Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radio / Head unit questions - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radio / Head unit questions

I have three different ideas for ICE for my next car, all based on using Android. What is the best way to go?

• "Plan A": sacrifice the two central air outlets and make a custom panel to mount a 1-din android head unit with an 8" screen. Would look very similar to the screens mounted on most ars today. Question: how important are these air vents? will I melt without them?
  • "Plan B": Mount a 1-din android head unit with a 7" screen extending down in front of the heater controls. These would have to be moved. I've seen a few solutions for this approach.
  • "Plan C": ditch the head unit and buy a Bose noise cancelling headset and use this coupled to the smartphone (plus a second set for the copilot). I could see this route if the Exige noise levels are such that a radio just doesn't make sense.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

and the easiest and cheapest  : https://www.carjoying.com/1-din-android-car-gps-navigation/8-1-din-android-gps-navigation.html

joying_new_developed_android_5.1_single_

you can set the screen at the height you desire, so not blocking heater controls or vents, no modification on the car ... the only downside is that you have to take off the screen in unsecure places, and it looks less integrated than other solutions. A friend of mine put it in its Exige, and he's happy with the quality. please note there even is a German warehouse to avoid all the customs problems.

Oooh, that joying option would be nice in my VX220 with a b/t ODBII dongle and a nice "app" to drive the display like Torque.  Hmmmm. Very nice.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

45 minutes ago, French Frie said:

and the easiest and cheapest  : https://www.carjoying.com/1-din-android-car-gps-navigation/8-1-din-android-gps-navigation.html

joying_new_developed_android_5.1_single_

you can set the screen at the height you desire, so not blocking heater controls or vents, no modification on the car ... the only downside is that you have to take off the screen in unsecure places, and it looks less integrated than other solutions. A friend of mine put it in its Exige, and he's happy with the quality. please note there even is a German warehouse to avoid all the customs problems.

I have that unit in mind, but decently mounted.B-) Should look better than OEM and not like backyard mount.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

I was very happy with that unit, though it did have a thermal issue. I had the fix, but didn't get to do it before.... 

But, there are better ones available today (see above). 

I will send you pictures of my installation of the Joying in my Exige at the end of the week B-)

The install is really plug and play with the ISO harness. I have pluged also a dash cam behind my central mirror which work in loop.

Next step is the reverse camera that I already buy but I need some time to install it.

Here is my Pros/Cons regarding this Joying unit :

PROS :

Easy install

Many connections (USB port, Micro SD, Dash Cam, Reverse Cam, Mic)

Possible to install many apps (Record Dash Cam, Automatic Reverse, Torque, Waze, iCoyote ...) with smooth navigation

Very good GPS with fast fix and receipt

Good touch screen

Fast boot

CONS :

Audio is good but not better than the OEM unit (who cares ?)

Display a bit too large (7"). It hide the ventilation panel from the driver's view

And most important : the diplay is really directive so if you are not face to the screen, the indications are not very clear.

For the price, it is a really good solution.

But the SSC double Din with Tesla vent looks really nice ! :wub:

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback. But  I have finally decided to install a "simple" new head unit with an additionnal subwoofer.

I work now on a config with a raspberry pi and a tft 3,5 screen to connect to the ODB in order to retrieve informations. The idea here is to show in real time the current gear... 

I have the SSC double din parrot module installed. Looks really good and I have it nicely setup with my obd, reversing camera and dash camera. 

I also had a very small sub installed just above the passenger footrest, fits perfect. Sounds great. SSC did a great job, but most of the dash had to come out for the install. 

The only problem with the parrot unit is that turning volume up/down isn't the easiest and the automatic screen brightness doesn't want to work properly so I just have it set to a constant brightness. 

2015 Orange Exige V6

• 1 year later...

Has anyone looked at getting the double din headunit centre console from Lotus?

Its listed in the options. Not seen one in the flesh but it would allow use of aftermarket double din unit.

Are you sure?

Never seen that as a factory option. Only the SSC retrofit of Tesla parts.

I wouldn’t have gone down the road of fitting the flip out single din Pioneer if a double din option was available.

Are you thinking of an Evora?

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2018 at 16:04, KJD said:

Are you sure?

Never seen that as a factory option. Only the SSC retrofit of Tesla parts.

I wouldn’t have gone down the road of fitting the flip out single din Pioneer if a double din option was available.

Are you thinking of an Evora?

Definite spec option on current cars if you spec navigation at another £600. They fit an alpine double din unit. I’ll see if f I can find a pic. ?

Is it the same as the simply sports cars one:

Image result for exige double din

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 6 months later...

Oooh does it do CarPlay or android only? Alpine Halo9 is similar but bigger I think.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• 1 month later...

I was pretty sure you were mistaken but I was being polite and not shouting it from the rooftops. 😁

Well done for getting your rear plate plinth off, btw.

I did warn you the edge might dig in. Sounds like you’ve got the same little mark as me now!

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 14:08, Edinburgh 111s said:

Hi there. Has anyone got the joying head unit installed, if so does anyone have any pictures of it? Would be good to see how it looks and how adjustable it is as I am concerned that it might cover the heating / ac controls ?

Custom 3D-print based installation

IMG_20170221_130707.jpg

IMG_20170221_135122.jpg

IMG_20170226_114421.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1