Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Another pre MY12 ICE replacement - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Another pre MY12 ICE replacement

That Pioneer unit is coming up at around £600 - £650 when I search, you got an absolute bargain...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Just remembered, @TBD had an Evora GTE and I am pretty sure he put an Android compatible unit in his car from Joying and was pleased with the results.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Joying-Car-Stereos-Head-Units/174119/bn_79181860

Hopefully he will be along and confirm the unit, price-point and the quality of the kit and connections.  This might be a perfect solution and if I recall they are in the £200-£350 price range.

If I still had my Evora I would consider this option as I also remember through the integration he could connect to his phone and use Apps like Torque to display additional dials, engine diagnostics, etc. Now that I would love as it means things like Harry's lap timer might work on it too!........ ;)

Hope this helps.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Thomas had an (older) Parrot unit fitted. FWIW, although they are double din, those Chinese Android units don’t actually fit within the Evora facia aperature. (They are about 1mm too big so the trim piece will have to be trimmed). 

21 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Thomas had an (older) Parrot unit fitted. FWIW, although they are double din, those Chinese Android units don’t actually fit within the Evora facia aperature. (They are about 1mm too big so the trim piece will have to be trimmed). 

I've had them all, started with the Parrot, then had an iCartech and now have a Joying in the Exige. Currently Xtrons seems to be the best in the 2-DIN area. 

Basically the untis are all very similar and do have some S/W glitches you have to live with. But, if you're an Android fan the best way to go. However, I wouldn't recommend them to an iPhone user.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Has anyone fitted a DAB/FM splitter to an Evora? And if so did it work ok?

I fitted one to the Exige and it worked perfectly but just tried one in the Evora and in the end sent it back as didn’t work. In my old Evora I just used an DAB aerial and that was fine but was hoping to use the splitter.

I fitted one of these....

C77D16DB-7030-47AF-9E33-B5ADDEBC5CF4.jpeg.cfe13fe9d578faf2f2585f69b85d447d.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RVP2QTU/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A34BETH2XFAV58&psc=1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Don’t happen to know which one you fitted @Bibs

was it a Connects2 CT27AA136?

ta :) 

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Ok thanks @Bibs:) 

I’ll try one of these next ....

Eightwood DAB Car Aerial Splitter SMB Adapter DIN Plug Car Radio DAB+ Antenna for Blaupunkt Pioneer Clarion Kenwood Alpine JVC https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRIFCDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4FDZAbF4KYNBJ

On 03/04/2018 at 08:37, TBD said:

I've had them all, started with the Parrot, then had an iCartech and now have a Joying in the Exige. Currently Xtrons seems to be the best in the 2-DIN area. 

Basically the untis are all very similar and do have some S/W glitches you have to live with. But, if you're an Android fan the best way to go. However, I wouldn't recommend them to an iPhone user.

@TBD which Joying model do you have in the Exige please and where do you recommend buying from ?

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 4/1/2018 at 17:24, internets said:

@nigelh I did consider the INE-W710 but it’s so expensive, was £950 when I looked but notice on eBay one seller is £800 now, got the Pioneer for around £350. I believe there are a few updates to the 710.

I found the INE-W990 had short comings, was very slow on navigation, on start up and re caluculation,  plus the USB power could only supply 1amp so often my phone would die as it could not charge the phone fast enough whilst using Bluetooth and Waze at the same time. My cloth ears also think the Pioneer sounds much better, was amazed at the difference but of course this is very subjective.

Just for completeness, and for when I might be doing this again in the future :lol: , here is the pin out for the Lotus harness connector, my rough workings!

I wish I saw your pin out chart earlier..... I just changed my original Alpine 505 for the Sony xav-ax100 and spent significant amount of time pairing the two harnesses.... obviously they had different color coding... at least I got a confirmation that I got the mapping right :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2018 at 13:30, Bravo73 said:

This has worked well for me on another car:

Thanks @Bravo73 I brought one of these, well off Amazon branded Eastwood but looks identical as had a voucher to use, and worked first time. I returned the other one I brought and they claimed it worked when they tested it but did refund my money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2018 at 12:20, internets said:

As a follow up to this I have just swapped the stock Alpine (INE-W990) for a Pioneer AVIC-F77DAB in my 400 but the Lotus part number listed above (A132M0326F) for the Pioneer loom is no longer for Pioneer but just the stock Alpine loom with the Pioneer part number stuck ‘on top’. Not sure why this part number wasn’t just discontinued as effectively I ended up with 2 identical looms, anyhow a pair of cutters and a soldering iron later all fixed :thumbsup: 

DB28496A-51BE-4C07-8F65-F42E4C50C732.thumb.jpeg.6fd6540a578721ae92f5148700ae0112.jpeg

DA431432-FA27-46AB-92D0-FAFBA5F6F135.thumb.jpeg.ca92bb824cb82fba9b3dc783aef4e1cd.jpeg

Unfortunately the surround on the 400 isn’t  a perfect fit for the Pioneer unlike on my old S but you can sort of make it fit as long as you don’t want to eject a DVD but no plans to use any CD/DVD’s so shouldn’t be a problem  ;) 

C4593198-85B0-4366-96E6-441D6BC7E912.thumb.jpeg.0e3f6c2d420fac6e607378e5977f7a40.jpeg

How did you remove the complete stock Alpine harness  from the car? I could unplug the connector but there is another black cable coming from the left (from the wiring loom behind the dash) that goes into the cable wrap... just wanted to ask before I cut off the cable wrap that held the stock loom together. I connected all the Sony cables to the stock but I don‘t want to use the heat gun (for the shrink tubes) next to the dash leather

Not sure which if you mean the phono connectors for the sub and reversing camera, although these come from the right, these are wrapped with padded tape and can be dis connected once the tape is removed. The only wires I can remember  from the left was the aerial and USB extension 9FB1199F-57C9-4EC5-B037-194104FDC3B7.thumb.jpeg.1e86c4cccf4cc7dc613ddfcea7a582cd.jpeg

What I meant was that there was an additional cable coming in from the main wire harness, which was not coming from the ICE loom connector (not from the white connector that is marked with an R on the pic) but was tied to the loom with the black plastic shrink (?) tube that is also visible on the pic. So even if I unplug the white connector, I cannot take the ICE loom out from the dash completely. Anyway, I'll make a pic on the weekend or just cut off the black plastic tube and see where that additional wire goes