Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 51 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

The Evora GT4 was not a track day car, nor was it ever intended to be. The Evora GT4 was brilliantly developed by Lotus Motorsport, as a full on race car, built to be in compliance with the FIA's GT4 regulations ( both Euro and International ). It is not road compliant and nor could it ever be, it would be unable to comply with current and projected construction and use regulations. The GT4 Evora shares very few components with a production car. The engine is a 4.0litre NA Cosworth developed unit, the transmission is a full sequential unit by XTrack ( try using one of those on the road! ) and the suspension and braking systems are  also substantially different from the production car.  Bear in mind this is not the same thing as the Porsche GT 2 /3 and 4. Porsche have borrowed the GT 4/3/2 nomenclature as a very successful marketing device. Their cars have absolutely nothing to do with being FIA GT4 /3 compliant race cars, unlike the Evora GT4 which is . ( The weight of the Evora GT4 is 1,200kgs, and I understand it costs about £1 / Kg )

( The weight of the Evora GT4 is 1,200kgs, and I understand it costs about £1 / Kg )

Still cheaper than Sherbet Lemons then.

NB: just out of interest, we have an ex-Le Mans McLaren F1 GTR near us. If that can be made road-legal, then why not a GT4 Evora?

I guess it might be doable, pretty much anything is if you throw enough money at it. Probably might get it through under an SVA. But certainly the Evora GT4 was designed for the FIA regs, not Construction and use regs. It would also be a total pig of a thing on public roads. There were a couple of Porsche 962 Group C cars that were road registered, but I think that was in the States. I saw a photo years ago of a 917 on Alabama plates!

Ok guys don't crucify me but I just have to get it out of my system Lotus Evora 400 (base model) vs new Porsche 911 Carrera (base model) the spec wars can now begin and it is a close one.

Evora 400 = 3.5l Supercharged / 400 bhp / 302 lbft at 3500 rpm / 0 to 100 in 4.2"/ Vmax 186 kph / fuel mileage 39.8 mpg with automatic (extra urban) / base US price 89,900$

Carrera = 3.0l twin turbocharged / 365bhp / 332lbft at 1700rpm / 0 to 100 in 4.2"/ Vmax is 183 kph / fuel mileage 38.1 mpg with PDK (?) / base US price 89,400$ 

The Evora and the 911 have never been so closely matched. JMG and the staff were bang on... 

A buddy of mine just bought a new 2014 991 base (had 50 miles on it) in a manual.  I plan to take it for a nice drive in a week or two.  He traded it on a 2014 Cayman S PDK which we bought thought were neck-n-neck with my Evora NA.  Maybe the Cayman S was a little faster off the line, but the Evora kept up on the highway, the Cayman was a little slower into the corner, where the Evora was little more confident/faster...  At the end of the day, we thought neither were getting away from the other.

My friend told me he thought the 991 was a little more torque feeling, but lacked a little of ultimate handling on 991, but made up for it everyday usability like in storage, egress...  

Lotus has the performance benchmark beat/matched at minimum, but can they convince the new to Lotus owner that an Evora will as easy an ownership experience?

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

I had a play in a 400 last week and loved it, from the ease of getting in with the lowered sills, the quality of the interior and new layout and not to mention the exhaust note in race mode :thumbsup:

The white car that B&C had at Salon Prive looked absolutely stunning!!

post-1877-0-68684200-1441626508.jpg

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Please tell me he doesn't have a Yellow one?

Well Brandon told me on the 3rd he had a couple coming in soon in good spec and in Yellow & Grey.  We have seen the grey thanks to Andrew......... Stand back from the cheque book Brian!  Stay away from MMC!  :scared: Your garage isn't big enough.

Ok guys don't crucify me but I just have to get it out of my system Lotus Evora 400 (base model) vs new Porsche 911 Carrera (base model) the spec wars can now begin and it is a close one.

Evora 400 = 3.5l Supercharged / 400 bhp / 302 lbft at 3500 rpm / 0 to 100 in 4.2"/ Vmax 186 kph / fuel mileage 39.8 mpg with automatic (extra urban) / base US price 89,900$

Carrera = 3.0l twin turbocharged / 365bhp / 332lbft at 1700rpm / 0 to 100 in 4.2"/ Vmax is 183 kph / fuel mileage 38.1 mpg with PDK (?) / base US price 89,400$ 

The Evora and the 911 have never been so closely matched. JMG and the staff were bang on... The journos soon have to change their tune and I think a head to head between both cars is unavoidable. And in my brain that head to head will cause some nightmares in Weissach... Of course the porker looks like it has the usual niceties and then some it looks properly tech with a new 7" touch screen and stuff and it has to wonderful gearbox I never tried the 7 stick but the PDK is a work of art... But still I think this one will leave both contender with bloody noses and will be really close and more than ever a matter of taste for the buyers.

Well done Lotus. 

So the base hard spec's stack up well but has anybody tried matching the spec's though and comparing the ££££/$$$?  From experience you usually find at least in the UK that the Porker will be base spec'ed with absolutely nothing most manufacturers consider base.  Been there and worn the T shirt.  In 2003 I was friendly with dealer principal in Glasgow and he told me that out of 50-60 Boxsters/yr. then maybe 3 went out close to base.  The average Porker went out with £5K extras even then.  On 911's even more.  There are so few extras available on the 400 as most are standard, this should also work in the car's favour.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

The Evora and the 911 have never been so closely matched. JMG and the staff were bang on... The journos soon have to change their tune and I think a head to head between both cars is unavoidable. And in my brain that head to head will cause some nightmares in Weissach... Of course the porker looks like it has the usual niceties and then some it looks properly tech with a new 7" touch screen and stuff and it has to wonderful gearbox I never tried the 7 stick but the PDK is a work of art... But still I think this one will leave both contender with bloody noses and will be really close and more than ever a matter of taste for the buyers.

Well done Lotus. 

FWIW, the 991.2 presented today, seems to be +15 kg more than the 991.1...

Well Brandon told me on the 3rd he had a couple coming in soon in good spec and in Yellow & Grey.  We have seen the grey thanks to Andrew......... Stand back from the cheque book Brian!  Stay away from MMC!  :scared: Your garage isn't big enough.

So the base hard spec's stack up well but has anybody tried matching the spec's though and comparing the ££££/$$$?  From experience you usually find at least in the UK that the Porker will be base spec'ed with absolutely nothing most manufacturers consider base.  Been there and worn the T shirt.  In 2003 I was friendly with dealer principal in Glasgow and he told me that out of 50-60 Boxsters/yr. then maybe 3 went out close to base.  The average Porker went out with £5K extras even then.  On 911's even more.  There are so few extras available on the 400 as most are standard, this should also work in the car's favour.  :thumbsup:

Base price for the UK reported to be in the 74k GBP according to Autocar standard includes Sat Nav and Porsche PASM, their own DPM. But then we all know how Porsche does it they just open your wallet and tier it to pieces with their options. so it should retail in the 84-88k well specced.

Yes. £76,204 for the base 911 Carrera, but remember that is "only" the 3.0 twin turbo engine. The 3.4 twin turbo comes up next in the Carrera S but the price jumps £10k to a base price of £86k.

It's close in terms of price and performance and perhaps Lotus' greatest achievement with the Evora 400 is the way that it has stepped forward and comprehensively closed the price, performance and quality gaps with Porsche"s flagship model the 911.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Just received an e-mail from Lotus entitled "the wait for the New Lotus Evora 400 is over" :)

Here's a link to the contents: http://links.mail2.spopessentials2.com/servlet/MailView?ms=ODA0OTg0NAS2&r=MTA5Mzc2NjEyNzA2S0&j=NzYwODQ5MjczS0&mt=1&rt=0

And here's a link to the brochure: http://www.lotuscars.com/sites/default/files/documents/Lotus_Evora_400_Official_Brochure_en_gb.pdf

Coupled with the post from Bibs on the demo availability I am sat here smiling as I type and doing some furious "man maths"...

• Like 1

Just got my email too Dave. It's a very impressive piece of marketing actually.

Are we sure it is actually from Lotus :)

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

No email here yet, but I popped into see Brandon at Murray Lotus today and we went for a little drive.

First thing I noticed was that the gearchange is so much more positive than any Lotus car I have ever driven. The layout of the switches etc is a marked improvement, you can now see them all. Getting in and out was so easy and I didn't kick the door speaker on the way out.

The car felt so solid and well put together. The suspension I thought felt a little softer than I remember on my N/A car but it handled superlatively and every bump in the road I could find it soaked them up with ease.

With the loud button switched on it sounds superb and on the overrun it burbles away with music to my ears. You even have the option, whilst in Sport mode, to switch the loud button off, which might be good on long journeys.

We could not exploit the full rev range as its only done 145 miles but hopefully when it has had its 1,500 miles or is it 1,000 miles service I might be allowed another we run.

I will be interested to see the roadster as I am sure that will will be brilliant with the roof off.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, that is all music to my ears and ditto on the roadster comment.  Only problem is I'm now itching even more for the road test.  At least if I can wait there is a good chance that it will be run in and had first service by the time I sit there  :thumbsup: and no rev limits.  :bounce: .  Did you ask about the demo availability colour wise as I have the (your) yellow word in an e-mail and the Demo list doesn't say that.  ;)

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Brandon did hope that his demo would be Yellow, I think he said that he had a Yellow Evora delivered at the same time but it was the outgoing model.

I also forgot to mention that the LOTUS lettering is still there but doesn't look as chunky as the Geneva car, but the letters are still there. Brandon confirmed that if they are removed it would leave holes as they ARE bolted on!   :thumbdown:

Yup the bolt message was confirmed in that post somewhere by Bibs.  Mutter, mutter. 

just been into hexagon highgate / fortis green..

both their black and titanium look really, really good! massively improved....

the exige CR in new exige orange next to 400s looks better though (sorry!)  ;)))))

cant wait for the updated exige but seriously the new evora has moved their game on significantly.... top, top job ! 

Good to see you still lurk Justin!  :welcome: Had enough of the old man Aston?  Coming back to join The Young Ones? :B)   Even Brian who had an excuse has sold the AM and returned to Evora ownership albeit a rather tasty GTE.

I don't think that question has been answered.  I haven't even heard when the pre-release brave souls who ordered early are due to get theirs.  Maybe one of them will post up.

Good man  :thumbsup:

I don't think that question has been answered.  I haven't even heard when the pre-release brave souls who ordered early are due to get theirs.  Maybe one of them will post up.

I pre-ordered mine around July. Production of my car started this month I think, and I heard today that it should come off the production line towards the end of next week. I then aim to collect it at the end of this month.

I have heard that some dealers have pre-ordered slots on the production line so suspect, if people were to order now, they may be pleasantly surprised how quickly they could get their cars.

Hope that helps