Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig. - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco-Moraine deletion - production guinea pig.

• Gold FFM

The hammer? Yup, that's a keeper.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Started the day on the front pipes, cut, dress, flare, add unions in preparation for pipes from proportioning valve.

IMAG0425-20180511-175115514.jpg

This is THE tool for pipe flaring.

IMAG0437-20180511-175428500.jpg

Sorted pipes and unions from master, ready to tailor for Proportioning valve once I get the brackets.

IMAG0429-20180511-175215720.jpg

And relocated receiver/drier to the other side of the GRP, to avoid interference with master.  Also need to shift a bank of fuses to accommodate servo.

IMAG0430-20180511-175237904.jpg

Dressed bottom of valve, removing flash that would interfere with banjo seals.

IMAG0428-20180511-175158813.jpg

Changed the tail at front of manifold ready for 3/8 vacuum pipe.  This will provide contingency engine vacuum in the unlikely event of system failure.

IMAG0441-20180511-17544663.jpg

New vacuum pump.  Slightly different to the one Ian used, and will need a different approach to mounting, but I'll work it out.

IMAG0431-20180511-175302611.jpg

Mounting lugs removed to facilitate placement in current vacuum pump recess.

IMAG0432-20180511-175321183.jpg

Boot floor heaven: held in by one bolt, which came out easily.  I can only imagine Bazza's been at it.  Of course that means I'll have to sort it out later.

IMAG0434-20180511-1753449.jpg

Fuse/relay box near battery removed and ignition.switched live feed soldered in (red wire); this will route via engine bay to vacuum pump recess.

IMAG0442-20180511-175504288.jpg

IMAG0444-20180511-175522797.jpg

Also noticed this crushed capillary.  It's the one that feeds the heater controls.  spliced in new capillary.

IMAG0448-20180511-175604174.jpg

IMAG0449-20180511-175622366.jpg

So far so good!  But I'm gagging for those brackets.

Now, pop quiz (if anybody's stuck with this).  Identify the cables (green/white & black, i think) to the left of the red connectors, and what they're powering.

IMAG0436-20180511-175402914.jpg

Edited by Sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Looking bloody amazing. Nice work.

Im currently shopping and ticking bits off. I can’t wait to be doing this on mine.

Only here once

• Gold FFM
54 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Now, pop quiz (if anybody's stuck with this).  Identify the cables (green/white & black, i think) to the left of the red connectors, and what they're powering.

Newly installed W/M/F Exotics direct remote emergency call wiring.

In the event of an emergency the nearest Exotics engineer is automatically called, the system is then cleverly reverse wired back through the fan relay sucking as much hot air back in as possible causing the radiator to boil. On arrival this allows said Exotics engineer to pull bottom hose and enjoy a piping hot cuppa tea and a chat before diagnosing problem.

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

To explain the wiring:  engine idle is erratic and likes 2000RPM.  Exhaust back pressure valve (EBPV) isolated.  Throttle jack (TJ) still present, but TJ solenoid missing.  TJ wiring plugged into EBPV solenoid.  I could see the TJ cam acting on the throttle.  ECU throwing Code 26.  EBPV solenoid wiring is now used to power an electric chargecooler pump.  Lovely.

• Gold FFM

Glorious day for working on the drive!  Today I fitted 6 metres of new 3/8" servo pipe, and found plenty of existing engine vacuum problems.  

IMAG0466-20180515-18411396.jpg

IMAG0472-20180515-183954677.jpg

IMAG0475-20180515-18392360.jpg

T junction branches off to the inlet manifold to provide contingency engine vacuum.

IMAG0470-20180515-184016750.jpg

Ready for routing into the boot.

IMAG0469-20180515-184035522.jpg

I decided not to use the UP5X vacuum pump, opting instead for the UP32 (like Ian's) which is a better fit into the boot recess.  The UP5X will go into the next conversion subject which is an SE, so the pump will have to live somewhere else.  So I'm awaiting the replacement pump, and the brackets.

Meanwhile, translator time.  Very badly worn bearings, also tie rod joints.  The cable joints are in excellent condition.  I'd forgotten that this car was my guinea pig for quick-release cable joints; they've held up incredibly well.

IMAG0479-20180515-183819131.jpg

IMAG0477-20180515-183844686.jpg

IMAG0481-20180515-183753391.jpg

Margate beckons...

• Love 1

• Gold FFM

For a while there it was touch and go, but Shan's bedside manner (and that nurse outfit) pulled me through.  Ultimately, it was only a small prick.

• Gold FFM

Here's what all the fuss was about:  brackets for servo and proportioning valve, and new pushrod.

_DSC3341.jpg

Spent virtually all day iteratively fitting (and fettling) new bracket, servo, master cylinder and proportioning valve.  There's a lot of work involved in getting pedal dimensions/travel correct , and especially fabricating the brake pipes from/to the proportioning valve.  These require the utmost care.  Ian warned me that a significant amount of kunifer might be sacrificed, and he was correct.  I managed to cross-thread a union into the Wilwood valve, and this turned out to be irretrievable.  Down to me and all part of the learning curve!  Also, I had to cut the pushrod down by several mm to achieve desired pedal specification.  This is a complex conversion that requires significant care and planning, and not for the faint of heart!

IMAG0494-20180520-20322423.jpg

IMAG0495-20180520-203238592.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it’s a complicated job, and anyone attempting it must be technically competent. The brake pipework in particular is enough to try the patience of a saint. I spent hours and hours researching and thinking about it before I even ordered any new parts, none of which are obsolete.

I’m personally recommending Sparky for doing the job, as it has to be carried out correctly.

I’m keen to see how Dragan’s car turns out, hopefully we may see it on test at the end of this week?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

It was all going so well...

IMAG0505-20180521-180847425.jpg

Unfortunately the pump is a lemon.  It's leaking like a sieve and must be replaced.  It's now a toss-up between waiting for a replacement or using the UP5X I have, which will be a more problematic fit.  I'm also unhappy about the manifold, which comes with awful stock seals, so I shall change these for something more airtight.  Shame; I was so close...

• Gold FFM

Looks great chap.

its somewhat tiring fettling and getting it nice. I can only imagine the hell Ian went through getting the bracket right. 

Ive simply given up for the day - come back from walking dog whilst danny was at swimming, picked up the exhaust - and I simply haven’t got the energy to drag my sorry ass to the garage.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Forgot to say - wasn't happy with the free play at the pedal, so ground a 14mm spanner wafer thin and performed another 6 Lotus positions.  Surprisingly I can still feed myself. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
22 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Forgot to say - wasn't happy with the free play at the pedal, so ground a 14mm spanner wafer thin and performed another 6 Lotus positions.  Surprisingly I can still feed myself. 

Ahh - I have a thin spanner just for that locking nut - a normal one will not fit.

i found with the pedal insitu - you could rotate the rod on the thread and adjust “in situ under the steering wheel in the Lotus position” and then pop back into the slot and whack the retaining pin in. There’s a whole lot of movement in the servo actuator. Then nip up the locking nut.

it does really help to have another car to compare the pedal with on the free play. 

10 minutes ago, rizla603104 said:

All good stuff chaps! Can’t wait to read the results in a week or so

A week?? Feck that - I might have given up for tonight - but the war will commence in the morning. I’ll be road testing by lunchtime 

Just spent 40 minutes sat in the hot tub with the youngest - she seemed a little sad and needed some Dad time - my body almost feels repaired !! Get a hot tub @Sparky - even my finger look clean 😂

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Remember Christine?  The silver High Wing?  I'm off to see her tomorrow.  She seems reluctant to let me rip her apart again, and has dropped some coolant in protest.