Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Life in the old v8 yet - Page 30 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Life in the old v8 yet

• Gold FFM

I've had some issues getting her to start reliably. New gaskets for carbs now fitted - but still had issues.

carbs back off last night - clean inside - but the jet pipe out of the bottom of the float chamber was very very restricted indeed. Another good clean - fettle - back on and she starts first flick of the key and runs exactly like a triumph should. Quick adjustment to idle and timing - sounds amazing....other than the blowing backbox

moral of the story - always double check even if you've done it once

Only here once

There once was a man with a Bentley,

Who marketed said car quite intently.

Propitiously sold, the man became bold.

He said with defiance, "To hell with reliance! I'll procure a used Triumph"

And found that it wouldn't turn over from cold.

• Like 2

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

So - pop to breakfast in Malvern - a cafe there has a hotrod breakfast morning - that was nice.

then run my eldest to a swimming competition in Worcester.

some  BP ultimate in the tank, some ciders for me and off home we pop.....umm no.

looks like the car had other ideas. Jump in - press immob - turn key - ferk all....

fob lights flashing like a raver - out comes the battery - loads of cussing and general docker language follows. Back together - can't get that bstard dash led to stop flashing - fobs lighting up - but doing nowt. I don't have the spare fob or the touch key...........

i do however have a knife in my pocket - and some tape in the boot...... The enlightened amongst you will know which 4 wires got the good news next.

back in flick the key and drive off much to the amusement of the other folks on the forecourt.

now - who's the best guy to fix the remote 6422 module thingy so I have a touch key and two working remotes??

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

now - who's the best guy to fix the remote 6422 module thingy so I have a touch key and two working remotes??

I had the same problem - changing the battery under some conditions causes the fob to lose it's registration with the immobilisor - had to re-pair the unit to the immobiliser after changing the battery then all was OK.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ahh yes bu @march you must have the doober stick wandy thingymebob that's distinctly lacking for me

Ooh - quick google and ring the old owner - he just might have it hanging about :animier:

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Ahh yes bu @march you must have the doober stick wandy thingymebob that's distinctly lacking for me

No you don't! - I managed it with the  doober stick wandy thingymebob 300 miles from the car, but it is true I do have one. Found the solution searching with Google, unfortunately can't remember how I did it.

• Gold FFM

Arghhh - you need to ferking remember ...... I can't find the answer on google - just an utter load of pishe.

common @march dig out your search history.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

As if there aren't enough things that can go wrong.

I think a bit of weight savings called for. The best place for aftermarket immobilisers is the dustbin.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve V8 said:

As if there aren't enough things that can go wrong.

I think a bit of weight savings called for. The best place for aftermarket immobilisers is the dustbin.

Cobra alarms are standard fitment as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

Have you tired this. This states you should not play around with the locks on the car. I managed to do everything that it said I should not do but still got it to work so this may not be the solution - will keep looking.

Also found this as a potential solution: http://cobracartech.co.uk/cobra-replacement-key-fobs-cases/286-cobra-touch-key-.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Oh, my bad.

No flashy lights or fobby gizmo's on my 96'

Yep, those Cobras are standard on 98+ MY

Fortunately my standard 96 had been binned for an AutoWatch Thatcham Cat 1 aftermarket before I got it. I had the same problem with a remote as Barry did but the Internet gave me the answers with a bizarre combination of flashes and fob clicks. Can't help you specifically buddy, but there is always a way

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, march said:

Have you tired this. This states you should not play around with the locks on the car. I managed to do everything that it said I should not do but still got it to work so this may not be the solution - will keep looking.

Also found this as a potential solution: http://cobracartech.co.uk/cobra-replacement-key-fobs-cases/286-cobra-touch-key-.html

Cheers fella - I will have a go - would be nice to get the locking back again - then I can fix the modifications I made with the knife today ?

Only here once

OK - found a mention that the Esprit cobra alarms were not key coded as per:

ok got it, the esprit does not use the pin code like the elise does... I got the page from a dealer that shows how to setup new fobs.  in http://www.luxury4play.com/lotus/86025-anyone-retrieve-my-cobra-alarm-pin-code.html

Have a look at this as this procedure seems familiar:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/how-program-key-fob-17358/index3.html

I don't remember any pin code being written down (didn't even have the manual with me). I sort of remember counting a number of flashes before following the procedure. Perhaps someone else can knows about how the alarm pin codes work on an esprit. Sorry being turfed off the computer, will carry on looking later.

• Gold FFM

Brilliant find Marc, worth its own section in Esprit chat for future reference @Bibs 

Step 23 :If successful, run around in circles shouting loud WHOOP WHOOPS

Step 24 : Fill out on line application for the Krypton Factor.

Edited by Steve V8
Spelt March name wrong, and wouldn't want to offend

• Gold FFM

Just another thought. it may be worth checking the alarm control unit, if it's pre programmed to match it's fob, it may have a build sticker on the top with the required PIN.

• Gold FFM

Failed on step 1:wallbash:

doing that has no impact at all on the flashy light.

ive yagged the unit out of its hidey hole and there is a POxxxxx number on a sticker - it's 5 digits ?? Just starting to surf the web to try and find some info - will try and avoid the girlie sites....

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Right - the swearing and general docker language has now ceased in the garage.

I now have working locking again. There's loads of general gumpfh on the tinternet about these systems. When I was pressing the buttons and holding for 10 seconds - the light just flashed and flashed - didn't do anything like the Instructions.

heres the REAL instructions.

1-  remove the battery and leave for 5 mins - have a coffee and attempt to calm down and resist bollocking a hammer straight through the remote and 6422 box.

2 - refit the battery

3 - press and hold both buttons simultaneously until the led goes off. 10seconds ish then release

4 - press large button for 1 second - led will flash -  release

5 - celebrate and generally dance about feeling smug.

6 - consider finding the soldering iron to correct the adjustments needed after last weekends embarrassing episode at the petrol station

• Like 1

Only here once