Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 200 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

All of the tolerances on this engine were measured twice once by me and once by a professional. All the parts were examined for wear. The oil pump was checked and in spec. Every seal was replaced. There was nothing mechanically wrong. It fired up immediately but no oil pressure, as the valve was stuck open. That was just bad luck.  I took it off cleaned it and oil pressure!  Thre was oil in both cam towers the exahaut side almost competely submerged. 

Mike said had I powder coated the cam covers. I said no but then remembered a media blasting company had blasted them some years back. It explains whybthe engine ran for some months then failed as the components were being worn away. 

Its tempting to farm this out but I wont. I have built other engines and worked on cars and motorcycles for over 35 years and never had a problem until now. I will ensure all parts go into a sonic bath and start again with the plasti guage! As before I will get the professionals to confirm all my measurements. 

This time I will get Lotusbits  to test the engine on their rig before I put  it in the car.

I might get the oil analysed for blast media.

I would get the oil analyised as a given, as it isn't too costly. This will tell you if there are any impurities, and ideally their composition and likely source. The last part being the most import bit!

If they don't I'd employ some sort of spectrum analysis. You did virtually the same with the paint colour, and this is more important.

I may have misunderstood, but if this engine has been run in the past with the powder coated components in place, then why wasn't this wear evident when you stripped it down?

Has the underside of the powdered coated parts (in the oil case) been completely removed in engine use, if it existed previously? If the coating remains and is intact, then where has the residual media come from?

As I said, I doubt that you've ran this car far given your recent completion, and unlikely to have stressed it, it being a new build. So, with the risk of repeating myself, I would remain objective as to the cause of this wear and catestrophic result. As I really do not think this is the cause.

If this problem is media related, then I would be checking the oil ways, as this is the more obvious route of the problem.

I always work on the principal that a problem is likely to be due to the most obvious cause. Occam's razor etc. That approach has rarely failed me.

So sorry to be reading about this problem knowing how much effort has gone into getting the car finished.

It's certainly made me consider carefully how I'll approach my engine rebuild. 

You clearly love the car and that'll help keep your spirits up.  🙂

It's getting there......

In agreement with points made above I'd add that highly respected Lotus authority, Dave Bean, of California long ago wrote emphatic instructions never to go near engine parts in alloy with glass bead. He stated the beads would be lodged into the comparatively soft metal and then emerge in operation with the heat-cycled, oiled, and vibrating engine acting like its own ultrasonic cleaner. Sounds absolutely sensible to me, RIP DB who passed away just a year or two back.

Going on from here it's imperative to ascertain whether bead contaminants are found and to further examine other possible paths to failure, particularly in the valve gear. Oil of any decent spec is unlikely to be at the root of this in and of itself. Glass beads, if confirmed present, must be presumed still looming in any internal spaces where the associated alloy bits have been blasted. As Barry says, infernally difficult to clear away that. Scoring in the bearing surfaces of the cam towers is consistent with bead deposits and will, over time generate scoring on the iron cams if not somehow cleared away. Clear the surfaces, eliminate the systemic contamination somehow and the towers remain suitable for use.

Best of luck, keep us posted. 

To be accurate, not only glass beads will result in scoring in the towers as fragged steel particles in circulation have been shown to create the same markings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHANGES said:

There is a reason these engines cost so much when built by proffesionals and it not just because of the cost of all the parts

I've had two engines rebuilt by Gerald at GST - one Esprit, one Excel.  He took a couple of months each of them - both run  fine. I would do the same again if I had a third 9xx engine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CHANGES said:

But you never removed the brass plug in the block giving access to oil ways .  This has an antechanber under it where media will gather and CAN NOT be removed with pipe cleaners and compressed air..  When aquablasting or media blasting you have to remove this to insure no contaminent get left there . !!!!!!!   ( You where informed of this and dismissed it saying your proffessional said it was not neccessary.. )   

I wonder where that came from..

.. Do you really want to mess about with a piece of clear plastic pipe with oil at 80 psi...  good luck with that..  If you do the checks you were advised of , then fitted it  using correct torques etc etc,  you wont have issues in that area.   ( Was your pick up pipe knecked at the plastic olive point, ? did you check for it ? )

As far as the cam follower is concerned , it was burn't and worn like an old part, I expect it was shot to shit before it was fitted , if it had run without oil it would look very different and they would all be cracking ...

There is a reason these engines cost so much when built by proffesionals and it not just because of the cost of all the parts . 

good luck with what ever you choose to do ....  

Hi Dave.

The block wasnt aqua blasted. Its was cleaned with brake cleaner. I put a boresvope into the oil ways . All were clear. I even took pictures of the internal oil ways.

My mistake was aqua blasting and media - never again! 

The plastic pipe method is used by other well known engine builders to check for air leaks on the pickup pipe.

I replaced the olive on the pick up pipe. Sofened in hot water prior to fit and torqued twice. 

There were no cracks visible in any of the followers. I didnt appreciate they were cast iron amd Lotus had changed them to steel . I understand now they have flaws which cant be seen. in hindsight I would replace all of them with the long skirt followers. I learned from that!

I was unlucky with this its not rocket science its just an engine. Im an enthusiast and even though I could farm it out I have built everything on this car. If I hadnt aqua blasted this and the oil pressure relief valve hadnt stuck I would have a perfectly serviceable engine. 

I agree though, if you do this all the time your would have built it quicker with less chance of problems, but would you have spotted the pressure refief valve issue before fitting? 

You've laid down the gaunlett now -  i will rebuild it again and it will be perfect! 

The other thing I have learned is I shoud have bench tested this engine prior to fitting in the car.

This time I will get Lotusbits to bench test it on their rig before it goes back in. I will post a video on youtube.

If it isnt perfect after this rebuild I will acknoledge you were right and have it professionally 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Cut open the oil filter and wash it out. You will find the media in there if it’s anywhere. If it’s in there - then you should scrap all your pipes and if you have oil coolers fitted - I’d scrap those as well.

this was the very reason all my plenum bits on all cars I’ve had done have never been blasted with media - it’s simply a nightmare to get rid of - as it lumps together in all the nooks and crannies and that’s on simple shapes - engine blocks and cylinder heads are horrendous to clean. Take a look at wheeler dealers TR6 - they had unleaded valve guide seats fitted - the head was placed in an auto parts washer system for something like 4 hours to ensure all swaft and machining debris was gone.

i do hope you can resolve and rebuild 👍

Thanks Barry. Definately going to get the oil analysed. Filters a good idea. I dumped the oil and changed the oil filter after the first run to operating temp to ensure no glass bead. I should have put all parts in an ultrasonic ckeaner adter aquablasting. 

7 hours ago, drdoom said:

In agreement with points made above I'd add that highly respected Lotus authority, Dave Bean, of California long ago wrote emphatic instructions never to go near engine parts in alloy with glass bead. He stated the beads would be lodged into the comparatively soft metal and then emerge in operation with the heat-cycled, oiled, and vibrating engine acting like its own ultrasonic cleaner. Sounds absolutely sensible to me, RIP DB who passed away just a year or two back.

Going on from here it's imperative to ascertain whether bead contaminants are found and to further examine other possible paths to failure, particularly in the valve gear. Oil of any decent spec is unlikely to be at the root of this in and of itself. Glass beads, if confirmed present, must be presumed still looming in any internal spaces where the associated alloy bits have been blasted. As Barry says, infernally difficult to clear away that. Scoring in the bearing surfaces of the cam towers is consistent with bead deposits and will, over time generate scoring on the iron cams if not somehow cleared away. Clear the surfaces, eliminate the systemic contamination somehow and the towers remain suitable for use.

Best of luck, keep us posted. 

To be accurate, not only glass beads will result in scoring in the towers as fragged steel particles in circulation have been shown to create the same markings.

Yep I agree. Need to get confirmation from oil analysis.  I will have all parts ultansonic cleaned and some replaced. 

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis

just sent out for this kit. It would be really useful to be able to compare results with someone who has a good engine. Anyone fancy getting their engine oil checked? 

I will post all details of the second rebuild on here. Except the sealants as that has been done on here and they all wroked perfectly. 

This will be a breakdown of how I recovered this engine.

• Gold FFM

And there's me thinking I was taking the piss.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I've  had a 907 shatter a follower which then dug into the cam carrier and as Dave ( @CHANGES )  indicates they're not visible. What I did find afterwards is that they are audible, a crack makes the follower sound dull if VERY gently tapped like a bell. Thankfully mine cracked pretty much as soon as the engine started, so I actually saw the cam stop, at low revs. It was part of a low-cost rebuild of a then £1500 car & refurb (Lola for those that know that Excel), so not something I'd take the chance on for one of these engines as they now are getting a lot more rare and a lot more expensive to replace.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Lotusfab just one thought - you did disconnect the oil supply line to the turbo charger, crank the car over(not allowing a start so with plugs removed) and recover about 0.5l of oil?? I’m sure that’s the process before starting a later engine

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM
51 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi Barry, thats a worry, No? I havnt heard on that before. Do you know why that is recommended?

The oil pumps are awful and do not self prime if dry.

it could have caught me out on the S4s - but with the cash injected into mine and the new turbo it was worth the time and effort to check what some might ignore. The turbo supply line is the last pipe on the galleries until oil is returned to the sump. Priming that pump was a complete and utter pig and needed a decent pump to pump oil round the system backwards.

its one of the key issues to make sure you get correct on any engine - had I not checked - a few seconds of running would have added 10s of thousands of miles of wear to my engine

• Like 2

Only here once