Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 4 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

Quick photoshop from the Facebook Evora group to 'tweak' the front bumper :)

fb427ecbd4.jpg

Nope, now it reminds me of a goblin shark with an overhung nose.

head-of-goblin-shark-wikimedia-commons-+

I like what they did better

20150218002525-5fcfb42e.jpg

The rear looks too jumbled.  Hate the RED 400 badge!!!!!

And why is the rear wing and 3rd brake light so chunky?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

And why is the rear wing and 3rd brake light so chunky?

Apparently because it houses a vent to help pull air through the charge cooler...

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

Chris Harris was complaining about the price mostly.  Apparently the new GT4 Porker costs 8K British less.  I guess the Evora in his eyes needs to be much dynamic than the Porsche in order to justify the price......We'll have to wait and see I guess.

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

Apparently because it houses a vent to help pull air through the charge cooler...

Seriously doubt that...  that's not how air to water Chargecoolers work.

On an air to air intercooler, cooling air is ducted through the fins, while intake air goes through the box at a perpendicular angle.

On an air to water Chargecooler intake air, post turbo/super charger, flows through a sealed heat exchanger and water flows through reverse parallel direction (2-2 countercurrent flow design is what Lotus used on the Esprit SE-S4s & GT3.)

This is the 2-2 countercurrent type, same as Lotus

Heat_exc_2-2.png

The single pass "parallel-flow" style is "A"

And the 2-2 countercurrent is "B"

Delta_T_1.png

"The counter current design is the most efficient, in that it can transfer the most heat from the heat (transfer) medium due to the fact that the average temperature difference along any unit length is greater."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

This engine shot shows an air to water chargecooler, similar to what was used on the Esprit SE-S4s.  There is no transverse air flow used on this design..._dsc7745.jpg

Here is a lotus chargecooler box (heat exchanger)

IMAG0365.jpgIMAG0363.jpg

It doesn't appear that it is for venting heat out of the engine bay (just a guess). But I suppose that is more likely.  

Lotus_Evora_4001.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks for the higher res pic of the engine bay... I had only seen crappy ones before and thought that ribbing on the trunk side were radiator fins, but it seems like it is just part of the CC shroud. Which would make it an air-air intercooler anyway and not an air-water chargecooler :)

Not sure why the rear wing is so fussy then, I also have a hard time visualising how any effective airflow can be extracted from the engine bay given that air would have to travel inside the hatch over the trunk compartment.

Maybe it's just decorative? If the rear wing used to serve any significant aero function then the new one surely works less well as the underside of the wing is now severely compromised.

Hum I think it's more likely used as an aero bit... probably generating extra downforce... I guess we'll need to see it up close and personal to check that though.

The more I look at the pictures the more it looks like a Donato Coco design. Better Donato Coco design elements put on a Russel Carr design. What used to be a coherent design lanuage is now a mix of very contradictory styles.

Mind you, both styles for themselves are reat, but mixing the two just doesn't work for e. A bit like mixing a Single Malt Whiskey with a great Bordeaux wine. You just know the result will give you a bad headache. 

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I'm well chuffed that they brought back The Chargecooler. Now, is it available in Orange?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

OOOOooooooo I like........

Interesting choice of colour, does this mean that silver is back ?

Edited by beady

construction and property consultants : My company

It's definitely growing on me!

I am a big fan of the original Evora look - classy and elegant in my opinion - and the more aggressive look of the new one is a bit of a shock! But, the more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it.

lighter, more power, faster, more efficient. Congratulation Lotus! Well done! :respect:

I am very confident with the (old Lotus-DNA) way the new board is following :)

For a small manufacory it is a great improvement and not only a facelift with new tub, suspension, engine, interior, exterior... And even for a facelift... the great global Player dont do such a work around like this with there baskets. So again: Well done!

The front mesh looks a bit too much R8-like but this could be fixed quick and cheap.

more space behind the seats and new rear frame... do I read that there will be space for a V8? :B):happy dance:

• Like 2

Shhh! They'll be a whole thread about this on Pistonheads now!

The keyboard wizards of PH-Land spent all of yesterday discussing the L O T U S badge on the Evora 400 dashboard.

Not many contributors seemed particularly interested in the multitude of mechanical upgrades...

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight

A bit like mixing a Single Malt Whiskey with a great Bordeaux wine. You just know the result will give you a bad headache.

Or a Vodka Redbull ;) Sometimes it just works...

Reserving judgement until I see one in the flesh.

It's got the speed to match it's looks and the competition in that price bracket. Lotus, you have my attention! :)

lighter, more power, faster, more efficient. Congratulation Lotus! Well done! :respect:

I am very confident with the (old Lotus-DNA) way the new board is following :)

For a small manufacory it is a great improvement and not only a facelift with new tub, suspension, engine, interior, exterior... And even for a facelift... the great global Player dont do such a work around like this with there baskets. So again: Well done!

The front mesh looks a bit too much R8-like but this could be fixed quick and cheap.

more space behind the seats and new rear frame... do I read that there will be space for a V8? :B):happy dance:

Ditto! But I can see Jeremy making a funny face about it's new facelift when they review it!! Not sure about those LED's Lotus, it's a bit "5 years ago" and features on a lot of crappy budget motors.

I really don't understand all the negativity on PH about this car. I truly believe lotus have come a great way on making a fast, capable, well built, luxury sports car. Price wise it's spot on between the 911 and Cayman and competes directly with the 911 imo. I personally think knot looks superb but under tans the comments about the rear. People always bang on about want a 911 competitor and here it is and it gets abused! PH is so VAG and Porsche biased it drives me nuts! There is no talk of all the technical improvements at all! I think it will be a better option than the 911 except for those who wear rose tinted glasses and continue to see the bland common 911 as the only option.

Vent over.

Stu

Not a 400-specific feature, but... heated rear glass? I haven't driven my car in the winter yet but I know in comfortable weather, the rear glass gets too hot to touch after a short drive :)