Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Norfolk mustard S4 - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Norfolk mustard S4

• Gold FFM

I was too busy quivering behind a wheelie bin in case it got exciting.

the front springs are considerably longer than the rears..... and they need to be squashed to a stupid degree to assemble.

you need to do this with a floor mounted hydraulic spring compressor - and preferably get someone else to do it ?

Only here once

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I was too busy quivering behind a wheelie bin in case it got exciting.

the front springs are considerably longer than the rears..... and they need to be squashed to a stupid degree to assemble.

you need to do this with a floor mounted hydraulic spring compressor - and preferably get someone else to do it ?

I hear you.

I’ve had springs come off the compressors on a couple of occasions and shoot across the garage at a great rate of knots, frightened the shit out of me. I ended up using four compressors in the end, but it’s still a risky business without a proper machine. I’m not looking forward to this, fuel tank balance pipe removal is a piece of piss by comparison.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

And here’s a tip for you. When siphoning the tanks - jack the passenger side up a load - there was next to no fuel in my balance pipe after doing that.

i am honestly not lying - I was stunned how little was left - get that ns wheel 8” off the ground

Only here once

Changed plenty of springs in the past. Yes they are long goddam springs. It took 2 of us to get the top nuts on so not looking forward to disassembly to put the aftermarket ones on. Will get the rear height set properly and see how she looks.

Snow halts play unfortunately. Had a chance however to start setting up the shocks. Rear now about right on near side. Off side still low. Took her for an extended bedding in run today. One really good positive of the new dampers is the braking is now very good. 80 to zero pulls straight and true and stops really well. Unbelievable really to say most people hate the delco system.

• Gold FFM

Pretty much.  Driver mass takes its toll over the years.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Clarky5150 said:

To get the rear to sit evenly I've had to wind the off side damper up another 15mm compared to the near side. Is this normal?

Are both fuel tanks in use ??? Or has someone blocked one off

Only here once

Nope both in use. Original springs so one may have sagged more over time I guess. Don't think any more work will get done till post Christmas now.

• 4 weeks later...

Washed and dried 'Damien' today. I might have to rename the car now because now the suspension is about dialled in and geo something like an amazing transformation has occurred. The car no longer wants to kill me every time I take a bend! 

Big thanks to Sailor Bob who came over today and ran his technical eye over the car. A clean bill of health in the diagnostic department save for one thing.

my Lambda sensor seems to have a lazy lob!

at cruising speeds the graph spikes and dips as expected but at tick over my 'pulse' slows considerably. Maybe good for an athlete but not normal it seems for an Esprit.

The general consensus is an aged O2 sensor. Anyone else had similar?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

O2 sensors don’t last forever and are known to do very strange things.

make sure if you do swap it - you don’t buy a rubbish cheapo thing. You need a decent brand one

Only here once

I think ive found a suitable replacement on Alibaba Barry.

Is 'The Hammamatsu Lawn Mower and  Dangerous Toy Company' a decent brand or should I go for one of them BOSCH jobbies??

• 2 weeks later...

Very little progress due to the first proper winter we have had for a few years. 

Managed to test fit Petes spare O2 sensor and there seems to be some improvement. Less pops and bangs on the overrun and generally smoother all round. New Bosch sensor en route. Still have the mystery hiccup at tickover and still hesitant when started from cold. Coil pack next on the list. 

You may recall me mentioning the loose O2 sensor when I first bought the car which I duly tightened up. Having removed it fully now I got chance to inspect it.... Guess it had been loose some time prior to my ownership...and fitted with a hammer and chisel!

IMG_0003.JPG

Tad of ceramic grease to aid fitting of replacement.

IMG_0002.JPG

• Gold FFM

Run your hands down the leads - my old ones had a spark breaking out that contributed to a slight splutter. I never noticed it - my buddy did when we were fettling with something manifold like prior to pulling the lump

Only here once

Interesting Barry. I used to have an XR3i back in the day and when the rammle motorcraft leads went bad you could see the spark tracking down the wire at night. Looked great and made me think how cool a mod it would be to have clear spark lead sheaths....... I was young and it was 1987.

• Haha 1