Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Nordlock Washer vs Locking Plate - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Nordlock Washer vs Locking Plate

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine has the aerotight nuts and I was losing studs (still attached to the nuts...) all the time until I got the locking clips correctly applied..  Lotus hadn't bent very many of the clips, and they weren't close enough to the nuts to prevent them spinning.

IMG_2723.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

"Double" locking is required in order to prevent the nuts coming loose from the studs and to prevent the stuts coming out of the head with the nut still on.

think I will go for the Nordlock Washers (easier mounting, no fiddling with tabs), If they fail I always can switch back to the tabs.

Esprit Freak

old school lesson of always tightening exhaust manifold bolts/nuts while hot, due to thermal expansion causing them to come loose.  i would think that would hold true most especially for Nordlock.

let us know how you fare

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

I used nordlock washers on my. Havent had any issues.

Used them on my Volvo T5 in the past. They had a notorious problem with studs coming loose.

Nordlock are standards on large turbocharger nozzle rings. These you cant tightening when hot.

Lars

I've used the Nordlock washers on the exhaust manifold in several Esprits and never had an issue with them coming loose. Sure beats bending and unbending the locking tabs. 

• Like 2

1995 S4s

Is it recommended to replace the studs when fitting the new stainless manifold? Would differential corrosion be a problem if the existing ones are left on?

And worst case scenario is it an engine out job if one shears?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Funny this should come up.  My 2 year old Alunox manifold developed a blow last week, and i feared the worse, that a weld had gone.  jacked the car up yesterday and crawled under for a look.  Hey presto front port has one stud missing and one with the stud still in but the nut gone.  I used the Nordlock type nuts that came with the manifold but obviously didnt fasten them up tight enough.  Lesson leanred

• 2 weeks later...

The (mine) Alunox Manifold came with Flange Nuts and no Nordlock Washers.

Flange Nut example:

Serrated hex flange nut.jpg

Nordlock Washer (1 washer is made of 2 parts) example:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor nordlock

Ahh, I thought the flange nuts were nordlock, but now I see what you mean, might put nordlock washers on and see how I go.