Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

What battery size fits Fabian? Is yours like mine and needs the small version due to the early battery same as the Essex modelsa d has the battery sitting front to back direction? I had an 075 in mine when I got it but it wasn't fitting correctly - I now have an 063 and it fits perfectly.

Here's the two tray types......mine is the one without the battery and how I would expect yours to look. You've maybe already seen the other thread about this of course?

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

• Like 1

It's a Bosch 075. I measured the tray and used the online battery dimensions. If they published the battery size correctly it should fit with some very limited spare room, but you know how these things are - some bright spark may have put the wrong size on! I will have a look for the tread as I havn't seen it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, TAR said:

You are correct on the inertia switch. I don't believe you have a rev limiter on the car.

:) 

So does it still use the mechanical rev limiter in the dizzy?   I would be very surprised if it was supplied with no limiter at all.  By 84 there is an electrical rev limiter on the same wheel arch - A black box with 3 wires 

Battery 075 is correct fit for an 84 - but they are a little akward to put in and out  

Edited by 910Esprit

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Have just looked at the thread - hope the battery fits! 

Depends on the tray - out of the 2 tray pics above which is yours? Steve at SJ Sportscars was adamant there is only one and wasn't prepared to accept he was wrong........shock horror!:o Given all the details I've seen of your car I'd expect it to need the small battery. No matter how I tried to fit an 075 it just wasn't going to fit

51 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Battery 075 is correct fit for an 84 - but they are a little akward to put in and out  

075 is correct for an '84 Turbo........but Fabian's is an '82 model and this was the year of the change of tray and will likely need an 063

image.png

I had this problem on the S1. The Bosch battery was too big because of the bottom moulding. So I cut it off! Result is my S1 has a much higher capacity than all the others. Quite useful when you are in a garage with a hot engine and can't start it very easily.

Would be much easier if these companies purpose the correct measurements on the website!

Keys update

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181319482825?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

have tested the keys made from the BL key code by the above company for £8. The ignition key works perfectly the tailagate key won't rotate in the barrel so will have to dismantle it. My guess is the lock may have been forced as the key was lost. The key codes came from Lotus Archives build cards. Call Andy Graham Lotus archives if you lost your keys!

14 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Steve at SJ Sportscars was adamant there is only one and wasn't prepared to accept he was wrong........shock horror!:o G

Gold - so true!

• Like 1

Standard equipment - Electric Aerial switch :thumbsup:

Allows you it turn it off so that you can listen to cassettes without the aerial up.

Have bleed the clutch and appears to be working! Having trouble with the brakes. Have bled the rears and one side on the front, then run out of time. Pedal still travels to the floor. May have to rebuild master cylinder? Also have to remove tailgate lock. Has anyone done this before?

Well another 40 minute and an ezibleed and the brakes are online! ??? So now I have clutch and brakes, handbrake needs adjusting but all ready for an engine start test when battery arrives!

• Like 2

Eureka! No not Archimedes in the bath, much better than Archimedes principle, a fitting Esprit Turbo battery!?????image.jpeghave noted the battery tray need a slight repair so will have to remove and fibreglass. Battery was £52 from Euro Car parts, bargain! 075 S4 and didn't have to do any sawing! 

But what is this bad boy???image.jpeg

It's linked to the Alarm buy one wire. Then other box is definitely an Alarm as there is a transmitter aerial on it. The Alarm is grafted into the loom, maybe factory fitted? Or maybe a very good alarm installer?I look forward to removing it all and reducing weight, Colin would be proud!

• Like 1

Good to see that battery in. Are you already wired for those connectors. Mine has Ford connectors :( Had to buy a conversion kit from Halfords.

Something audio or alarm would be my guess

Waiting for some EBay connectors to come. They have bolt on connectors on each terminal. Which ford ones did you use? When I get some spare time will remake the rear loom and get rid of all these bits using the wiring diagram. 

• Like 1

So yours has got the larger tray then Fabian as can now be seen in your photo. My battery goes in front to back instead of side to side as tray shape is different - you have the upgraded larger one (1982 at some point) which is probably for the reasons you mentioned previously i.e. to take a larger capacity battery.

So c'mon then get her cranked over:thumbup:

I've also installed an 075, but it should be an 097 as below. Same size as an 075, but with the Ford connectors.

y3miWZqhxKuOhQy3ouUdaKjNADT3DKNrUUL8Px14

I installed as Yuasa Black 075 with a lifetime guarantee. I've had the car for 29 years, so should be good for another 29 years ;)

Post convertor from Halfords.

Ahhhh.

If the connectors I'm getting don't work will check out halfords. Had a missing side indicator lense L734 Lucas, easily found on eBay so bought some at a reasonable price. Hope the spares on this are easier to get image.jpegthan the S1!