Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4 fuel smell on full boost - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 fuel smell on full boost

• Gold FFM

Righto chaps - suggestions please.

when gunning hard and on full boost with the sunroof open - I get a fuel smell that's noticeable.

the link pipe has been changed

It's never there any other time - only on full boost........ charcoal canister pipe ??

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah. I had that drove me nuts, found the old surgical tubing cracked and failed right at the filler ports. Literally where they attach to the filler ports is where I had the problem under high power. Used to have a photo. But if you stick your head in and crane your neck around, you'll see it.

You need to replace ALL the surgical tubing. Folks often forget the stuff in the sail panels (to the rollover valve and fillers) and down by the charcoal canister (RR side of the engine bay, UNDER the header tanks where you can't see them).

Don't lose the restrictor plugs in some of the tubing.

As a further measure to prevent engine bay smells from coming into the cabin, I installed gaskets on the seatbelt reel covers! :P

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

All the clear horrible tubing on the up and over has long since been replaced..... 

I will get the boot floor out and have a look at everything else this week

Only here once

Hi,
As for that tubing, what is the best source to replace it? I need to change it, too: it's split in two halves ... I have read somewhere that its diameter is not that easy to find (non standard respective inner/outer diameters?)
I suppose there might be a better alternative than just buying the original part that is not petrol resistant? :D

You want Tygon tubing. In the USA that is available from McMaster-Carr...don't know if they sell internationally or there is a European equivalent.

You can use fuel line, but then you run into the issues with wall thickness and flexibility. 

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I used to work for Saint Gobain in Belgium, producing non-rubber seals. Mostly automotive, including Renault F1. Never knew they did tubing as well!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.