Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SOUP - My new series about my Series 2 - Page 7 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SOUP - My new series about my Series 2

@Bibs I'm sure Hofmanns don't want some randomer in rubbing himself against their machines. :geek: 

Ant don't start making me jealous, I'm so far from where you're at. Btw I hear Transit UJ's have nipples on the outside too :lol:

PS:  I'd say the money is just resting in my account, but it's generally a case of "Patreon just sent you a lodgement.... aaaaaaaand it's gone".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lads in E.18 Ian Harben says that the exhaust on the Esprit sheared where it meets the manifold. Was this a thing? I can't remember if I've heard of that before and that possibly that there were no flex joints in the original exhaust systems. Got any intel on the matter?

Edit; this is the part of the interview.

George i presume he means the exhaust manifold flange,   The esprit comprises of exhaust manifold,  steel downpipe section and the  back box itself.

of memery it was 3 studs in the exhaust manifold ,  with a metal gaskets for the flange, then you bolt the centre exhaust section staright up to this,  I presume he means the studs have snapped off due to corrosion.  In hich case,  plenty of heat, and try and remove or just grind straight of to flat surface an redrill and tap and fit new studs. :)   

Bad news though if manifold is in situ as the 3 studs are a bugger to get at angle wise,  you could try just drilling straight through if you can get a drill in, then use a nut and bolt to hold,  but manifold removal is better for repair,  but that said, the manifold is normally a basxxrd to remove also due to rusted nuts and threads :cry:

A

No mate he meant back in the day when the car was still relatively new. The exhaust section between the manifold flange and the box sheared off the flange [downpipe side] at the manifold flange, from repetitive force rather than degradation. I've edited the original post to include the bit where Ian talks about it. I'm wondering whether this was because the system from the factory didn't have a flexible section to allow for movement. The system now on the car does. 

1 minute ago, GTK said:

No mate he meant back in the day when the car was still relatively new. The exhaust section between the manifold flange and the box sheared off the flange [downpipe side] at the manifold flange, from repetitive force rather than degradation. I've edited the original post to include the bit where Ian talks about it. I'm wondering whether this was because the system from the factory didn't have a flexible section to allow for movement. The system now on the car does. 

i do not think it had a flexi joint from what i remember,  in all honesty it did not need one,  as everything exhaust wise hangs of the engine and gearbox,  so the exhaust is not affected by movement etc that much,  i.e not like a normal car where it runs underneath the car and is affected by engine vs body movement etc. 

I would presume that the studs may of been a poorly cast batch,  or the nuts at the factory had been way overtightned and once warm the studs snapped due to the heat  :)

A

Who knows! It's all as it should be at the moment, but I'd like to change it all out for a tubular long branch manifold with a decent collector anyway. Lot of weight in that old cast manifold ;)

• Like 1

Well done George! Always nice to Watch your episodes. Somehow they seem much more relevant to anyone who like to drive or Work on a car, than the muppetshow called topgear et al. Not dishing them, but this is so much more fun to Watch. And I like the low profile of it all.

Keep on!

Jacques

• Thanks 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Another great episode George :)

• Thanks 1

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

The ones on the French side are great but that was a different story. Let's do a SOUP/TLF Cannonball. You have to have a Lotus, no changes of clothes and beer tokens. Just need to wait a few months to sort out that first thing please :blush:

• Haha 1

Very entertaining as ever. Just one thing: until you get your second microphone, can you always subtitle your interview questions? You did this with the track-day interview, but not with the Lotus Excel owner. Even putting my tablet to my ear I could barely make out what you were asking him, so it was kind of like having to guess what he was talking about. Keep up the good work. By the way, whereabouts in Greece are you?

+1 to the suggestion above.

It keeps getting better. The start of this last episode was brilliant and I almost felt I was removing the rear axle of the RR myself. Without the sweating and swearing. Oh, I would keep the “Pi rally” sticker on the van.

Yeah things fell off a little there with the question cards in between interview segments. There's so much in the edit that it's quite often I see an episode once it's live and think 'ah crap you forgot to...." about some bit of housekeeping, technicality or concept I missed. The good news is the second mic is on it's way. There'll be a few more interviews without it because I've already shot them but I'll put the questions in as text best I can. 

The stickers are a fav for sure, there were really cool Goodyear ones at the top of the side glass too before it was smashed. The van will be sanded back but I've a lead on where to get the Pirelli [rally] stickers.

PS I move around a bit but the van is on the east coast of the Peloponnesos, about 40mins south of Nafplio. I drove up to Korinthos today to shoot an intro for episode 21. Looking forward to that one, light was tricky though so I'm hoping I got what I went for. No second chances for at least a couple of months.

Thanks for the feedback gents. Don't forget to hit 'like' - or dislike if you like, know what I mean like? :) 

Edit: and not looking forward to going back to Siberia, sorry... Ireland. I hear people started looting :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Haha the Old Spice ads were classic too, surfing to the tune of O Fortuna and hilarious voice over.... "you'll become yourself", "the mark of a man." Couple of dabs and you think so this is who I am?

It's magazine style because no one really does that anymore and with the way Youtube is these days 'no one watches the full thing', I thought it fits. Would love there to be a 'reason why' box for dislikes though - for quality control. Even if it was 'cause your face'. I just noticed someone like E21, then change their mind and dislike it :lol: I'm so curious.