Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 18 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

I'm pretty confident.... you need someone with big pockets, lots of enthusiasm to revive flame...Chinese are hard workers, proud, cash rich and willing...... plenty of amazing new and improved models ahead.... it's the first time they put their hands on a sports car manufacturer...... they won't f....k it up ....

• Like 1

Autocar also have a brief article about it https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/geely-tipped-buy-controlling-stake-proton

I think Geely have done a good job with Volvo - and I'm hopeful that they do an equally good job with Lotus - whilst I didn't think PSA would know what to have done with them.

• Like 1

Well let's not get carried away. JMG will need to prove he can deliver the goods on new terms. And a lot of stuff will need to be reassessed... Group Lotus PLC shareholding structure first off and then Lotus cars supplying deals with Toyota will require some time and a lot of diplomacy convincing the new owners that the SUV project is viable and necessary will also be key and getting an immediate cash injection would be much welcomed.

Getting access to Volvo cabin tech would be amazing, Geely investing in Lotus engine tech one way or another would be cherry on top. I'm very curious as to what will materialise hopefully Lotus will be wholy owned by Geely. Proton is set to use Geely/Emgrand platforms and Geely could apply maximum pressure in China to get the Lotus moniker back from Youngman. 

I wonder how JMG is doing/feeling these days?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. That would still make them the first shareholder and decision maker with DRB-Hicom retaining a minority share what I would hate would be for Lotus to be a secondary subsidiaries thru proxy. 

Let's hope it doesn't derail the work JMG and the crew are doing at Hethel at the moment, Considering the shoe string budget they have, they are over performing but we are still supposed to get a new Cup250 launch or will it be Cup260 very soon  around Goodwood and an Evora variant probably the Race460 by years end if they maintain the current pace.

https://www.ft.com/content/19c854fc-3fcc-11e7-9d56-25f963e998b2

Edited by NedaSay

Does anybody know how long Lous has a engine supply contact with Toyota? The next years will be f u l l of Suspension for Lotus I guess, Volvo ist doin generally fine if we could trust the moto-journ. (;-) )

As Volvo is not known for a wide range of engine lately (only 4pots I believe, but to be fair, rated very high, esp the "Polestar

https://www.polestar.com/de/2016/12/12/polestar-wins-wards-10-best-engines-award-for-s60-and-v60-polestar/ ) we will have to see what will be in future cars of Lotus......

@Bravo73 Yip, you might have stressed a Point......

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2017/05/24/drb-hicom-to-sell-49pt9pct-in-proton-to-geely-holding/

More info on Lotus ownership split from the Malaysian Star

The deal will also see Proton exiting its stake in British carmaker Lotus. Geely is taking a 51% stake in Lotus and Etika Automotif Sdn Bhd the other 49%.

Who are EASB who have bought the other 49% of Lotus from Proton?

And more from Paul Tan

https://paultan.org/2017/05/24/geely-to-acquire-49-9-percent-stake-in-proton-51-percent-in-lotus/

We also aim to unleash the full potential of Lotus Cars and bring it into a new phase of development, thanks to our experience accumulated through Volvo Car’s revitalization

Edited by webfoot
  • Like 1

Out of interest I was looking at JMG on LinkedIn a while ago and noticed it seemed most of his tenatures have been around 2.5/3 years and certainly no longer, he joined Lotus May 2014.

Thanks for pasting that. That article also says:

"As part of the deal, Geely would also buy the entire stake in Lotus, British sports carmaker from Proton"

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Aye it's definately good news.   I sat in an XC90 this morning and if it's evidence of the good things that can happen under Geely ownership then i'm very confident in the future. 

I wouldn't write off Gales just get though - if they are serious about letting Lotus flourish then they won't want to change too much. 

Not many Chinese on the Volvo exec board for example....just a lot of Volvo people !

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/about/our-company/our-company-at-a-glance/executive-management-team

Edited by LazyDonkey

Ah and i forgot i think it is safe to assume that the Goldstar deal is dead or will have its scope heavily revised the first Proton car to come from the purchase by Geely will be a Protonized Boyue SUV.  

Proton-Geely-slideshow-36-630x420.jpg

The Goldstar JV was all about getting to get a foothold in China and an SUV, well somehow Proton got both. Lotus may get to use the XC40/60 underpinings to prop their own SUV. 

DRB-Hicom selling 100% of Lotus to Geely (51%) and Etika Automotive (49%) for $100M!!!

https://paultan.org/2017/05/24/drb-hicom-to-sell-lotus-in-its-entirety-for-100-million-geely-to-acquire-51-etika-automotive-to-buy-49/

So it was quite a cheap acquisition for Geely. Etika automotive appears to be part of a Malaysian financial group. I am looking for info on Etika Automotive but can't find much, the usual holding group with diversified assets and activities you can find anywhere. Etika Strategy had previously acquired DRB-Hicom back in 2006, so pretty much a cascading holding smoke screen.

Edited by NedaSay

Damn, £100m. If I'd won the lottery last night I could have bought half of Lotus and still have ££52m leftover......

Seriously this is great news, as I and others have said. Geely do appear to be the perfect owner/partner. Lotus brings its lightweight and chassis technology as well as its sports car heritage to the party and gets access to all the auto tech it so desperately needs. I can even see them helping Geely out with the taxi business - remember they did an all electric London Taxi Cab a few years ago?