Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 75 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Just because there are no cars currently to enhance doesn't mean the effect won't translate to future cars. However, Lotus needs to get some new cars out in the next 3 years. Not just Evoras with a little more HP and carbon fiber. They need some new stuff.

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

Well we are supposed to get the new sport car out next year, the last car on one of current architecture, this thing was supposed to be unveiled this year in JMG's plan but the new management pushed it back a full year so it should be niggle free right of  the bat. If it is going to be VVA it should still feature some of the design language seen on Evija.  A Geely group propulsion system and a lot more tech in the cabin... Popham said it would  be unveiled late in the year but one never really knows with LOTUS .

A lot of call online for something new, literally anything as long as it’s new. It’s presumably based on the view that newer automatically equals better which is not a view I share.

It seems to ignore the trends across the wider industry, far fewer resources have been directed towards drivers cars, let alone fantastic handling sports cars with interesting, characterful petrol powertrains.

Lotus are now dedicated on reaching out beyond the hardcore enthusiast market. That means more accessible, less hardcore (less exciting) cars, targets are greater ease of entry/egress and interior tech not finely judged spring rates, throttle response, obsessively honed steering systems and other things the wider market don’t care about.

If this is all people want when they ask for something new, this is all they’ll get.

• Like 1

Pitts:

The market has spoken.  Raw cars such as the current lineup do not sell in sufficient numbers for Lotus to survive.  If you want the last great analogue cars Lotus is likely to produce, pick among the current line of cars.  The car scheduled for next year is likely to straddle the line between today’s cars and where Lotus intends to go next which appears to be electric and much more luxurious.

• Like 1

The market is also saying forget sports cars altogether. The industry is rapidly moving away from drivers cars. Lotus, for me, were ideally placed to buck this trend and educate the market with smart communications and prove the value of lightweight engineering on the track, preferably via endurance racing which would help address the undeserved reputation for reliability.

The GT430 is the pinnacle for me, the most consistently enjoyable and impressive Lotus I’ve driven by some way although anyone could easily argue a case for the an Exige Cup 430 as the more exciting driving experience or 311-430 for being the most intense expression of the Lotus ethos. Purest current Lotus remains the Elise, probably the 220 Sprint. All cars I believe many here will regret not buying when they had the chance.

Let’s just say the targets are all hit and the main actual strides forward with the next car is ease of ingress/egress, daily useability and interior tech. Amazing styling is almost a given in Russell Carr’s current form. Regardless, would such a thing really be a better Lotus compared to what is currently on sale?

I’m not hearing about any targets to re-write the rules on driving dynamics, suspension design or driver engagement, no plans to re-focus the industry away from ever increasing power and weight, no plans to radically improve build quality (massive missed opportunity, needs to be at the forefront of all future plans, there should be quarterly announcements). No plans to lead, only follow whatever is currently popular. They talk about Lotus DNA but it’s just an empty sound bite, they don’t have the vision to see the opportunity that fundamental Lotus principles still offer. The success of the Alpine is staring them in the face.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Pits said:

The market is also saying forget sports cars altogether.

And yet, look at the new Vette.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I can’t for long, it’s utterly hideous!

Alpine has heavily outsold the Cayman across Europe, 2533 units vs 1601 Caymans (down 40%). Time for Lotus to wake up!

11 hours ago, The Pits said:

Alpine has heavily outsold the Cayman across Europe, 2533 units vs 1601 Caymans (down 40%). Time for Lotus to wake up!

I think a bit of patience is needed, the A110 was started from what I can find in 2014 and have the backing of Renault with their umpteen years of press panel expertise. The shear fact they apparently created the A110 in three years is amazing it it was that short. Most manufactures work on 5 years.

1 hour ago, au-yt said:

I think a bit of patience is needed, the A110 was started from what I can find in 2014 and have the backing of Renault with their umpteen years of press panel expertise. The shear fact they apparently created the A110 in three years is amazing it it was that short. Most manufactures work on 5 years.

The alpine A110 was in gestation as early as 2013 if not before that, the car is the result of the work that they started with Caterham before the JV went tits up.

I could tell you that the first of next gen sport car is ready then... It started development almost 4 years ago now... Evora was developed in record time, Elise is still the yardstick for shortest leadtime I believe.  the new sport car was delayed mostly because it was going to be a "Toyota" car and now it's poised to be a "Geely" car. I believe it is about ready for its unveil, but they still needed to move a few Evora GT before showing it. I do think it will be yet another step forward in driver involvement and enjoyment,  I trust Carr design team and Kershaw dynamics team to get this right... Build quality better be right from the get go. It will be the second fully global car after Evora and it better be ready to retail globally from the off. Now management need to get its act together  when it comes to retail and marketing cause right now i'm still in disbelief as to  how very little they are doing. 

• Like 2

Fair comment. However I still believe they need to get this car right and that includes marketing. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s marketed in China first, it’s there biggest market.

Uh no it isn't. It is a very big prospective market, that is true but sales in Japan, mainland Europe (atomized market) and the USA do still dwarf it for the time being. They only officially have the 5 dealers in China although i think the number is closer to 10 now and they are expanding quickly,  however from what I understand all these dealers are 4S centres and their layout is somewhat reminiscent of the Lotus dealership experience put forward in the DB era.

China is definitely going to be one of Lotus biggest markets if not the biggest once the e-SUV and e-sedan are here, but as long as we think in terms of sport cars the US, Europe and Japan will still be ahead, because purchasing one car is hard enough in China and Lotis are most often the second car. I'm still very curious to see how many cars they will shift in China but kinda of surprised that they do not sell the Elise and Exige there...

Also one of the few development  to the Chinese market is that Lotus will now use the Lotus moniker and roundel without the need to add NYO. It seems this situation has been resolved and  they did not need to make an announcement about it. I guess somebody's hand was nicely strong armed or somebody got a very nice payday from the powers that be.

Edited by NedaSay

A couple of interesting titbits in there. I just hope that the all new platform remains relatively compact, particularly in terms of its width. So many people with the means to buy sports cars live in cities.. and it's just a faff to have something mega wide. I'm convinced that's a major reason the new astons are struggling. And also why the "everyday sports car" did so well for porsche. There's surely an opportunity in there with the new 911s getting becoming so .... er ... porky.

Evija is unusually compact for its catagory, so I believe Russell Carr at least is on the same page. He'll be looking to preserve that key Lotus attribute going forward I'm sure.

5 hours ago, harrry said:

I just hope that the all new platform remains relatively compact, particularly in terms of its width. ...

While I get that, one of the things that got me out of Elise was that basically I don't fit.  Its not all that much better in the Evora.  I'm a bit lardy but not THAT big and only 6 foot.  Elise platform with anyone my size or bigger in the passenger seat and we're rubbing shoulders hard and leaning on the door at the same time.  In the Evora its just the occasional brush if pushing on.  Its nice having my own space in the Esprit and M100 and I don't consider them "big" in the way the RangeRover is.  Its much the same with Plane/Train and many Theartre seats - too narrow and not somewhere I'd ever chose to put myself.  With obesity issues becoming more - er - widespread, it may not be a great idea to discount half the market.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I'm a lardy bastard and fit in the Evora carbon buckets better than the thinner @Colin P (he just must have a wider arse!) And have no issues getting in to our out of my Evora 410 Sport.

My type116 (the vauxhall Elise lol) is dead easy too. I just unclip the roof. Fold it over in half. Step onto the seat and slide right in just like an F1 driver. Pull the roof over, clip it on and vroom vroom.

Is it stylish looking? Nope. But it actually adds to the experience and just helps to remind me that that car is just so different and focused (it's also highly modified with a 260bhp sc, variable steering rack, spitfire rods, nitrons, harness and lcd dash etc, so obviously not a DD.

I sort of get your point re the market, but I really do think the world would be a poorer place without cars of the like Lotus is a master at making...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Worry not guys, sizing, easier egress and ingress is one of the core characteristics JMG made clear in is business plan and Popham and Co are sticking to it. The new Evija is a clear indicator of what we can expect to get with the next gen cars. Lotus will still be compact but the cabin will be absolutely liveable,  Henry Catchpole from Carfection is one of the tallest car journalist out there, lanky but very tall and he had room to move about in the car. Matt Farrah from Smoking Tire is what can only be described as big and tall and yet he fits in the Evora GT with a helmet on without the need to take his shoes off and without have the seat nibling at the waist. Evora 's VVA is going to be the conceptual base for the next gen of cars, it will be heavily reengineered and  but deep down it will be an evolution of that so I think if you fit in 95%, you should be fine.

the future shape of the skeleton production hall.

They just obtained official permission the 25th of september so if they want to start the production of Evija in late 2020 they seriously have to get crackin, the superstructure is already built but they still have to do the glazing and all the interior fittings.

https://info.south-norfolk.gov.uk/online-applications/files/3DBBA0D2BFE687393EB05BFEDE3F69F4/pdf/2019_1830-PROPOSED_ELEVATIONS_SHEET_1-6469744.pdf

DB would be proud it doesn't look like they changed much to the original layout 

https://info.south-norfolk.gov.uk/online-applications/files/C5F8F02490F3D4C1605E229B2674FC84/pdf/2018_2147-PROPOSED_SITE_CAR_PARKING-6190094.pdf

Thank you @Chipp for sharing these with me, i've been nerding part of the day.

It is quite fun to see that despite a change in ownership and 2 changes in management some of Dany Bahar initiatives will come to fruition has it appears the skeleton has only be modified cosmetically.

Edited by NedaSay

• 3 weeks later...