Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Classic and Sports Car article - Europa - Europa - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Classic and Sports Car article - Europa

DJW

• 2 weeks later...

A short but enjoyable and informative piece.  The Europa was a remarkably good car.  It was, I think, the first production mid-engined car for road use and it's final incarnation, the Special, was indeed special. I am fortunate to have number 63 of the 100 that were built with JPS livery to commemorate Lotus's 50th GP victory and 1972 F1 constructors' title.  I was also fortunate to meet Steve Sanville who developed the Big-Valve twin-cam but for which, Tony Rudd received the credit.  In addition, I had the good fortune to meet Colin Gain, who was central in the adaptation of the Renault 16 gearbox for use in Europas.  In particular, to ensure that the 'box had four forward speeds and one reverse rather than the other way round.  Another piece of trivia is the tube-linkage system for the 352 and 365 gearboxes.  Steering joints were ingeniously included in the mid- and tail-sections of the tube.

• Like 1

I think the Matra Djet beat the Europa to market but the Europa was more-widely available, I believe.

I remember the Motor road test of the Special getting 50 mpg at 50 mph which was pretty impressive in 1972.  Setright also wrote in Car thata it cornered so well that the (mechanically-tuned) radio would go off station!

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

Is it just me or is the rear design, aft of the doors, rather polarising to some people? I have only seen one in real life and I thought from some angles, it looked unusual.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thank you Trevor.  My caution was well placed.  Attached is a picture of Colin "working" on my car.  It was taken in about 1983 as a publicity image for Norvic Racing Engines.  Norvic was headed by the late Steve Sanville and was based at Little Staughton Airfield, just north of Bedford.  Notably, during World war II, the USAAF had a base there.

ColinGainNorvic.jpg

Hi  Edward, great picture .Ref Steve Sanville, Norvic racing Engines, I believe my old dry sump turbo ex race car had  its engine built there .Was meant to be pushing out approx 250 plus bhp .Small world if you google opw679W you will see the car .Love the Europa .   Mike

Great looking little car the europa,  I have always pondered on shortening an esprit chassis and fitting a europa shell by glassing the shell wider in the centre,

Low,fast, great looking and the stance of a beast :)

A

• 1 year later...