Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engines out! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engines out!

Big Vern

Hi all, the engines currently out having some work done due to low compression in one of the cylinders. Has anyone compiled a list of things to check while the engine is out i.e tanks, manifold etc just in case i miss something important before it goes back in.

Many thanks

IMG_2503.jpg

Definitely take a good look at the tanks, access is SO much easier with the engine out! Basically it's a good idea to check everything in sight, better safe than sorry. ;-) Not saying you should replace stuff, just have a good look around to avoid nasty surprises at a later time.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

If its the same as my 1984 turbo then check the bush in the rhs engine mount that the gear change mid pivot mounts in. Mine was shot after 70k miles and its a right pain to do in situe. Costs about £5 for a new one. I would also check all the rubber bushes in the gear linkage at the same time as cost peanuts and are usually pretty worn out.

Christian

check and clean any debris on the 'shelf' where the water pipes all enter the chassis.  Also check all alloy pipes for pinholing at the point they enter the chassis.   Also suggest changing any rusted normally inaccessible hoseclips 

Flash back to this time last year and mine looked very similar. 

As above and a special plus 1 for the bush that Christian mentioned, in fact I also ended up getting SJ's to re-fabricate the central pivot bar on the translator rod in the gear linkage mechanism ( you can see it in the middle of my photo) as there was still some play even with the new bush fitted. With that and all the rubber bushes elsewhere in the mechanism replaced the gear change is superb. 

I also replaced all the rubber water hoses and jubilee clips with stainless ones because they were so easy to access, the engine and gear box mounts and the heat shield on the LHS which protects the radius arm bush, although your one looks in much better nick than mine. 

Rather than refit the cast iron manifold, I ended up fitting an SJ Stainless manifold which for me needed a couple of goes to fit correctly as the single pipe after the 4:1 collector was vibrating against the chassis on my early attempts

It's also mandatory to get at least one photo of you standing in the engine bay while the engine's out.

IMG_1716.JPG

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

Do as much as you can afford.

check and clean stuff - hose clips are cheap and simple to replace - get a dose off eBay but make sure they are decent stainless uk supplied ones.

check the tanks - would be worth painting them if required - again cheap to do and may well save issues later.

id be replacing engine and gearbox mountings as a matter of course since it's just so much easier to do.

a rough clean round and paint where required in the engine bay - again nice and cheap just takes a bit of time but makes a real difference

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Fuel lines Brett, I've seen some horror stories on here with fires caused by leaks. yours, if original are 30 years young, and will eventually perish over time. I know all these bits add up, but it'll be a much easier job with the engine out, and peace of mind for another 20 years or so.