Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

That one as well as where the cables connect to the translator - the latter worked loose on my SE after a few drives. I now have to re-adjust it again to get 1st gear as smooth as can be... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Well, obviously there's no leeway on the cable rod ends, it's a whole turn or nothing, but the fixed rod is for sure a different thing. I'm surprised that it isn't a right/left handed rod. At least that way adjustment could be made a damn sight easier. I might even do that at some point when I get completely pissed off cos I can't select any gears.

Margate Exotics.

Not sure if I entirely agree on that last part - I seem to recall the threaded end coming out of the cable as being free to rotate in place  - hence if the "lock nut" to one of the translator ball-joints works loose, the thread can move around changing the overall angle of the translator. For my part, that tiny amount of movement made it a lot less fun to select 1st - it went from smooth to notchy. 

Dunno if this is of any helps but when I refitted the gearshift cables I tried to attach them to the translator with no "preload" so to speak - i.e. so that the gearstick was as undisturbed as possible when fitting (no perceived movement up front), if that makes any sense. With that done and the rod set so that the translator was (upon ocular inspection) set in accordance with the 'shop manual, I was able with the help of my brother to tinker with the linkage as he selected gears up front. Of course the true test comes when driving (we found out that certain gears would feel fine standing still but be notchy on the road) - upon which the relevant adjustment is made when back in the garage. It's not too much of a hassle really if I'm honest. One of the less annoying jobs the car has to offer. Certainly your proposed mod would make it easier, but I don't think you'll need to disturb the translator that often after you get it right. 2 hours and a crate of beer (alcohol-free if you're gonna drive between adjustments... :P) oughta do it. 

Btw I am in awe of your turbo. So clean...so shiny.....

• Gold FFM

Yeah, needs a turnbuckle there.  I used quick-release rose joints as a test on one S4.  Nice and solid, very quick adjustment.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Ian, I know your pain, I had real problems adjusting the cables after refurbing them. As Vanya says, it's a lot easier if you have someone inside the car selecting the gears for you so you can make adjustments.

Signature not working...

I ought to get at least a go at a start today, fingers crossed, so I might be able to find out.

Vanya, I don't remember the threaded inner cables being able to rotate, but I stand corrected. I connected them up as you said, with no preload and the 4mm offset stated via the fixed link. That seems more of a starting point to me! But it was difficult to feel where the gear-lever should be positioned from the off, as it's a bit wafty around the midpoint.

I agree with Sparky, it could do with a turnbuckle arrangement for easier setting up, that could be a project I might undertake at some point.

Alan, if you saw the parlous state of the translator and rod ends when I took them off, you'd wonder how on earth I managed to select any gears at all!

Margate Exotics.

Result!

I put some fuel in (a 20 litre Jerrycan full without any grief from the filling stations operatives, if anyone's interested), as much coolant as the system would let me, and turned the key. Incredibly it fired-up immediately, which frightened the life out of me because I wasn't expecting it.

The vacuum pump is farting about every three seconds, so there's definitely an issue there, but I knew that was a problem beforehand.

I'll bleed the cooling system in a while, and get the engine up to temperature.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I've witnessed the farting; it's awesome.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Result!

I put some fuel in (a 20 litre Jerrycan full without any grief from the filling stations operatives, if anyone's interested), as much coolant as the system would let me, and turned the key. Incredibly it fired-up immediately, which frightened the life out of me because I wasn't expecting it.

The vacuum pump is farting about every three seconds, so there's definitely an issue there, but I knew that was a problem beforehand.

I'll bleed the cooling system in a while, and get the engine up to temperature.

Excellent! After all the hard work, now you'll get to enjoy the car again. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

There's still a lot of work I have to do, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel that I thought was never going to end!

Just to put things into perspective, I bought it last July, and have only driven it for 500 miles, including 200 miles getting it home, and 100 miles going to the TLF BBQ.

Since then I've removed the engine and gearbox, and replaced or repaired God knows how much stuff despite knowing nothing about Lotus Esprits. I could post a list of everything I've done, but that won't show the effort that went into it, only an Esprit owner would know that!

Also, my thanks to Sparky for letting me drive his GT3 for a quick blast today, I'd forgotten what it felt like.

Margate Exotics.

I'm posting this photo as somewhat of a celebratory moment: when I actually managed to get the binnacle cover back on. I'll tell you, if I'd known what an absolute pain it was going to be, I'd never have removed it in the first place.

image.jpg1_zps0ayknkb9.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

'relieve'? You mean bash it a bit?

Make sure you film the first start! 

"Bashing it" could well be confused with "relieve".

Make sure you film the first start!

Already had the first start, and working my way through the slowly decreasing list!

Margate Exotics.

image.jpg2_zpsgvn2m1oa.jpg

Fitted the tailgate this morning. I needed a couple of shims on one side of the near side hinge, but managed to get the alignment perfect after about an hour of fannying around. Plus the new tailgate latch cable works, which was a huge relief. Now I can get the boot floor in, and finish the job. Might even get a run out later.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Hope it doesn't rain.

• Gold FFM

I'm starting to get wet feet about that job.

Managed a run out this afternoon, 30 mile round trip, to include Bank Holiday traffic jam. Only criticism I had was it looks to be boosting over 1 bar, which it shouldn't do, but the dash gauge could be over-reading and once I get my laptop and Espritmon sorted I'll be able to see what it's doing. This is still puzzling, as the dump port on the wastegate solenoid was previously blocked off. It does certainly accelerate very well indeed though, and I reckon the Alunox manifold has improved turbo spool-up somewhat, it seems to boost earlier, if that makes sense.

Now comes all the tidying up jobs, securing pipes and wiring so they don't chafe, inspecting all the pipe joints to make sure they're not weeping, you know the drill.....

Off for a few beers on the strength of a decent result!

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.