Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Norfolk mustard S4 - Page 15 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk mustard S4

Block back together, feel like I’ve bought shares in the anaerobic sealant and lube industry. The latter came in handy when paying for the bearings 😂

oil pump machined to minimum tolerance and flywheel collected. 
Shimming shall commence early next week. Things are taking sooo long to be delivered however it might be Christmas before we see tarmac.

took advantage of the rain stopping play today to repair this little Monkey  

ACCBB0DE-D4FB-468E-B9B4-BE7104CFDA16.jpeg

29EB0230-B995-438F-B9AF-7B0CEE96FA60.jpeg

Reminds me of a girl I once knew. ‘She aint pretty but she sure is strong!’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

More ancillaries bolted on this afternoon along with the turbo. 

Shimming went well, exhaust cam all mid tolerance. Inlet cam has two tight clearances, one each on cyls 3 and 4. Will get them calculated and ordered tomorrow morning. 

Awaiting a delivery of hoses and various entrantilments to conclude the engine bay work.

Jacknut tool has also arrived so new fastenings will adorn the boot floor in the very near future. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had an interesting few days repairing a LHD T25 'vanagon' which was imported by a couple of teacher friends who spent some time aid teaching in Uzbekistan and it was their daily transport there. The amount of 'hacks' for want of a better word were many and equally as ingenious as dangerous 😄.

24 faults and major MOT failures sorted including Earths, fuse box hanging out and secured by tie wraps, whole of heater system trunking missing, massive air locks in cooling system which in itself was made entirely of non-VW components, door handles inop and hanging out, rear light units broken and held in with electrical tape, no instruments, interior lights etc etc.

Amazingly satisfying just putting things right and freeing up sliders on doors, seat runners etc.

Also full fluid swaps on both of our Cayennes including transmission, transfer box and diffs.

Didn't waste the entire week though. Esprits engine and box mated with new clutch, All belts on and timed. awaiting engine hoist next week to pop the sucker back in!

After that im off for our annual Christmas Market trip..... for 2 weeks in Miami and Southern Carribean. Guess im not getting any Bratwurst and Gloggi this year. 

Still determined to have her fired up and useable by Christmas though.

• Like 2

Morning Barry and Bibs.

Quick question you may be able (or anyone else if viewing) to help with.

On reaffixing the rigid fuel pipe to the injector rail i have notice it doesn't cinch the pipe fully. There is an O-ring in place but you can definitely move the pipe within the flange nut. Is this normal or am i missing something. The diags just say 'O-ring kit'

• Gold FFM

I replaced mine with an O ring from Pirtek. Just make sure it’s on for petrol applications.

Once tight - the pipe should be rigid - that’s what the loop is for to take out the flex of the engine on the mounts,

• Like 1

Only here once

• 8 months later...

My new favourite tool. A great ‘long term borrow’

IMG_4882.jpeg

Absolute piece of cake to use and no mess anywhere 👍👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Yep - that’s normal. 
as per the workshop manual. 1 bar per 1000rpm is typical 

Its far from normal with my car. It used to sit just below the end of the red section and the tell tale flickered when you blipped the throttle.

• Like 1

I did Barry but I have an errant connector. Obv all throttle jack components have been removed but I’m still left with this cable, tag fell off during storage/refit and I’m buggered if I know where it goes. 

IMG_4903.jpeg

Yellow with brown trace and a black. Car is throwing a check light but assuming that will be until I can get on a free scan/espritmon to set up throttle cable/TPS/AICV relationship. (My cable that cost a fair few quid gave up after a few weeks use)

• Gold FFM

Is that the connector for the vac solenoid for the throttle jack?? If so - it will throw a light if it’s not seeing about 20ohms across it

Only here once

If you get stuck, I’ve got mine in bits at the moment, so can have a look tomorrow.

I did notice the threaded hole for the MAP tube is plugged, I believe there should be a barbed, nylon, connector in there with the tube to the sensor.

Margate Exotics.

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

If you get stuck, I’ve got mine in bits at the moment, so can have a look tomorrow.

I did notice the threaded hole for the MAP tube is plugged, I believe there should be a barbed, nylon, connector in there with the tube to the sensor.

It’s on the other side of the inlet on early S4 👍

1 minute ago, Clarky5150 said:

It’s on the other side of the inlet on early S4 👍

IMG_4909.jpeg

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Is that the connector for the vac solenoid for the throttle jack?? If so - it will throw a light if it’s not seeing about 20ohms across it

Ahh interesting. The old solenoid was in place prior to rebuild but i removed it as it was just blanked off! Ill try a reinstall and plug that sucker in to it.

Plugged back in but still error. That wasnt the cable btw, that one is black with a green,red trace.

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Just wondering - is that plug for the engine coolant temperature sensor? The bloody awkward one that's hidden by the inlet manifold?

Oooh Ian, you could be right!!! 

Screenshot 2023-08-12 193754.png

Good news about the plug, and an easy one to miss as you can't see the sensor.

I'm tucked into throttle body balancing, something I should have done after the engine rebuild, but kept putting it off as the engine was running so well. So, no doubt it'll be like a 3-legged donkey when I've finished. And I've just discovered the gaskets required for the job I thought I had in stock are nowhere to be seen, so it's off to a good start.

Margate Exotics.

300 miles on her now and running great.

Went through various fastenings Yesterday and also traced my intermittent headlight pod raise for flash to the relay. Followed Swindon Alans walkthrough and installed a type B Relay so works perfectly with no delay. Hold stalk back and wiggle to flash is actually better than the pods staying raised.

My mechanic and race team tech friend (mentioned in the very first line of this blog) was treated to a ride yesterday. He agrees that the refresh along with the standard exhaust set up has transformed the car. Hopefully will get access to the garage pit this weekend for refit of the under tray and adjustment of the front dampers. I love the look of the stance however the pause from use has made me realise just how 'crashy' the set up is. 

All bushings are good so I need some more preload on the springs (currently have little or none) and soften the dampers a notch.

Had also forgot how much attention the car gets!!

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 15:12, Chillidoggy said:

Good news about the plug, and an easy one to miss as you can't see the sensor.

I'm tucked into throttle body balancing, something I should have done after the engine rebuild, but kept putting it off as the engine was running so well. So, no doubt it'll be like a 3-legged donkey when I've finished. And I've just discovered the gaskets required for the job I thought I had in stock are nowhere to be seen, so it's off to a good start.

'If it aint broke......'