Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 79 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Thankfully, the oil strainer gauze has come up clean enough to pass the wife's inspection after a good deal of attention, so I can refit it to the pick up pipe, and secure the lid. This is good as it means I don't have to buy a new one. The pistons measured up within specification, so are reusable, yet another bonus. The cash savings of both these has prompted me to order an LSD for the gearbox to be fitted while it's being stripped and resealed.

No progress has been made for a couple of days on red wrinkle paint removal, however. She really does need to get a move on.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As can be seen on another thread, putting the charge cooler in the oven to harden the paint off turned out to be less popular than I thought. Relations are almost back to normal now, but I'll have to figure out another paint-curing method.

I'm now at the stage where I'm waiting for bits to arrive. Main bearing shells are OOS, which means I can't start building even if I had the rest of the stuff. Vernier sprockets, cam tensioner are also OOS. The gearbox parts are apparently somewhere in the delivery pipeline.

I should be able to pick the alloy parts up from the cleaners this afternoon, so it's not all bad news, I'll have lots of shiny bits to sit and look at.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil pump assembly ready to go, thanks to Dave for advice on a couple of the finer points. No movement on the outstanding parts front, so I’m on to cleaning up what I’ve got, which I’d have to do anyway. I’ve decided to leave spraying the red wrinkle finish on the alloy bits until the weather warms up a few degrees in the hope of getting a decent finish.

BE1A7C78-8F81-4E63-AFA9-3B49546DA704.jpeg

85CFF604-2957-46DC-B6BF-2CD2FC694C5D.jpeg

1C54B897-C36C-4AD6-A4EF-74CCB1D89A9B.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You really know how to treat a woman.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

She's like a SOCO; she'd find DNA.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

It's VHT red wrinkle plus.

Now the wife has cleaned the engine bay so I don't get dirty, I took the opportunity to fit a new power steering pump. Easy job with no engine in the way, a bit different from when it's in situ.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Outstanding!  You live and learn.

The Loctite 572 datasheet says to use localised heat (to about 250 dec C) for disassembly and removal of the cured sealant can be done by a 'combination of soaking in Loctite solvent and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush'.

I wouldn't want to scrub the liner bores with a wire brush.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Finally, I tried some of the Frosts Strop Gel paint remover

Good to know it didn't do any harm to the aluminium alloy, thanks!

Is the remaining Loctite material that hard to remove? Its surprising the liners can be pulled without difficulties?

Edited by Giniw

14 hours ago, sailorbob said:

The Loctite 572 datasheet says to use localised heat (to about 250 dec C) for disassembly and removal of the cured sealant can be done by a 'combination of soaking in Loctite solvent and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush'.

I wouldn't want to scrub the liner bores with a wire brush.

Precisely the same data sheet Loctite sent me just after I’d finished the job. Although I gave them the full details, in their response they appeared to simply toe the company line. I also finished them off with fine emery paper, not a wire brush. The Strip Gel worked well.

giniw - the liners were more difficult to remove due to them being coated in the Loctite from the landing face downwards, which caused them to drag. I am told this is not the case with every engine, depends on what Lotus were doing at that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.