Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My wish list for the Evora Roadster - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My wish list for the Evora Roadster

StephVG

Considering that the Evora Roadster is one of the most eagerly anticipated Lotuses to date, and having myself driven all versions of the Evora up to the 400 (I have yet to try the 410), and also understanding that this forum is often looked at by the Lotus people themselves (so I hear anyway...), I started to ask myself what would really get me out of my Exige S and into Evora Roadster ownership.

Here's what I think would seal the deal for me.

Make it a real Cayman GT4 beater.

That means more power, or less weight, than current Evoras, so that the power-to-weight ratio really goes up. It also means more practicality than my Exige S, which is a stunning car that is easily capable of humbling 911s all the way to the 997 GT3 (991s GT3s are a little out of the Exige's reach), but which really forces me to make strong compromises when I go touring with it.

So if the Roadster is going to be a 2-seater only, then make sure there is space behind those seats for luggage and stuff, because the current Evora's boot is way too small to be able to compete with the 981/718 platform with its 2 boots front and rear.

Also, give it an innovative roof that is light, practical and eye-catching. Once again, the current Boxsters are so easy as far as their roof operation is concerned, even the Spyder!

And lastly, don't worry too much about upgrading the current Evora interior. Yes it's inferior to main-stream (i.e. rich) manufacturers like Porsche, but who cares? It's certainly good enough. Don't spend any development money there, work on the other parameters I've just mentioned instead.

I can't wait to see the Evora Roadster in the flesh. And I really hope it is good enough to tempt me...

Edited by StephVG

I didn't think the "roadster" was ever going to happen..........

Or im sure that's what id heard

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

1 hour ago, StephVG said:

Make it a real Cayman GT4 beater.

If (and its still definitely an 'if', not a 'when') the Evora Roadster comes out, it won't be a track focused car. That's the role of the 410. 

It will be a much softer, road biased car (pretty much like the Exige Roadster). The Boxster would be a more natural 'target', rather than a Cayman GT4. 

I'm looking forward to the roadster like many people, but I think we have to be realistic about what it will likely be.  It may be a bit lighter, a bit more powerful, but it will like be competition for the F Type and Porsche Boxster.  For those who want a more hardcore version, I would not be surprised to see Lotus as some point come out with a limited edition Evora 410 Roadster as Lotus loves to release numerous iterations of its cars

• Gold FFM

For me the key is that roof-on it needs to have at least as much rear space and legroom as the S1 Evora.  The appeal of the Evora is the 2+2 and if you give that up you may as well have an Exige or Elise.  I know some people say the +2 is unusable but I disagree: I've had two kids in the back from when in child seats up to age 15, my road bike fits in the back and I can carry suitcases and cases of wine.  Power-wise if it was the same as the 400 that would be fine, as would the 400 interior.  If the roof has to stow behind the front seats and limits the use for rear passengers but still gives some luggage space that's a reasonable compromise for me.

I think the last I read was a couple of months ago saying the Roadster was 18-24 months away?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I wish I could buy one.

Does that count?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Well you guys are demanding... a 2+2 roadster with more luggage space than a Boxster, more power and torque, more convenience... 

So the 2+2 configuration is pretty much a no go... JMG said many times the two piece roof will store behind the front seats, so at best you will get the convenience of extra luggage space when the roof is in use.

The extra power may come if Lotus decides to change the gearbox supplier or they manage to convince AISIN to review the internals of the manual and auto boxes to provide Lotus with more leeway... That is unlikely at the moment.

An innovative rood design... Do you mean a fully automated metal folding rood a la 650s or 488 GTS?  Last time JMG mentioned the car he stated that it was going to be a targa type car. For some reason I thought it was a smoke screen cause the targa top would not require that much time developing but actually they need to design a new body for the car and a new rear clamshell to accommodate the rollover hoops or cage.  So if they have limited staffing in engineering that may explain the delay, especially if they are taking jobs sequentially.

We may see the car at Geneva 2017 as Lotus will attend it and I cannot think of any car they'd show there now that the range is pretty complete. They just introduced new sport version for both Evora and Exige, the Elise line up is complete as far as I know, 3-Eleven road and race are on sale... So they could unveil the Cup version of Exige and Evora but that would be essentially stealing the thunder of cars that are just on sale, There's no point going to Geneva to unveil Race versions of the cars... So considering the next Elise is still 3 years away and the SUV's development must be at standstill due to the imminent sale of Proton... That leaves  the Evora roadster to justify even going to Geneva. So Geneva unveil in march 2017 and release in January 2018 maybe.  

NedaSay:

I agree with you.  The roadster, by all indications will be a 2 seater targa with a roof which the owner can manually take off and store behind the front seats.  At best the two-piece roof might store vertically which might leave some room for storage space as opposed to lying flat.  More power is unlikely, but car might lose a bit of weight if the roof turns out to be carbon fiber.  The absence of rear seats might drop a few pounds as well.

Also agree that Geneva 2017 is the earliest we might see the car in the flesh (but it could be Geneva 2018).

If it is Geneva 2018, JMG and the crew would better come with more than a manual targa... 2 years is plenty when it comes to setting up and fine tuning a two piece automated folding roof when companies like  Valmet Roof Systems are around... And Valmet is the company that purchased Karmann which was the company originally drafted by Lotus to deliver the roof of the initial Evora under MJK. If it is Geneva 2017 a manual 2 pieces removable roof is fine but come to think of it, if that thing is to be handled by customers having 2 pieces might be tricky.

Edited by NedaSay

nobody has yet mentioned that point, but I heard through the grapevine that, if it ever comes out, The Evora Roadster would be a lot more expensive than the 400 :ph34r:  ! I can't figure out why, if it's just a soft top version, à la Elise/Exige Roadster, but I was said it would be a high price tag ... 

I'm cooling on the roadster. Maybe I'm getting old. I get the idea of the wind in the hair experience and having had convertibles in the past, and having got a VX220 now, it is a great experience. But then, as reminded at the weekend you really need a hat of some sort to protect the old bonce from the wind, the sun, and the stones that fly over the windscreen into your forehead!  Got a nasty little cut from that last one from the weekend as no hat on!

Then, there is the issue of the sun, especially in the spring, autumn and winter when it is low in the sky. I find i need a peaked cap on as otherwise the sun can blind you over the top of the windscreen, especially when you are on lumpy, windy, beautiful roads in places like Scotland!

What really got me thinking against the roadster was the though of having a 410!  I always drive with the windows open anyway in my current Evora unless it is is raining. So i get the fresh air, the noise etc. So the thought of a 410, with no NVH,Aircon or Radio is bliss to me.

I'm not an audiophile. I like music and listening to it, but not when in the car. So no radio is not a minus. Plus, I can put a "smart" 7" screen device in their connected to my ECU to get a custom mapping and graphs for lap timing, engine monitoring and sat nav and still have a reversing camera. In fact everything I use my current ICE for as I hardly ever have the radio/music on anyway!  

Then, no AC means i just have the windows open - so no downside there

But then the 410 has a roof - which means i do not need a hat/cap and will not get blinded by the sun over the windscreen.

So, with the 400 roadster likely to be more expensive, i think for me, the best solution and place for my money is a 410. But then, I'd probably never spend £80k+ on a car anyway as I'm just tight!

So, in summary, I've gone from absolute delight and enthusiasm for the roadster, to meh!  Maybe it's the wait and length of time taken. maybe I'll change my mind when i see it.  but right now, I'm trying to convince myself that a red 410 is what i need to make my life complete!  hahaha..... :)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I actually think Geneva 2018 makes a lot of sense if the car is 2 years away from production.  Lotus needs to take advantage of the initial buzz from the introduction of the Roadster.  That means, it should be able to take orders at introduction and get the roadster to customers in the next several months.  What happened with the Evora coupe is that you could almost forget about the car because of the delay between introduction and availability.  Porsche introduced the GT4 at the same time as the Evora, but Porsche took orders immediately and the car was essentially sold out at introduction.  There is a lesson in that for Lotus.  I'm sure Lotus lost a lot of business in the USA because it took so long to get the car to the States.

As for a mechanical roof, I have no interest in that at all.  It would add too much cost, weight and complexity to the car.  The Vette has a removable roof that is manual and no one complains about the roof.  It just needs to be well designed and light.. As for cost, you typically see convertibles costing around $5,000-$10,000 more than coupes and that is what I would expect Lotus to charge for the roadster.  Lotus will charge as much as they think the market will bear.  Let's not forget that Lotus has to stay profitable in order to fund the cost of new models.  My guess is that the SUV is probably off the table until Lotus knows if it will have a new owner, but  a new Elise, Exige and eventually a revised Evora will be needed if Lotus is to stay in business and be competitive. 

• Like 1

I also think a mechanical roof would be a pointless waste of money and weight.

Fundamental Lotus rules of looks, weight and handling still need to trump practicality, or it's going to fighting on unknown territory.

I've said before, and appreciate it's not an issue for many,but if they could manage to keep the 2+2 arrangement (even if storing the roof takes the back seats out of commission) then my chances of buying one would be exponentially higher.

1 hour ago, Inkyfingers said:

I've said before, and appreciate it's not an issue for many,but if they could manage to keep the 2+2 arrangement (even if storing the roof takes the back seats out of commission) then my chances of buying one would be exponentially higher.

I think it's an issue for more people than manufacturers generally give it credit. Just look at the 911's enduring success...

You can always go and buy one of the plethora of shite, underwhelming, bland built for orange people 4 seat convertibles from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Porsche, and heavens, who would ever have thought it, Range Rover.

4 seater, meh! It's for babies ;)

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mclaren, Pagani, Koenigsegg, and other manufacturers of fine super cars seem to do just fine with +0's....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I'm longing to see an Evora Roadster as I can't see me replacing my current Exige with anything else. I'm happy with the idea of a 2 piece targa top, just so long as it is held in place with quick release type clips, rather than having to use Torx type screws or any tools to remove for that matter, as on the Exige hardtop.

I'd also be happy with it being based on the existing 400 since that would seem to me to be a more than adequate power output. 

Come on Lotus get your finger out, I've got deposit money burning a great big hole in my pocket and I'd just hate to push it towards a German manufacturer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's some new pics of the Evora roadster in the news...  what do you guys think?

Ok, so it's the limited to 10 cars Ferrari J50, but definitely some similarities.. a good starting point for hethel :D

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 12.00.46.png

• Gold FFM

I saw a Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta recently and I changed my mind about the LaFerrari, it looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Looks like a very tight cab too, actually. What a machine.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

6 hours ago, mcx said:

There's some new pics of the Evora roadster in the news...  what do you guys think?

Ok, so it's the limited to 10 cars Ferrari J50, but definitely some similarities.. a good starting point for hethel :D

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 12.00.46.png

Like that a lot Martin - just need Lotus to come up with a slightly more affordable Evora version :)

• Like 1

One interesting move might be to introduce a 4 cylinder engine with the roadster.  Such an engine could still deliver 400 hp with more torque and significantly less weight.  That would be an interesting play.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read an interview with JMG which said that Lotus will skip the 2017 Geneva Auto Show.  That makes sense.  Hard to believe Lotus would have anything to show this year.  Not sure if any of the current models can be further iterated other than the Evora Roadster and that is around 20 months away which would line up with a Geneva 2018 introduction.