the offending one.

So, before I put the driver's door card on permanently, I thought it best to change the complete assembly, however on removing the inspection hatch, found the rear lower window channel seal had split, and been transformed into a series of shark's fins.

Removing the old seal took about 10 seconds. Replacing it with a new one took a good bit longer, and involved some head scratching. It's arguably a two-person job, and would be tricky to achieve on your own without removing the door frame, but we got there. It now seems the glass is not quite entering the channel at the top perfectly, so it looks like I need to realign either the frame, or the glass, but I haven't figured out how to do that just yet, preferring to retire for drinkies.

In other news, I connected the battery, and nothing went up in smoke. This is a personal victory, as 'er indoors suggested that after all my handiwork, I may want to have a fire extinguisher to hand. As any bloke would do, I brushed off this sleight with a snort of derision, and two fingers.

IMG_4267.JPG

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Before  you fit the trim rails above the door apertures make sure any wires and the plastic  vacuum tube for the heater controls are well clipped together and have maybe some foam around them to top them rattling about.   Annoying when you  have to take 2-3 other bits apart to rectify. 

20 minutes ago, mdw said:

Before  you fit the trim rails above the door apertures make sure any wires and the plastic  vacuum tube for the heater controls are well clipped together and have maybe some foam around them to top them rattling about.   Annoying when you  have to take 2-3 other bits apart to rectify. 

Thanks Malcolm.

Margate Exotics.