Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Norfolk mustard S4 - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk mustard S4

71f1q4h3eJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Jack nut

Rivnuts are much more of a pain to seat.

m10-rivet-nut-a2-stainless-29955-p.jpg

I assume they are called Jack nut as they collapse like a scissor jack. Can of worms opened??

No idea why they’re called that!

Rivnuts are a piece of cake to fit if they’re alloy, but the stainless steel ones are a pain, sadly that’s all I had in stock at the time.

Margate Exotics.

• 4 months later...

Ive found it mostly amusing myself. Engine out and on trolley single handed in 38 minutes. Not bad for a first time. I recon i could crack 20 now i know what im doing!

• 5 months later...

Tick over has been tamed. Big thanks to sailorbob for giving me an afternoon of his valuable time to nail down the offending issue. Turns out it ‘may’ have been self inflicted while trying to chase down other niggles. Either way tickover is now playing ball again so a steady list of jobs can commence with the target to be a return to the road for the full April unwind. Just a quick spin round the block brought a huge smile to my face 👍

• Like 2

Looks like the many perished hoses, gaskets and elbows that I replaced chasing down the high tickover would have solved it..... had I not also had a fiddle with the idle screw part way through replacing stuff.... I’ll get my coat.

I know Barry, I know. NEVER TOUCH THE SCREW!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Following on from the success of taming the tick over Sunday will involve an annual service. 

Its also time to renew the brake fluid. I do get an intermittent ABS light blink to which i thought i would dedicate a few hours trying to resolve with a full bleed following the Delco Moraine walk through. 

I know the braking system on the S4 is unloved and leaves something to be desired but given the option i would rather keep its originality.

Continual problems down the line may seek me to entertain an ABS delete but not at this stage.

I might even take some pictures...

I can just feel it with my finger ends. Is this the 'outboard' nipple as described and is there a secret to doing it?

• Gold FFM

The triple jointed midget is the secret.

failing that - get that tree out the way and fiddle some pipe down there and slip over the nipple and simply struggle and swear.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

That one was a right game to get at. Took my knuckles several days to forgive me after that job.

Getting a spanner on it was relatively simple, it was getting the bleed hose in there that I found more of a challenge.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Ill make sure i have my selection of implements handy. Its going to be a full day with coolant flush also so i best get a few bottles of tonic in 

New MOT this morning with only an advisory for a rigid brake line which ill swap this week.

Treated the car to a set of nice sticky rubber for the rear. The old tyres still had 6mm of tread but had gone off over time so i though i may as well go for something that wears a bit quicker and still will probably never get near the wear markers before they expire.

See the source image

The Exige lads seem to like em.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Quarterly check in. Been using the car a few days a week since the MOT. Running better than ever!

Nothing really to report other than the headlight flash has become intermittent (relay I'm guessing as normal usage remains unaffected) and although still functioning the air con isn't cooling at 100% so will need a little top up.

Had a nice little care package arrive from SJ that i forgot i had ordered (back order parts).

Car now sports the nice Lotus design badges on the front wings, a lid to the fuse box and new caps for the cooling system.

My main concern now is the nice lady along the road who has allowed me to use her garage over past Winters has evicted me for her grandson's work van.

The Beetle currently resides in a garage in the locale which could take another 3 cars (but full of stuff) and sits on its own plot. The elderly Gentleman who owns the garage refuses to take payment for me using it but also wont entertain selling it.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...