Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 235 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I hope you clean that jug before handing it back to Rachel?! 😁

Confused by all the gearbox stuff. Wasn't all this done previously? Thread goes back weeks.

Gearbox was done and was working really well. I drained it to take the engine out and found glitter type flakes on the sump plug, I took it to get it investigated, as I wanted to save time and get a second opinion and the backlash, Pinion height and preload double checked.I had a falling out with the professionals when they tried it on.
I then ended up getting back just bits and so had to rebuild it again. I bought another used gearbox and so was able to replace all of the selector shafts and other bits that although working were not In very good condition.  I then thought I might as well replace the output shaft and diff bearings as the costs have already gone out the window and this little extra is irrelevant. I now have a really good engine and gearbox.

• Gold FFM

Be very aware that now the graphogen is out that pump - the oil will flow back over time if the pipe is left off the turbo. It is absolutely critical on any turbo car to check oil flow at the turbo oil supply lines to prove the oil pump is functional.

Only here once

Thanks Barry. I have been told by a very good authority if the pump is working correctly graphogen isn't needed. But I will be checking oil pressure again by cranking with the plugs out prior to start for sure!

• Gold FFM

I can tell you with absolute no doubt or question if that turbo pipe isn’t immediately bolted onto a turbo and effectively sealed - it will allow the oil to drain back. Been there done that and proved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only here once

I've just been looking at my tool roll and discovered I missed a tool out in my post with all the tools - Posted 

• Like 1

Gearbox finished! Just need to put it all back in the car. I am planing to put the engine and gearbox in separately, as I’m working on my own due Covid!  Thats how it came out, putting it all in together is really a two man job as the clearances are so limited. Should be about two days work to get it running, if there are no further problems and I can find all the parts.

• Like 2

Thanks to Pete at PNM my wastegate is fully rebuilt with a brand new valve.it should arrive tomorrow. I seem to have lost the bottom plate on one engine mount! I have been working really hard and its just the exhaust system and Turbo left to do. A new Mocal oil cooler and thermostat to test. I have read the Lotus manual method of filling coolant. I plan to follow it and see if the coolant boils over is because of a faulty thermostat. 

The oil has drained out of the Turbo pipe and theres probably no graphogen in the pump. I suspect this won’t make any difference  this time to getting oil pressure, now the pump is as new. I plan to test this by cranking the engine with the spark plugs out and timing the oil pressure rise. I will report the result to help anyone else doing a rebuild.

I have been told if the engine gets through 100 miles without incident its probably a good build. So I plan to drive for over 100 miles in one go and test out the theory.

• Like 1

I’m very pleased with my heat shielding solution it is in perfect condition still and a massive improvement on the asbestos. . 

The new output shaft bearings have made a massive difference they are really smooth compared with the originals.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil. No expense spared this time. I plan to do some tests for leaks and then I am going to test it on a 100 trip. I just need to get an olive for the boost pipe. I am considering driving once around the M25 during a quiet period.

• Like 1

Looking very much on track by this point, Fabian. Don't fret a shed-load on the boost control beyond what you have done so far, it won't grenade the engine in a flash if off target by a bit so long as the fuel and spark are close to correct. Just don't hammer away with the thing pinking to any degree whatsoever.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Better than it ever left the factory, great job now time to get some miles under your belt enjoying that beauty on the open road! 
The tuning is the fun bit and like you I like doing it myself 👍🏻
Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try!