Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora clutch change poll... - Page 5 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora clutch change poll...

Has your Evora had a new clutch (based on wear or age related failure)  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine was, if it wasn't slipping I wouldn't have changed it. What other reason is there? .. out of balance?

Edited by Bravo73

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

No mine was not slipping but was biting extremely high and was very heavy.  Everyone who felt it said it was very heavy.  I think mine was due ton previous owners doing launches as flywheel and pressure plate had scotch marks

Edited by LotusFella
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2024 at 21:23, phil flash said:

Mine was, if it wasn't slipping I wouldn't have changed it. What other reason is there? .. out of balance?

I’d normally expect a clutch that’s on its last legs to slip, but as @LotusFella said, it looks like it’s not the only reason they may need changing.  

My 400 is on 36k miles and whilst it’s not slipping, I’m interested in finding out more generally - hearing about clutches going at anything under 40/50k miles is a worry.

On 11/02/2024 at 22:53, Phaeton91 said:

I’d normally expect a clutch that’s on its last legs to slip, but as @LotusFella said, it looks like it’s not the only reason they may need changing.  

My 400 is on 36k miles and whilst it’s not slipping, I’m interested in finding out more generally - hearing about clutches going at anything under 40/50k miles is a worry.

Unless it fails by falling apart the only other reason I can think of is 'to change it because the engine is out for some other reason and it would be silly not to'. It's such a MAJOR JOB on the Evora. The 400 had a significantly uprated clutch compared to earlier models which is why Hanger 111 fitted one to my LE. Needs 400 flywheel, friction plate & diaphragm along with release bearing but only marginally more expensive than inferior LE clutch. Trivia compared to labour costs of getting the power unit out!

A chap selling an S took me for a ride in his and said his clutch had been replaced after 12k miles. He was using the clutch as a footrest and didn't seem to hear his clutch slipping after each gearchange - I let that one 'pass me by' as it was on 28k.  I also found the lower ratio gears not to my liking, wanting a GT to get me to the south of France, not a trackday sprinter.

• Like 2

My 2010 Evora NA clutch was still good at 68,000 miles. The CR box imploded so we did the clutch too. 400 flywheel etc... 

Don't worry about it. As above, only change if you are doing other major surgery. 

You don't read about 400 clutch issues....of course there will be some, that's machinery, but it's just not a common issue on any Evora after the early 276bhp cars.

The reason it's a topic is the labour costs involved. If it was £1500 all in, it would hardly get discussed.

Justin 

Got to say my NA 2010 is on 65k and clutch is heavy but seems to be going ok ? Now hope not jinxed it 🫤

I just spend £100 get the ECU cleared of codes and I have a duff air con and window regulators to sort on top of rear brake discs , so really hoping clutch goes for another year ?

Heavy is normal. It varies but they are never light on early cars. 400 much lighter clutch pedal. 

Not sure what mod or change the factory made but mine was no lighter after fitting 400 flywheel and clutch. Perhaps cylinders....Hangar111 would probably know. 

Justin 

2 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Got to say my NA 2010 is on 65k and clutch is heavy but seems to be going ok ? Now hope not jinxed it 🫤

I just spend £100 get the ECU cleared of codes and I have a duff air con and window regulators to sort on top of rear brake discs , so really hoping clutch goes for another year ?

Eurocarparts sell a Streetwise Code Reader that will read AND clear codes for £27.  https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/streetwize-obdii-fault-code-reader-lcd-screen-548775301

Got a reader but apparently the codes stored were only accessible by lotus dealer ? 

2 hours ago, jep said:

Heavy is normal. It varies but they are never light on early cars. 400 much lighter clutch pedal. 

Not sure what mod or change the factory made but mine was no lighter after fitting 400 flywheel and clutch. Perhaps cylinders....Hangar111 would probably know. 

Justin 

Do you think Hangar 11 solution to make it wee lighter would be much more expensive than standard cost to replace the clutch ? 
only asking as my footballers knees are acting up and any relief would be welcome ? 

Chat to them. I don't know. Mine was done by B&C and I was disappointed it was still heavy. There must be a solution as later cars are so much better. 

Steve Williams in Maidenhead also may be good to chat too. 

Justin 

• Gold FFM

There was a change to the clutch master cylinder on NA cars from VIN BHC11524 onwards.

They switched from a metal to the plastic master cylinder.  I don't know if this changed the ratio at all.  All S cars have the plastic.

All cars share the same slave cylinder.

The 400+ type clutch setup doesn't seem to be any lighter or heavier, but is a more durable clutch (for the same pedal effort and usability).

Our current estimate price for Evora clutch job is £3k+VAT.  (£2k+VAT for Exige due to reduced labour time).

Dave (@ H111)

• Like 1

I fitted a Gregs Racing Parts clutch master cylinder to my NA when the original failed and after fitting the 400 clutch. It made no difference to weight.

My NA clutch pedal feel was considerably heavier than both the S I owned and the Sport 410. I owned them concurrently and would swap between so not even memory fade. 

Justin 

My clutch is so much lighter since being replaced when I had a new gearbox. It's as light as a Fiesta's, totally transformed and a huge relief if caught in traffic. (With plastic master cylinder, as per Dave's info above.)