Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 27 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

• 3 weeks later...

new piece from Top gear 

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/lotus-we-will-always-be-benchmark-light-weight

JMG is bullish to say the least.

His goal of producing more cars in the next 2 years has vanished thought but then again if they can generate 100M in turn over from just 1500 cars, there's probably hard logic to this.  

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/lotus-owner-geely-plans-suv-and-cars-rival-ferrari

I really hope they plan on competing with the Porsche more than just Ferrari,  keeping one or two entry level sports cars price below 35-40k  would be inline with the past of the company. Competing with Ferrari also means a successor to the Esprit is on its way. It is time to "unshelve" some ideas.

• Like 1

Uh these parallel circles put Lotus up to Porsche's face, Volvo in Audi's,  Link in VW's and Proton with Skoda, but  LEVC facing up Bugatti lol.

I'm guessing Terrafugia shall face up Bentley in a wing for wing fight to the death.

I cannot wait to see what Lotus and Geely have in the portfolio of concepts. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180112/ANE/180109972/lotus-ceo-sees-suv-coming-with-help-from-new-stakeholder-geely

It has been a momentous year for Lotus. Volvo Cars-owner Zhejiang Geely Holding bought a majority stake in the British sports car maker, ending the uncertainty over its future under former Malaysian owner, DRB-Hicom. CEO Jean-Marc Gales, who has spent the last three years fighting to stabilize Lotus' weak finances, said of the company's new Chinese owners: "It is the best thing that could have happened to us." He explained why he's confident that Lotus is ready to enter the premium SUV sector in an interview with Automotive News Europe Correspondent Nick Gibbs.

Where does Geely want to take Lotus?

Lotus is a benchmark for handling, aerodynamics and lightweight. I'm fairly sure with the Geely parts bin at our disposal, we can design a Lotus crossover that has unique lightweight features, aerodynamics and handling that befits the Lotus brand.

What's driving your plan to expand beyond sports cars?

We are not just tied to sports cars, which is a fairly stable market worldwide. What is growing at double-digits, however, is the SUV market, especially the premium SUV market.

Would the SUV platform use bonded aluminum like your sports cars?

Why should it? Bonded aluminum for sports cars is a great thing, and for the coming years we will certainly stick with that technology because we are masters at it. On other segments we can have steel, aluminum, composites or even carbon fiber. The future's wide open.

Will Geely use your engineering arm?

Lotus Engineering has lots to give to our shareholders as well. It's one of the reasons Geely bought us.

Lotus made a pre-tax profit in the second half of its last financial year. When will the company achieve full-year profitability?

Next year is clearly the plan. The target is to be cash-flow positive for this financial year. Lotus hasn’t been cash-flow positive for a couple of decades. One of the reasons Geely bought us is because Lotus has also managed to survive in a really tough automotive industry.

How have you improved cash flow when sales have been flat?

Last year's sales were 1,500 and this year they will stay about the same. However, revenues are up 15 percent because we're selling much higher-spec cars. In each of our product lines, the car with the highest horsepower is the best-seller. In addition, we are still reducing costs. In our next financial year [which starts April 1, 2018], we will enter the Chinese market with the Evora 400.

Could the Esprit supercar come back?

I can't divulge any future plans, but in the next six months we will announce some future projects. I am convinced the Esprit is an extremely good brand name.

Has Geely given you a sum to spend on developing new cars?

No sums are disclosed. We're working on an exciting five-year plan with our new shareholders. What you won't see us doing is launching five new cars at a motor show.

Meet the boss
NAME: Jean-Marc Gales
TITLE: Lotus Cars CEO
MAIN CHALLENGE: Expand into SUVs while keeping the Lotus DNA intact.

Where will the new cars be made?

Our sports cars will stay in the UK, that's clear. Lotus is quintessentially a UK brand so we need that. If, in the future, we have one or two plants for the potential crossover, they should be close to where the destination market is. For SUVs, the biggest market in the world is China. That’s where Geely has plants. But, I don't exclude anything at the moment.

Besides SUVs, are there any other segments Lotus could enter?

We're currently doing an analysis and there might be more segments where the Lotus DNA could be used. But for crossovers I'm not just thinking of one size, but a couple of sizes.

Do the SUVs have to be compact?

Lightweight doesn't mean small. It means efficient. It means intelligent engineering. It means using the right materials, with a low center of gravity for the right handling. We have ideas on how to achieve that.

Would it be hybrid? Electric?

There are trends leading toward electrification and all future Lotus cars will show some form of electrification. Maybe the sports cars will stick with combustion engines. If it isn't lightweight, however, we're not going to do it.

How has the pound's declining value affected Lotus?

On balance, it's slightly positive. Currently 70 percent of our parts are sourced locally, one of the highest in the UK, and we export 80 percent.

What are your fears when the UK leaves the EU in 2019?

If you get into a full WTO [World Trade Organization tariff] situation, everything gets more expensive. There's no way out of that. I am willing to increase UK-sourced components above the 70 percent, but at the moment there's a lot of talk of support [from the UK government] but not a lot of commitment.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Sounds to me a new Esprit will happen someday.

• Like 2

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

"Could the Esprit supercar come back?

I can't divulge any future plans, but in the next six months we will announce some future projects. I am convinced the Esprit is an extremely good brand name."

I said it before that they will begin testing the Esprit this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it, I'm late to the party and I reposted uselessly in the SUV thread! Sorry.

One or two SUV's, a halo car,  and another body type -I'm thinking a luxobarge successor to the Carlton. I'd really like to know how big is the check Lotus will get cause it should be a very healthy number.

It also sound like Lotus is going to make the best of both CMA and SPA, which is not a thing they haven't done before so it should be ok, provided the cars are not clones of Volvos inside and out. 

I've been wondering, with Geely now building a "real" corporation around their brands Volvo, Polestar and now Lotus, how likely is is that we will see Lotus enter Formula E in the near future?

Formula E seems to be the trend for all the carmakers today and the entry barriers are certainly lower than Formula 1. Lotus would bring the great heritage and Geely obviously needs to build brand prestige.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

To trot out an old cliche: “Win on Sunday, sell on Monday”. 

It has always held true and still does. As the most extreme example (and I can’t remember the specific numbers off the top of my head, I’m afraid) but Mercedes spend several hundred million €/$/£s on their F1 programme each year. However, the media exposure that they receive is worth over a billion €/$/£s to the company. Therefore, the expenditure/investment is more than worthwhile. 

Not sure their bean-counters would see it that way! When times are hard for car manufacturers, Motorsport activities are always an easy first cost-cutting target. Also the problem at the very pinnacle of Motorsport is just that: only one team can really win. At the moment it's Mercedes, but if they start taking a regular beating from others and the Board get worried, they will also throw their toys out of the pram, walk away and claim that they have nothing more to prove. They all do it.

Mercedes has already announced it will pull out of DTM from next year, for the first time since anyone can remember. I am sure it is only due to their stated Formula E involvement and just a coincidence that their DTM teams were getting consistently beaten by Audi in 2017....

• Like 1

Plus who really buys a car due to motorsport performances?

The only motorsport I really watch is F1, I love mercedes and everything they are achieving in the sport but do I want to buy a merc? No, not even a little bit. On the other hand Mclaren are performing horrifically in F1 but do I currently want to buy a Mclaren road car? Yes, Yes I do. And lamborghini dont even take part in any motorsport I watch and id buy one of those too if I could afford one.

Edited by Crouchy
  • Like 2

I'll agree with everyone that F1 would be ridiculous for Lotus /Geely. But Formula E seems to be the future, its inovative, competitive and much cheaper.

Also the big playeers are just preparing to enter (including Mercedes), so you'll be seeing a lot more of Formula E on TV.

They already seem to know how to crash in best Lotus tradition:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Not sure their bean-counters would see it that way! 

It was the strategy that the Mercedes board used to justify their F1 spend to their bean-counters. The exposure all ads up - Mercedes has just had several ‘below the line’ references in this thread alone. Other advertisers would also happily pay for that exposure. 

Here’s the original article: https://www.grandprix247.com/2016/01/13/wolff-says-exposure-from-f1-worth-3-billion-to-mercedes/

(That sort of spend vs the exposure = ‘a no brainer’). 

• Like 1

I don’t want to buy a Merc either but I respect them more since they started dominating F1 compared to how I felt about them as plucky challengers. McLaren and Williams have enough respect in the bank to survive a few years mid-pack. Simply being involved at the elite level of motorsport is considered an achievement much like finishing Le Mans.

Given the choice between an Audi, BMW or Merc estate I’d say I’m more likely to consider the Merc now than before they started  winning in F1. Its about positioning, not making people buy cars they didn’t want.

I think GT racing and ideally Le Mans would be great and relevant for Lotus to compete in.

Isn't Formula E just a generic chassis and battery common to all teams? As I see it, the only real vehicle manufacturer input seems to be in the power-train, which really isn't very interesting to most punters. If they actually made their own cars, it might be different, but then the costs would go up....

6 hours ago, NedaSay said:

I also believe that Lotus should race its "products" and not its "brand".  We've had enough useless brand racing in the past few years in F1 and it has done very little for Lotus.

Its true that it didnt work for Lotus but that was because the team was not successful, not because of racing a brand.

Racing the brand works very well for Mercedes. They bought the Brawn team and Ilmor Engines and renamed them, to great effect.