Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Norfolk mustard S4 - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk mustard S4

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Spoke too soon about the good oil coolers as one had some damp around the lower union, drivers side. No point worrying if or when it's gonna let go so new one ordered from PNM. Lower union soaking in caustic as we speak. The top union had welded itself to the locking nut in the front void so I had to get physical with it..

On a brighter note having re stripped the front bumper again and redesigned the captive plates the front looks far better. 

Special thanks to SJ who mirthfully put the spade connectors the wrong way round on the pressure sensor. An hour of confusion at massive oil pressure solved with a swap round. In all seriousness I’ve read a lot on the forums about recent issues with parts from SJ. I hope this isn’t going to become a theme as it can be easy to become complacent when you have market share of something and I would hate it to affect SJs reputation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work on the seats and overall really. How people let cars like this get into such a state is a mystery. The S4 was the last model that seemed to go through this cycle of abuse, I think after that people realised they were classics in the making and most were generally a bit better looked after from new.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I don't know what year your S4 is Shaun, but when I was getting tucked in to redoing mine I seem to recall that the leather had a surface coating on it. I think Bibs alerted me to that, but can't be sure. Anyway, looks like you've done a very good job, there!

Margate Exotics.

Thanks Ian. Mine was very porous, no sealant to speak of. It had been wiped over with really thick coats of black dye so I was amazed how light raven grey was.it was darkened once the leather food was applied however. I also use a hot air gun and warm the area before and after spraying. That allows for a diluted thin coat to be flashed off in seconds ready for another coat.  

Nice steady weekend this week balancing time with the family and pulling in a few less stressful jobs after the bumper/oil cooler marathon.

finished wiring in the rear tweeters for the rear infinity components. Put them to the outside of the seatbelt appatures on the rear screen surround. One of the few changes I wanted to do from standard but I do like my audio and even without the amp (yet to be installed) the sound quality is much improved. Photos to follow in due course.

commenced fitting of the alarm immobiliser. Car is now immobilised and alarmed but struggling to get the c/locking to function by using the wiring for the door harness. Will try with the CDL controller in due course.

cleaned the IACV. Wow what a difference! Tick over far lower now. Seems to be running less rich at cold start and generally far better mannered. Still occasionally chucks a hissy fit so have ordered a replacement from rock auto.

Had a few hours mending the under bonnet covers which had cracked quite badly through stress and age with this stuff

30FEBFC7-02A8-477E-9270-8E5B76216308.jpeg

If you’ve never used it before I can recommend it hugely. It wiped the floor with aryldite and sets in 7 seconds dead. Can be sanded drilled and painted if need be.

Someone else’s turn to get their hands oily today. Big thanks go to Gav at Unit 4 Lotus in Burton on Trent. Cam belt change and front bearing repack. Gav obviously knows  these Older cars well as he was workshop foreman for Peter Smiths for a good few years. Also deals with the latest motors as can be seen. Turned the job round in the day and very reasonably priced. A good chat and some pointers later I left for the very rainy trip back home. New wiper required! 

29737372-6C3A-47C5-B44D-9505BF641525.jpeg

65BAC9DC-093A-4DC0-8D9B-531D62C6DCA3.jpeg

5C9A8574-BBE2-4D93-801F-870996077B5B.jpeg

• Like 1

Spent a few hours trying to sort the remote central locking today. Still getting multiple lock unlock when I press the buttons on the fob.i have noticed that if I try to lock my passenger door with the key it cycles lock unlock. Is this normal or could this be compounding my problems?

Also noticed today that I have no inner gearstick gaiter. Should an S4 and if so is it the GT6 one?

any help much appr3ciated.

Shaun.

• Gold FFM

Might be worth linking out that motor in the passenger door and retrying.

im sure the wiring goes via both door motors - with switch wires in each. If you have a bad motor/switch/actuator you can get this issue. Might just be a bad contact - and hour with a multimeter and the wiring diagram will solve this

Only here once

Had a squint at Mr Oogieboogies S4 today and confirmed it does need a gaiter.

also realised I am missing a number of heat shields around the cat area and that I deffo need to get my new idle control valve in.

A bit chilly on the driveway tonight so the project went indoors!

one of those satisfying yet probably pointless jobs completed with the help of daughter who loves cutting and sticking stuff.

A1376111-C236-4BEA-AD68-F3EBEBC48D6C.jpeg

Bling bling!

Speaking of bling I’m not sure about Wayne’s ring. Would have to see one in the flesh.

• Like 1