Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New 410 musings - Ex Cayman - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New 410 musings - Ex Cayman

jonnyboy

Excellent write up Jon, at least now you know why a few of us on .org moved to the Evora. Look forward to hearing more from you about it in the weeks to come. (And yes, you are right about the audio shortcomings)

For sure yours is in a different league to mine, but it was the need to keep that great steering feel, coupled with more space and an excellent ride, whilst retaining the ability to have exceptional handling which did it for me.

You also have the benefit of enjoying a great car which is no where near as common as those "P" things. Enjoy the attention you will get when you are out in it :thumbsup:

Oh, and don't forget to put some of the Evora doubters on .org right.:)

Congrats, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Glad I didn't bother with the stereo now although the reversing camera would have been quite nice.

Yours might be one of the very last of the original Donato Coco Sport 410s. Future classic! :thumbup:

Great write up indeed. Ex-Boxster guy who can agree on all points, even when compared to the 400.

I thought maybe I had some sub-woofer issues as well or just believing Lotus had absolutely sub-par sound system.  However, after fiddling around with the system, I found that if you move the fade rearward 75% the subwoofer does work. Due to the geometry of the windshield the tweeters do sound too sharp and obnoxious so adjusting it and increasing the mids also helped. In all, it does sound fair. It's not 7 bose speaker good like the Porsche but still passable when needed. Try it let us know what you think. 

Edited by Deuteronomy316

OK thanks I'll have a look at that. Theres a chap on the playground that has done the full stereo swap out so will have a look at what he did. I think if it does come out I'll just hand it over to our local in car audio place see what they can do. 

The car is now in the detailers having a 5 year ceramic coat and PPF. Annoyingly I managed to get a small chip on the leading edge of the front clam so we need to touch that in before the film can go on. 

The the playground full swap out was in an S1, so slightly different setup.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I had similar thoughts about the steering when I moved from my old 350 to present 400, the Evora feels so much more planted on the road, can't comment on track yet, but have got a north Weald day and silverstone this month, and am looking forward to finding out if the same is true there.

For audio this chap http://carhomestereo.co.uk/exotic-evora/ has done a few 400s, I have had a chat and will probably start by upgrading the speakers / tweeters and see how it sounds from there.

2 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

OK thanks I'll have a look at that. Theres a chap on the playground that has done the full stereo swap out so will have a look at what he did. I think if it does come out I'll just hand it over to our local in car audio place see what they can do. 

These should help:

• Like 1

I changed the sound system on my S1. Kept just the head unit but changed amps and speakers all the way through. Morel stuff from the states. It has transformed the sound. 

https://www.morelhifi.com/product-category/car-audio/

The Alpine amps and speakers were the lowest grade made to a price for oem that they make, not at all premium.

One of the things that Lotus were doing was connecting the rear out leads from the HU to the sub and not the sub out leads. Why, I don't know, and whether they are now doing it correctly I also don't know. It may be worth just putting a subby track on and playing with the rear faders.

Cheers Bruss will try that. I think ultimately I will do something similar to JM but it would be nice to get a setup on the existing stuff thats okay to put me on. Probably wont get chance to do anything with it until we get spring out of the way at work. I guess I'll have to put up with the engine sound until then :(  :D

If you do anything with the speakers one of the best upgrades is to get some sound insulation material from an ice installer and create proper acoustic boxes around the speakers, especially the sub woofer in the rear.

• Gold FFM

Although I changed the headunit on my S1 (only because the sat nav function on the OE 'Blackbird' unit was so clunky), I'm not bothering upgrading any of the rest of the system as the best sound quality by far for me comes from here...................................................:D

5aa4191355a2f_Evoraexhaust.jpg.376ce347370e2d66b2f5d85ade989926.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear it’s mostly positive. Hopefully bubble in the decal is a doddle to sort but should be a straight swap out for a new carbon tail gate if the laquer’s not right after 400 miles. Can’t see any grounds for quibbling. I’d be interested to see a pic. Have you only just noticed it?

Spotted it the day after collection when dropping at the detailing place. There are 3 patches like this. I certainly hope it will be sorted without any fuss but again one of those simple things that's just a needless problem really.  

received_1727596917308614.jpeg

Item 11 page 14.05 of the 400 parts book could have been a more useful one, as my phone won’t stay in there, something to investigate me thinks or modify with a non slip pad.FD8C26CB-39A1-4009-971A-AE80623D8993.thumb.png.495925d24aaddd17459e8a6ae71a5e34.pngpad

Edited by au-yt