Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Chargecooler Impeller... - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Chargecooler Impeller...

Good Evening,

I was doing my Chargecooler Impeller today ... see how it was look like - there was all blades gone.

What makes me wonder is that the Impeller Housing isnt all round look at the Picture on 

12o  Clock Position. Are this just Lotus Tolerance or is it a bad part from Factory ?

Regards

Harald

post-17146-0-12146700-1425840962.jpg

post-17146-0-54765600-1425841011.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "eccentric", that's how it's meant to be. 

You'd be much better off going to an electric pump as most people do but either way make sure you give the system a very, very good flush to get the old, disintegrated blades out if you can.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Been playing with mine today and starting to reassemble the engine when a though occured to me as to why these impellors fail.

According to the manual, when working on the timing you have to back up 90 degrees. Well the rubber impellor doesnt enjoy going backwards and puts a lot of pressure on it.

This could be a mode of failure...

Glyn

• Gold FFM

Eccentric as Bibs said is normal. You are absolutely correct Glyn. The impeller is not designed to go backwards at all. There is a part pf me that would suggest removing the impeller to do the timing and then reassemble once done. A pain, but..........

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Same effect and easy solution. :)

Saves breaking the pump open.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

When changing a timing belt, the belt should already be disengaged from the pulleys when you rotate the engine back 90 degrees. The impeller should never be rotated backwards....

1995 S4s

When changing a timing belt, the belt should already be disengaged from the pulleys when you rotate the engine back 90 degrees. The impeller should never be rotated backwards....

Correct!

However there may be occasions when it is accidentally rotated, for instance when loosening the crank pulley bolt...

As it runs off the redundant distributor shaft, I have always assumed one revolution of the pump equals one engine revolution..... I might be wrong though.....

In a 4-stroke, the distributor and camshafts run at half the engine speed (pulleys twice the size), so the impeller should be rated to about 4000rpm.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.