Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

I’ve been searching for what I thought was a detailed forum post on the subject of release bearings, sadly I cannot find it. So it must have been PMs or something.

From my memory bank, the S4s uses a different, very hard steel flywheel, clutch cover and release bearing than that of the S4. I think it’s the S300 complete assembly. The S4s release bearing is seriously expensive (used to be £300 if you could get one) and has a carrier assembly like your photo, but it can be disassembled, and you can buy the bearing itself separately if you have the part number.

The option I chose was to have an S4s flywheel reground, and drilled to suit an S4 clutch pressure plate (the S4s pressure plate has different hole spacings). Then PNM supplied an unrated S4 clutch and I use the standard S4 release bearing. If I need another clutch at any time, it’s a rather more simple (and cheaper) replacement, and I’ve not had any problems with the set up taking the torque. After 7,000 miles, it’s still like new.

If you want to retain the S4s assembly, I think you will need to use whatever is specified,, as I have a suspicion that they bolt up different height-wise than the S4 plates. The only thing that might be common is the driven plate.

The parts manual lists all the different S4/S4s/S300 clutch bits, so have a look at that first.

If that isn’t clear, give me a ring.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Bearing has 223pa ina 04 written on it. Now available on sj website as an assembly - but it’s not that cost effective.

so just the bearing and them bolts to sort now @Chillidoggy

Only here once

Wont something like this do te job for less than £2:00 for 10?  Pretty high tensile too, so these will be more like parmesam than brie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/m3-4-5-6-8mm-socket-button-dome-head-black-10-9-high-tensile-steel-bolts-screws/251302645028?hash=item3a82ce0d24:m:mYaEh1BGiULj5eSmX0r2KGw

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

More rummaging and sorting this morning.

i now have a heap of bits to powdercoat red. Just waiting for the stripper to finish off

No wonder you spend so much time in the garage if you've got a stripper helping out! ? ? 

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Do you want me to research this Barry, or does Ian (or someone else) know?

Please chap - I’ll go and get it in the house and see if there’s any other marks on it

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Other side has 218pa ino4 written on the seal.

the rest is pretty rusty and horrible - I can’t see any numbers on it

i haven’t got my verynear to hand - with a tape it’s about 

62mm across the outer

37mm hole in the middle

14mm bigger outer band height

21mm overall heightF3487D88-EAE6-4F39-81C1-24D78B981488.thumb.jpeg.83ce75871fe23d811d79769eab2b73a6.jpeg

Also thanks to @Chillidoggy - crankseal plate torqued up ready to fit the flywheel and clutch on tomorrow morning 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

It really really doesn’t look like an insert....my first thoughts were exactly that.

looking on Ino website - they make bearing this shape. I need to get it to a bear8ng shop for them to poke

8 hours ago, sailorbob said:

There is a spacer fitted to the inside of the original bearing that needs swapping over to the new bearing.

I’ll get it looked at before I smash it in the press. It really does look like one piece more than happy to be proved wrong

Only here once

Found it in a PM.

The S4s release bearing uses a bog-standard SKF (or equivalent) bearing, it simply needs to be disassembled and reassembled with all the carrier bits and bobs. And the centre can be pressed out, it's a spacer. You will need to read off the bearing numbers from the outer race, not the rubber seal if you haven't already got a new one.

The S4 release bearing IS a special, mine was a Turkish-made ORS 600407.

The flywheel patterns are the same, but the clutch cover drillings are different so you cannot mix and match the clutches. you either stick with the S4s, or do what I did and re-drill the flywheel which then gives you the option of fitting either an S4s or S4 clutch.

Any chance you can stop buying Esprits and move on to something less complicated?

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Any chance you can stop buying Esprits and move on to something less complicated?

Cheers chap - I’ll get it looked at by a bearing place - won’t stop progress.

i started on women - ffs - esprits are less complex 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Few bits done today in between filing, avoiding filing, avoiding work, taking the missus out to dinner and avoiding work again. I’m really gonna have to go back...?

Tank up and over breather pipe fitted. Carpet back on bulkhead.

rivnuts in boot replaced.

fuel filter and cut off switch refitted.

wiring loom retaped and cleaned up.

flywheel and clutch fitted on.

postman has delivered a huge box of fixings. I need to do the sj order and order some gearbox fixing bolts.

that clutch bearing I’m sure doesn’t come apart - that I will get looked at tomorrow 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Plenum gaskets, blue cam belt, tensioner bearing, gearbox mounts, fking clutch release bearing assembly and new iac pipe all ordered today.

cant wait till the stuff comes back from the powder coaters. Pretty much nothing I can do on it the weekend now

Only here once