Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 65 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Not quite understanding the bit about new car being on sale - does he just mean it’s a show car only, or that it’ll be sold much later than end of next year?

^^I do think that Lotus and a few others are bracing for a Brexit No-deal and lengthier homologation processes... That is just me reading signs in the sky though.

Under JMG, the car was supposed to show up in the dealerships in 2020, so the change of CEO coincides with a few months delay. Not surprizing considering JMG's plan was to get a new Exige out on the VVA-Evo platform and by the sound of things, we are set to get a new Evora on the same VVA-Evo.

So introduction possibly at the LA Autoshow in November next year and released in February  2021 or thereabout... It could be a global release (with North America getting the car at the same time as Europe and the rest of the world) which would be a first for Lotus but considering they can just use all of the Geely R&D centres and have a lot more money, it should now possible for lotus to deal with a dual homologation process at once.

Geely win first time out with Lynk and Co at the WTCC against the best in the world, you have to admire the conviction they put into every thing they do.https://www.fiawtcr.com/cyan-racing-develops-road-version-of-lynk-car-wtcr-challenger/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Conviction + financial, technical and human resources...

3 of the 4 drivers have one in total no less than 8 WTCC titles.

Isn't that the way to win?  Even Chapman and Lotus used some of the best drivers in the world!  The winning formula is as you said, but it starts with the vision, resources and determination to get to where you need to be.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

A fool and his money were easily parted there me thinks. That guy in the video obviously had not done any real research before buying a car that obviously isn't for him. Bonkers.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The New Owner video is interesting though as it gives an idea of what the non enthusiast, potential Lotus owner is looking for in a car. I fully agree that none of his points would be of any issue at all to me, but were clearly of issue to him. He seemed to be the sort of guy who wants to make an impression with his car, not actually enjoy driving it. That said, if Lotus want to have a wider appeal, they really should have a less performance, more luxury model in their range. The Add lightness thing can also look a lot like add cheapness in some cases. For the US market, and many others, lotus need a proper GT version of the Evora, not everyone wants to be fast and furious or a track day king.

38 minutes ago, Breeze said:

The New Owner video is interesting though as it gives an idea of what the non enthusiast, potential Lotus owner is looking for in a car. I fully agree that none of his points would be of any issue at all to me, but were clearly of issue to him. He seemed to be the sort of guy who wants to make an impression with his car, not actually enjoy driving it. That said, if Lotus want to have a wider appeal, they really should have a less performance, more luxury model in their range. The Add lightness thing can also look a lot like add cheapness in some cases. For the US market, and many others, lotus need a proper GT version of the Evora, not everyone wants to be fast and furious or a track day king.

You have summed what I was thinking. Car design is a compromise but as Enthusiasts our acceptance is different the, that looks different I’ll buy one market expecting that it will have all the bells and whistles of the average luxury barge.

There is a new era coming and yes it will apeal to cup holder brigade, but I am happy with out one. 

Did this US customer buy the car sight unseen, with no prior testing and no discussion with his dealer??? Why didn't he get a classic 400 with the glass lid that is still available...  The comments about dropping his car at a "port" for a 2/3 week period is mindboggling. Would any of you guys leave his pride and joy and arguably second car at a carpark for that long? 

Anyway by the sound of it the next Lotus model shall satisfy the likes of him.

In the meantime I found a 2010 aquamarine... lucky for me my wallet says no but my brain is so full of yes and YOLO.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

^^^other than wallet there's just another thing that leads me to think that as of this very minute the Evora is not quite the investment I should do:

It's called Canada... I need Lotus to bring the AWD SUV stat... I'm tired of this shit. This above is pretty much the exact same view i see from my home office window, we are set for a glorious 10 to 15cm of snow today and we are the 9th of april 😩

Edited by NedaSay

A factory for Lotus products and other high end Geely products... Volvo, Polestar, Lynk & Co, and Geely's Emgrand sub brand are to be made there... with a 150,000 vehicles per annum capacity.

Maybe one day, much farther into the future, this factory will be fully dedicated to Lotus' future range of SUVs and sedans ... We can only wish. 

12 hours ago, NedaSay said:

A factory for Lotus products and other high end Geely products... Volvo, Polestar, Lynk & Co, and Geely's Emgrand sub brand are to be made there... with a 150,000 vehicles per annum capacity.

Maybe one day, much farther into the future, this factory will be fully dedicated to Lotus' future range of SUVs and sedans ... We can only wish. 

If Lotus is building 150,000 cars a year in the future then there is a real chance I will not be in a Lotus. Be careful what we wish for...

• Like 1

The small print.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

If that's the case then he has plenty of other options outside of a LOTUS to buy - a Corvette, a 911, a muscle car, an Ooodi etc.  So are you saying that in order to be successful LOTUS just needs to build a car like everyone elses?  I like the fact that LOTUS is not like everyone elses car, it is what makes the brand appealing to me.  It seems to me that the sooner anondyne, bland, lifeless, driverless cars come to the mass market the better as a lot of people just want to choose the number of cup holders and colour and don't give a hoot about uniqueness and driver involvement etc. It might sound a bit of an extreme view, but I do feel that we are moving towards the end of motoring for pleasure and enjoyment, and more about motoring for the purpose of transport only.  I know I am in the minority but if Lotus morphs into Porsche then I might as well go and buy a real Porsche rather than an imitation. I just think in this instance the guy bought a car that he knew nothing about, had not researched, and by the sound of it had not even properly test driven. As i said, a fool and his money were easily parted, and I'd blame the fool for outcome as opposed to the manufacturer of the car :)

Na na na, I think you've overdone it here a bit.. In Lotus history they have produced a lot of GT cars (just mention the Espirt here..) an they where anything but andodyne, bland and lifeless.... I also count the Evora S1 (NA and S) to the GT cars when launched.

And someone who buys an Esprit would probably rather not consider a 911... 

But I agree with you on the "exclusivity factor". 😉

For the few who know the difference

I think you missed my point Andrew. I'm not saying that they don't/can't make great GT cars, (like they have in the past too), what i was saying was if the cars of the future are going to be produced at 150,000 units a year, AND be just like everyone elses (which the Esprit, Eclat, Elite etc were not in their time - the Esprit was way way ahead and better than the 308/328 for instance and what really compared to an Eclat?)  then they will not likely be for me.

It's the same reason why i would not buy a Nissan GTR, Audi R8, BMW M8 coupe etc. They are no doubt fast and capable cars, but they are just too "corporate" and look like every other one of their brethren in the garage.  

I bought my Evora (2nd one now) precisely because it was not a Porsche, Audi, Merc, BMW wannabe or look alike. I bought into the history of the brand, the exclusivity, the driving experience. I know progress mean things change, but if Lotus just becomes another mass market car, then I'll look somewhere else for my next car in the future, or, probably more likely, stay with the brand but go old and get an Esprit turbo or a clean Esprit S1!

• Like 1

The small print.

22 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

probably more likely, stay with the brand but go old and get an Esprit turbo or a clean Esprit S1!

Very good plan.. 😉

Either that or just maybe the new Esprit...

The plan for a Lotus SUV (or the even worse SUV Coupes) is for me already something that could drive me away from the brand... 

Hope they reconsider... The Alpine A110 showed it is possible... Let's wait and see

• Like 2
For the few who know the difference

It is possible for Renault to do the Alpine A110 because they sell shit loads of Koleos and hatches... if Lotus ever gets to produce 150,000 per annum - I may ber long dead by then - I hope they will remain true to the ethos brought by the founder of the company. Hopefully being part of a group which does have the legs to carry it forward before it can fully stands and run on its own  really allows them to develop manufacture and deliver cars that are in tune with said ethos. I guess the new car will be a first sign of positive things to come...

• Like 1