Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is the Elite weird? - Page 3 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is the Elite weird?

Brian, sorry, I thought you were just talking about me mocking up a picture - hence the thought that it would 'look' like an Elite.

In reality, a different beast but I still think the bright work on the Elite/Eclat and the dropped body line up to the front windows sets them apart from later cars which IMO look a bit more 'standard fare' :sofa: No offence intended!

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure what you guys are talking about, but I have replaced an early Excel (Elite style) dash for a later Excel dash and it fits straight in. Width is the same but you need the later Excel door cards to match up. Other work needs to take place heater box wise etc. Have a good Christmas and new year holiday. I will be in the garage as usual working on cars and bikes.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 12:34, oilmagnet477 said:

Just a bit of fun - as it's Christmas! (Massive apologies to Mssrs Winterbottom and Kimberly!)

Still prefer the original but I think something along the lines of an Elite/Eclat hydrid is actually quite cool and would have given a bigger boot.

Rear view camera does away with the need for a rear window lol

lotus-elite-variations.jpg

looks a bit like a lambo espada ?

Oilmagnet, no offence taken. You were right I was asking for a mock up of an Excelite, but as you said it would look no different from an Elite. 

Dave Excell, I am genuinely serious about investigating a physical alteration to an Excel, but I don't have access to an Excel to compare measurements and draw up plans.

I'd be interested to learn more about the heater box mods as I was told this was the reason why the interchange could not happen

Thanks

Brian

I believe a different (Toyota?) heater box was used in the later Excel with the new shape dash. The Elite/Eclat used a unit with vacuum controls. The ventilation intake is also different on the later Excel, so I'm not sure if a later heater unit will fit. Lotusbits will know.

Richard

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 23:01, JayEmm said:

It's a weird car. One of the 7 weirdest cars in the world? Not by a long shot.

I am afraid the Elite and the Europa are the two Lotus I may never love. I just can't get on with the looks of them. In truth I'm not a big fan of the S1 Esprit either.

I think this has more to do with your age , than your taste in car . Nostalgia is a big part it

• Gold FFM

I'll happily accept that. Every generation has cars that it tends to appreciate. I'm of the Gran Turismo generation so I have a weird affinity for R34 Nissan Skylines in Bayside Blue. Never driven one, not even sat in one. Still want one.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

4 hours ago, rjwooll said:

I believe a different (Toyota?) heater box was used in the later Excel with the new shape dash. The Elite/Eclat used a unit with vacuum controls. The ventilation intake is also different on the later Excel, so I'm not sure if a later heater unit will fit. Lotusbits will know.

Richard

I spoke to Mike Taylor at lotusbits on Saturday , and he informed me that it isn't a straight swap . He didn't say it couldn't be done , just that it was not a out and in job

• Gold FFM
On 12/19/2016 at 08:51, biggee said:

looks a bit like a lambo espada ?

And I was thinking along the lines of turning an Elite into a pickup with a nice V8. Dunc, your thoughts. Stiffen up the rear half with some box section. Fit a pannel behind the seats bonded in to the roll bar and and some steel work bonded to the existing floor to keep it all rigid.  Line the interior of the bed in nice tongue and grove Oak, all highly polished of coarse. I am sure it could all be done fairly simply.

John, don't forget that you would have to make and fit two petrol tanks into the footwells in front of the rear seats and connect them like the Europa. I wouldn't cut the body but leave it as it is and use it as a two seater estate car - shooting brake - hearse?

To be a truly "Lotus" funeral the coffin would have to stick out the back and be secured by tie wraps. And the lid held down with rivnuts.

On 17/12/2016 at 19:16, rjwooll said:

I may be in a minority, but I think Winterbottom's concept of a more minimalist interior (with slim front seat backs and a low-line dash shelf and driver's instrument binnacle - a bit like the Rover SD1 I suppose) would have suited the car better than the Guigiaro design, which is more opulent.

Is there a picture of this anywhere Richard, I can't bring it to mind?

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Another story about colour is recounted in Tony Rudd's autobiography "It Was Fun!" which I may previously have posted here - if so, my apologies for being tedious.

When Tony Rudd was appointed a director of Team Lotus, he was allowed to choose a Lotus Elite in his own personal colour scheme. He chose banana yellow bodywork with the brightwork anodised black instead of chrome. Chunky (his nickname for Chapman) 'had a fit,' gave Tony Rudd a telling off and made him responsible for ensuring people issued with Lotus product cars '...took care of them and, more to the point, did not modify them at all.' To Rudd's amusement, the Marauder boat (made by Chapman's boat company, JCL) exhibited at Earls Court later that year was finished in 'banana yellow, with the erstwhile bright work anodised black!'

This was before Hazel Chapman and Altair Green I believe.

ATB Richard

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 14:29, Loose Cannon said:

To be a truly "Lotus" funeral the coffin would have to stick out the back and be secured by tie wraps. And the lid held down with rivnuts.

Is there a picture of this anywhere Richard, I can't bring it to mind?

I'm sure I've seen Winterbottom's design sketch of the dash somewhere alongside the story, but knowing me I might have imagined it as I haven't located it yet.

• Gold FFM
On 12/18/2016 at 23:13, Dan E said:

That's Ricks on here. It's lovely

IMG_0787.JPG

:wub: 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

To answer the original question, NO. It isn't weird but it is unusual. Most Lotus cars are.

If you were around, when it came out, the "74 Elite made it on the cover of Road and Track magazine and usually only special cars make it to the front page. The body design is functional with one of the lowest drag coefficient, even today, at .03 .

It's basic body design was copied from the American Motors Gremlin which came out a couple of years before the Elite.  https://www.google.com/search?q=AC+gremlin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCu-j-_bHRAhUE6GMKHbRPCwMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1742&bih=915

Sad to say this as I hate these cars. BUT, what is underneath is what makes the Elite so special. The chassis design goes back, starting with the 60's Elan and every car Lotus built up to the Esprit. A very similar chassis to the racing, mid engine Lotus 30/40 race cars of the 60's. Jim clark broke the F1 track record, in one, at Silverstone.

Same basic sheet metal back bone chassis with the body built in box sections making the Elite, a very stiff car to hang your drive train on.

This car was built during the time when Lotus dominated formula 1 racing so it has suspension links, in design, that came directly from the track and is one reason why it was, arguably, the best handling Lotus of it's day and also why it has such great road manners. 

I have also owned mine since 1982 and have yet to capture it on film where it looks like it does in person.

IMHO, it looks so much better in person. Most of the examples, I have seen, are in tattered condition and don't look all that well. 

just my two cents on the matter.

atb,

Richard

5 hours ago, Elite 4.9 said:

It's basic body design was copied from the American Motors Gremlin which came out a couple of years before the Elite.  https://www.google.com/search?q=AC+gremlin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCu-j-_bHRAhUE6GMKHbRPCwMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1742&bih=915

atb,

Richard

I totally disagree B-) The Gremlin was a U.S. 'compact', short and wide, the Elite is a british GT Car, and the rear side windows look totally different as well as the front of course

Also described in this video: Elite Story where you also see some details about the design (and why it came out as it is)

• Like 1

I sort of see what Richard means, but I think its a huge leap to think that's what Oliver had in mind when he penned the Elite, but who knows.

For me personally, when I first saw the Elite as a kid at Earls Court I thought it modern and sexy. I don know if that's why I still do. Also, if the Elite is weird, then surely the Scimitar, Espada and even a Rover SD1 must also have borderline weirdness, and I would imagine there are many more. Something I don't think many people would entertain.

Great discussion though!.