Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oh whats gone wrong now? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oh whats gone wrong now?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

No busted spring - but a bit of misting on that shocker - and some slight play on one of the bushes.....

Next on the list I suppose.........

Along with the connection between the bottom of the cat and down pipe - which dropped a fixing today and has now started to blow

Sounds a bit mean now

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Bibs

She was off the road for 8 years or so....... I got her from stocks

It's all stuff that's to be expected really - even if I paid a lot more to get into one of these I'd still have gremlins lurking.

Simple fact is cars just don't get maintained as they should do - and that's pretty much the case across all marques - unless your lucky enough to pry one from an anal owner. Unfortunately they normally want top dollar plus a pile more....

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I find it hard to believe that's just a saggy spring.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Ideal time to fit four new springs and dampers. And you might as well re-bush the whole suspension. While you've got it all apart it would be worthwhile powdercoating the whole lot. A big brake kit would look fab too. You know, seeing as how the paint is quite old now, why not just lift the body from the chassis and and and...

:D

• Gold FFM

Hmmm......no

It'll be fixed and back where she should be ......on the road!!

Might re bush if I find they need doing - certainly won't be doing it for fun.....

If I was even tempted to do that much to her...... She'd be off and the v8 would be replacing her.......

And whys Gerrard gone and got sent off

Only here once

I blame the wooden moose in the upper right-hand corner of the first picture!   You gotta watch those critters... :help:

That said, I have swapped springs left-to-right on several Esprits including my own to compensate for sag.  BUT, don't rely on the wheel gap to indicate ride height. The Esprit bodies are NOT symmetrical.

Instead, measure each side under the front crossmember.  Should be equal within 1 - 2 mm.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Peter

I can't believe you ask....watch the news later - Manchester United got a lucky win

The car looks level - but on certain surfaces one side is sagging a bit lower.... Maybe I'm being over picky

Will get her up on the ramps and have a poke round in the week

Interesting that someone else has swapped springs though....

That moose is known to move around and get upto all sorts.....

Never trust a critter...... You turn your back on them - you'll get your ass bitten...

We've got a ram that will gladly give you the news if you take your eyes off him...........anyone want him for a kebab

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I think I'm getting paranoid here.

I have taken the dog food out the boot ! And had her up of the ground.

It's not a lovely sight - and yes powder coating would improve the view a lot. ( I'm married with kids - so functionality rules over looks! )

There's nothing there that would fail an mot - some of the bushes would defo do with replacing on a routine basis soon.

But back down - and sits much more level - did that dog food in the back really make that much difference???

post-18482-0-00827700-1427045371.jpg

post-18482-0-49269500-1427045383.jpg

post-18482-0-71613600-1427045396.jpg

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Ooh wd40 that sounds good.....it's just a bit scruffy and looks a whole lot worse than it really is.... The bushes though.....

Seriously where's the best place to get a full set of poly bushes for all four corners. There's a few places that do two bushes or top or bottom - to be honest I'd rather just buy one whole cars worth in one hit.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Didn't expect to be fiddling so much with it to be honest Mike - it's driving the wife nuts I think

However it is very rewarding

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Cheers bibs - this maybe a muppet question - but what do I need to buy for a full set of fronts?

Are these listed as one side or both? I'm sure if I got and have another look it'd be clear - but it's dark outside!!

Only here once

Presumably the source of the problem could also be at the rear, I'd still be looking for a broken spring.   I'd also be checking the chassis datums is within spec - to rule out any other issues 

• Gold FFM

Yeah. Weird that dog food in the back would cause such an effect at the front? I would be looking for a broken spring or a saggy one as Sparky said.

Pull it apart. :construction:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)