Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crap visor - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Crap visor

The issue:

Moving drivers side sun visor (on the S4s) was always very stiff and clunky.

Now, the left hand 'hinge' makes crunchy fibreglass noises (not nice) and seems to be held back by the fabric only.

Is it a big job to get behind there and replace something? (Or grab the gorilla glue?)

I could try to take the section off but the screws that hold the rear view mirror in place are totally seized - they WILL NOT move.

So I guess the Q is - whats behind the fabric and can I mend it?

I suspect that the hinges are screwed into fibreglass - which could be a pain to patch up.

There are a couple of screws that hold the panel (from which the visor goes through) - I might take them out and prize the section back and see if I can do something there.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.....

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

If your S4s is like my '88, the rearview mirror bolts are secured by Nyloc nuts ON THE BACKSIDE of the panel above the mirror mount. So don't even THINK of tightening the rearview unless the header panel is removed.

Luckily, the header panel is held on only by four long screws, two each side, that you can see when the visors are pivoted down. If you release these, note the angle at which they approach, you will need this knowledge when you re-install the panel.

Once you remove the header, you will be able to see what's up with your visor.  Mine has always worked OK so I don't have any advice for you, there.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Yep, as above. Drop the header panel to gain access to the visor mounts. You'll need to remove the trim from the A pillars to allow the header panel to clear. When replacing the header panel don't over tighten the four screws or you'll distort it which will mean that the mirror's rubber stopper won't butt against the screen, causing mirror shake.

• Gold FFM

My visors are a bit iffy as well. No noises but certainly not 'robust'. Thanks for the info about the backing nuts on the mirror. I will have to check that.

Let us know how you go Stephen.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks for the updates and I will respond with help if I make a discovery.  I know I have 'dangling threads' elsewhere which make it look like I'd fixed stuff and didn't updated however - I will ALWAYS update threads when I think there may be interest.

My current theory - and we have to be careful here because it's "theory" and "my brain" - is that the soft visors hold on to the metal 'L' quite tightly - nice for never having the visor comedown automatically each time you go over a speed hump but a pain when trying to - almost daintily - move visor to down position.

So I was in a 'left turn going to face the west' moment and the sun just blasted everyone.  What do you do?  Rapidly get that visor down.  This is where its gone from cringey to very cringy to hear those fire glass pieces grinding together.

And of course I remember that the MOT is due and questioning what the visors have to do with it.

I found the carbon fibre far too delicate - for example wiring up a 'black box' saw me loosening areas from unit to +12 on IGN. I gently lifted part of the side area and ...... crack.

Day be day.  Getting there.

Only if it's droopy. Is yours droopy?

I've been married for year and years - what do you think?

Oh - I see - for the moment it can be positioned to stay firmly in the up position.   I think I'll regret saying that.

Once you strip off the material there is a wire frame more than likley rusty and then the foam will be in a couple of pieces.

Gah - you had to bring up the 'R' word.  My poor feelings!!!   

^^ That's the way my car is.

As long as we are getting into specifics, you DO need to lift off the roof panel opening's rubber weather seal in the area of the header. Try to squeeze the lower part tighter (the area with the "grippers") before re-installing.

This varied by year, but interior panels and the visors that were covered by cloth headliner material are prone to drooping because the foam inside disintegrates.  (Not a problem with leather coverings, as there is no foam behind the leather.) So, save future disassembly by having them re-covered now, if you can tell that any part of the fabric is coming un-stuck from it's backing panel.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA