Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
General chit-chat stuff - opinions etc - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

General chit-chat stuff - opinions etc

Stimpy

Not to be taken too serious but I would like to know the thoughts of others regarding these 'changes'

Ok - so I've got an S4s - not many made so there may be a 'keep it original' factor that I apply to my 1966 Riley Elf.

I'd like to know people's thoughts on the following (some subtle some not)

1) Replace the lettering on yellow badge on the front and back with the black background sort.  I don't like yellow (sorry!)

2) Being an S4s it has OZ wheel. I would like 'smooth spoked' wheels fininshed in a glossy blue that's the same colour as the car.

3) Has anyone found a way to incorporate a cup holder into the cockpit?  I've already 'fed' my carpet with a milk based drink (can't wait for the summer)

Ok - 3 is an add-on so there's no real authenticity issues

"1" can be reversed by a body shop

"2" leaves me with the choice of keeping the OZ's 'in stock' or selling them.  What's the opinion of connoisseurs of such a car with regard to how important the wheels would be in 10 years time as part of the 'whole package' of a rare car.

As I said - nothing serous or anything (hence the topic area) - I simply want views and opinions on authenticity etc.

Finally something to 'give back' as it were - I've fitted a 'black box' which is a camera behind the mirror which records your driving (and handy for insurance).  I also have a reverse camera and tiny side cameras which feeds a DVR. The front cam is brilliant because when you replay it on your mac/pc it will track the movement on a google map pandas well as speed and the actual footage.

I've also fitted a box that you phone (you get a gift gaff SIM that will last forever) and it texts back a map with where the car is - what speed - if the ignition is on - and (which I thought was a brilliant feature) you can text the car to stop the fuel pump!  All this stuff has nothing to do with my post but if you're interested in any of it then you can use me as the 'tester' and direct you to the suppliers in china via ebay.  It's all surprisingly cheap. 

1 & 2 are reversible.

3. Drink your coffee/tea before you get in/after you get out. It's safer than spilling it in your lap and scalding your nads.

I'm not sure I'd want to be tapping into the Esprit fuelling system remotely. And I've heard some people have experienced all kinds of problems with tagged on bits of electrical stuff. Alarms, for example...................

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

My Evoque comes with an app that tells me the cars location, fuel level and whether the car is locked and alarmed. Also has details of the trips I've made showing average speed, duration and fuel economy.

Crucially this is effectively a read only app. It is not possible to control any aspect of the vehicle from the app. BMW suffered from having their cars hacked with a passenger able to control aspects of the car from his laptop. They had to quickly provide a fix for this.

Also same the same system has a button in the car to call LandRover assistance and another to call the emergency services. If the air bags deploy or the car senses it is on its roof then they are called automatically.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I think the fuel pump cut off only activates when the vehicle is moving at less than 20mph..... Well that's how mine works. As for legallity I'd be more worried that when I find the car I'll have my AR15 with me.

As for blue wheels................. Just, no! 

A chum of mine fitted a concealed switch to his car, which turned off the fuel pump and made the fuel gauge read zero. It was actually stolen from outside his house during the night on one occasion...so he walked up the road, switched it back on again and drove home!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

As others have said, 1 & 2 are reversible, keep the original wheels.

My solution for 3. having done the same as you, is one of these

Primus-Commuter-Mug-Stainless.jpg

Defo get some blue wheels, ill have first bids on your Oz wheels please ha ha

On a serious note though i like the plain 5 spoke Khan wheels bibs used to have on an Esprit, ive had those wheels on other cars, nice and easy to clean too (bibs may have a quick photo he could add?)

Mines an s4s also. 1 of 12 black on black. I've customized almost everything I can. Do what makes you happy. As rare as they are, you can get another one for less than a new gti.:) everything is reversible if the value spikes enough.

1 & 2 are reversible.

3. Drink your coffee/tea before you get in/after you get out. It's safer than spilling it in your lap and scalding your nads.

I'm not sure I'd want to be tapping into the Esprit fuelling system remotely. And I've heard some people have experienced all kinds of problems with tagged on bits of electrical stuff. Alarms, for example...................

3 - I live too fast so I 'drink' my breakfast on the way to work.  That's probably more than you need to know.

I get your point about the dodgy alarm wiring in my car but that was 100% solved thanks to the car hifi place down the road from me.  Essentially the fuel cut system works by running the pump +ve through the unit then back on to the pump.  Once the text message is sent to the unit it simply blocks the power.  This can easily be incorporated into the rollover switch.  I haven't done it yet.

When I gave the car over to taff for the clutch work some time back I kept getting text messages telling me the battery had been disconnected.  Nice feature.  Until the message was being sent out each and every 3 mins.  Had to roam t'internet for insdtructions to text the unit to stop telling me about the battery.

This unit costs about £35.  You can add more features to it at extra expense.

You can get it to text you if the car moves further than a certain distance.

A nice facility is a red button.  Hit that and you send a distress text message to all the numbers you may have stored on the device.

A mate of mine had an old MG with really thin ole seats and he would always prop a big ole sheath knife under the seat so if anyone jumped in they'd get it up the arse! Now then you wouldn't want to forget that when you were in a hurry!

Buddsy

This post has left me cringing and in considerable mental pain!!! 

As others have said, 1 & 2 are reversible, keep the original wheels.

My solution for 3. having done the same as you, is one of these

Primus-Commuter-Mug-Stainless.jpg

I shall investigate - cheers!

Found a couple to consider.....to get the oz ones up for sale.

I'll try and get a pic of what I mean. 

Mines an s4s also. 1 of 12 black on black. I've customized almost everything I can. Do what makes you happy. As rare as they are, you can get another one for less than a new gti. :) everything is reversible if the value spikes enough.

Quite right - the 'reversibility' can always get the value back if needed

Not only rare but stunning and lightweight too.

I didn't know they were lightweight - I haven't had one off yet.  Interesting though - something to think about.

When would that be of use?

Telling your missus that you're being attacked so she can phone the unit - get the geo position - get help.

I guess it's more useful in South Africa.

With a rare car like an S4s I'd still stay stock. Sorry, that's just me. For me it just doesn't make sense to buy what was the absolute dogs bollocks of Lotus Engineering and change it to look like a Beanie mobile!

That is a long term investment as well as a great drive/car. For me it's like saying I'm going to buy a rare Picasso Painting then paint a car on it cause I prefer cars. 

I'm not saying you want to do major modifications and wheels can just be swapped over, but IMHO, if you want to do mods to a rare Lotus (work of art) then please buy a Scooby or Evo.

just my 2 cents....

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I'm only mainly referring to the little badge on the front and back plus any ideas for the cup holding situation (C.H.S.)

The wheels are just something I'm at the 'thinking about' stage.

Looks like if I do change them that I'll cover them in Wd40 and store them!

Lol,

A rare Picasso is worth millions. We're talking about a 25k car! The s4s isn't even the nicest looking one. This car was not a complete original piece of art. They used some cheap ugly parts from other crap cars. For example: my tail lights, steering wheel,.. . Now a Gullwing, I might leave alone. They were out to make money and keep alive the spirit of the original piece of art, the first esprit.

Whilst on the subject, if Stimpy's going for new ones, he's going to need to know the wheel offsets and PCD for the S4s OZ Futura wheels.

Anyone know?

http://www.espritfactfile.com/Parts.html#RoadWheels

95 to 96 non-USA S4s OZ Racing Futura Modular 5-spoke
8.5J x 17 +19.0,  10J x 18 +17.0,  Tires 235/40-17 &  285/35-18
PCD is 5x108

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Yep - 'tyres and wheels and stuff' runs in the family - so the offset stuff is important (and use spacers as a last resort).

Still looking for a picture of the sort of wheel I mean.

Sorry  - I'm still wincing about that 'knife under the seat' deterrent.  Jeez..... 

• Like 1