Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
s3 tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

s3 tyres

• Gold FFM

morning guys ,up for replacing the current toyo,s due age on my s3 ,wondered what is the general consensus as to the best way to go??i do try to drive the cars as it was designed, on the nice rural roads around here any thoughts pls rgds steve   

I've got Vredestein Sportrac 5 225/60 on the rear 195/60 on the front.

Reasonable price and as a bonus has "Giugiaro" stamped on the sidewall

I use my Esprit all year round and take it on the track a couple of times a year.

Chris

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

i was looking at them ,and as you  say they are a good ££option, and had read on tlf some our using them with good results ,i have toro,s at the moment relatively happy but they have started to crack,so need replacing, i do drive on mainly rural roads and get a little carried away ,so they are good on the track ???i heard they are quite soft so so heat generation would not be a problem ???

For me, recommendation from other (Chris, buddsy and someone else).

Price obviously, these were about £240 fitted vs pirellis (if you can get em) at about £600 for the set.

thinks the vreds were about the only option for all four corners, too?

they do look good, though:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I put my Esprit back on the road in Dec 2012 it had NCTs with 2000 miles on them from 1992(ish), but the rears had flat spotted terribly so were unusable - the fronts were fine, but 20 years old, so I was looking for something modern at a reasonable price - Pirelli 235s at that time were going for £400 a corner.

Vredestein Sportrac 3s had been recommended by someone on here, so I took the plunge for both front & rears - total cost was £335 delivered direct to GST from Pneu's Online. Earlier this year I got a huge bloody nail through the sidewall of one of the rears and as Sportrac 3s were no longer available so I had to replace both with Sportrac 5s. The tread pattern on the 5s is much closer to the original NCTs than the 3s are.

They also don't seem any narrower than the 235s - there's a photo from @Buddsy of the old/new side by side. And Gerald thought that they had filled out nicely. I do run them at the handbook recommended pressures - 21/25.

I've also put them on my Excel - which is my alternate daily driver, which I've also tracked. I'd put them on my modern car if they made the in the right size!

I think I was the first to recommend the Vredesteins...my 82 Turbo has had them fitted for quite a while, the Sportrac 3s....no complaints!! Nice to know the 5s are good, too ...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

The thread of the 5s look very similar to the Michelin PS2 (which are my favorite but not available in those sizes).

I have the 3s, and like them but the thread pattern is somewhat out of place on a 1987 car...

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting, costs about £100, V speed as well (149mph) They also do same tyre for fronts albeit H speed (130mph) cost about £50. Made in China though so would think would be a harder compound which are crap in the wet..but wet grip is a B! Need to go to a stockist and have a good look at them as cant find any reviews anywhere.

vitour.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bought these tyres, (fronts as well) having rims refurbed at the moment so obviously can't fit them! Will post some pics when all sorted. Rears come with raised white letters as well but unfortunately don't say "good year" !!

• 1 month later...

Wheels been given a bit of "fairy dust" and those new tyres fitted, only taken for short drive as the rear lower link (that I bent) was about to be removed! Love the tyres, car feels totally planted to the road and also more comfortable, guess the 30 year old Goodyears were worse than I thought...

021.jpg

022.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

Looks good mate but why are you advertising a bar of chocolate on your tyres?

Coz they are paying me an absolute fortune!

Got a feather duster on the engine as well..B-) 

013.jpg

Shame there isn't a tyre brand called "snickers".. .

It'd be great to have "Get Some Nuts" stencilled on your G-car's boots ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

Shame there isn't a tyre brand called "snickers".. .

It'd be great to have "Get Some Nuts" stencilled on your G-car's boots ?

Guess "Toblerone" tyres would be triangular and wouldn't fit on the wheels...

3 hours ago, esprit22 said:

Guess "Toblerone" tyres would be triangular and wouldn't fit on the wheels...

And the newer ones would have more voids than thread!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Just a thought, if anyone still has a fetish for the original NCT1 tyres, they are welcome to have mine. Fronts still have loads of tread left but rears are past wear blocks in the middle.

was gonna put away in loft but will never use them again.

• 2 weeks later...