Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
DeLorean back in production - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

DeLorean back in production

• Gold FFM

There was a red one on the web a week or so ago......

did they really paint some from the factory ?? Something really special about the rawness of the standard metalwork.

its a car I'd love to own. I personally wouldn't care if it was slow, unreliable or any of the bad press issues. For me it's a whole lot more interesting than a eurobox.

anyway - I've got an esprit and a herald - both of which are the absolute pinnacle of performance, reliability and cutting edge design :animier:imho

Only here once

George,

Im not offended at all and know how easy it is to say something in a post and it not be taken in the spirit it was meant. Cars should be fun and the Delorean is great in that respect, and never ceases to create smiles as you drive around. It also happens to be one of the most reliable cars I've had which goes completely against Internet opinion it seems. Also agree with Chris that the owners are a great bunch and so very helpful, but then I've yet to own a car where the owners club are anything less than brilliant.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM

love it....... I really liked the matra bagheera as well - similar styling in my small brains view.......had the chance of one many years ago and kind of regret not grabbing it.

they just don't make cars like the used to that for sure

Only here once

The last time I saw a Delorean (Jan 1st at Brooklands) with a door open I noticed there appear to be round bars running across the door openings above the sills which block getting in/out of the car.

These look suspiciously like a panic design addition to cure a terminally weak structure. Is this the case?  

Not at all, some owners put a bar between the front and rear door latches at car shows to stop people sitting in the car without asking as its so accessible with the doors open and you always get 'the  few' who think it's perfectly acceptable to, or let their kids, run rampage over your pride and joy without asking 

Found some pictures I took of the Lotus V8 engined DeLorean, the only engine swap I endorse ;) 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

12 minutes ago, internets said:

Not at all, some owners put a bar between the front and rear door latches at car shows to stop people sitting in the car without asking as its so accessible with the doors open

OK thats a relief!

• Gold FFM

Haha - I've seen one with a child gate like arrangement clicked into the door catches.

made me smile - but why can't folks respect stuff - not that hard is it

Only here once

Which reminds me of a story about an acquaintance who had a Cobra. He stopped at a pub for some lunch, and when he came back, found some bloke sat in the driving seat. After asking said person to extract himself, the bloke stood right beside the car while my friend started it up.

Unfortunately for him, he'd been pumping away on the throttle, and every time you do that with a 4-barrel Holley, the accelerator pumps squirt neat fuel into the inlet manifold. The engine coughed, farted, churned over, and finally caught, spitting neat fuel and the odd flame out of the sidepipes, soaking the bloke's trouser leg with petrol, and setting fire to it.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

The problem for DMC Houston is they have lot of parts they are unlikely to use up, for instance they have hundreds of doors, so if they did produce a new car that would be one way of using them up and getting money back on them!

DMCH_doors.jpg.dffbd19604667ea8be79e686d

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• Gold FFM
On 31 January 2016 at 00:34, ian29gte said:

Which reminds me of a story about an acquaintance who had a Cobra. He stopped at a pub for some lunch, and when he came back, found some bloke sat in the driving seat. After asking said person to extract himself, the bloke stood right beside the car while my friend started it up.

Unfortunately for him, he'd been pumping away on the throttle, and every time you do that with a 4-barrel Holley, the accelerator pumps squirt neat fuel into the inlet manifold. The engine coughed, farted, churned over, and finally caught, spitting neat fuel and the odd flame out of the sidepipes, soaking the bloke's trouser leg with petrol, and setting fire to it.

Karma train. :hrhr: 

If DMC did start the car up again, I wonder if they would make a RHD version as well? I have never seen an RHD DeLorean.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I saw one in black once on a business trip to Chicago and I gotta say it looked real nice . Normally modifying a car can be questionable, but IMHO it added a lot. Just look at the depth of that shine!!!   Admittedly I have a bias against stainless and you won't see it in my kitchen appliances. (the grand kids would leave blue hand prints on everything). :(

• Gold FFM

I really like the rear shot of the blue one. :wub: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

8 hours ago, Advantage said:

Stole a handful of photos from the web:

You brought this on yourself Mr @Advantage Geek mode on :lol:

Black car appears to have the updated wheels that look stock but use lower profile tyres as with the early Esprit's getting matching sets of tyres is getting tricky 

The red car in the picture is (well at the time) from Germany and that picture was taken at the DeLorean gathering in Ireland in 2001 from memory. That picture was taken at the Ulster Folk and transport museum...my old car is in the background and I was there :P 

The green car belongs to Rob Grady of PJ Grady the only original surviving DeLorean dealer and he has owned a few Esprit's....in fact last time I spoke with him I think he said he has just brought an S4 / S4s in green...

Don't know the blue car...although have seen the picture before

The gold plated car is one of two (three if your being pedantic) that was sold as part of a Amex promotion in 1981, the cars were like $100k and you had to pay for them on your Amex card! Only 2 were sold, oddly enough, one is in the National Automobile Museum in Reno, NV and the one in the picture spent most of its life in a bank lobby in Snyder, Texas  but now resides at the Petersen Automotive Museum of Los Angeles (as in the picture)

The 4x4 DeLorean is owned by my good friend Rich from Chicago, and he has various other 'project' DeLorean's like the limo

image.jpeg.7b1d5eb1fb17507c449def024e9e1

9 hours ago, ramjet said:

If DMC did start the car up again, I wonder if they would make a RHD version as well? I have never seen an RHD DeLorean.

Thought you might of seen one at a car show, there are several RHD D's in Oz, as of course LHD are not really allowed on the road in most of Oz

This one was owned by a friend in Perth

Delorean_2_24_10_2004.jpg