Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tex’s Lotus Exige Cup 430 - Page 21 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tex’s Lotus Exige Cup 430

2 hours ago, Tex said:

The Exige Cup 430 is rapid and well sorted as standard and you need to spend serious money to get up to the power and down to the low weight that it provides from other models. 

So  Is anyone doing any mods or contemplating any to improve on it’s track performance? 

I decided to build my own ultimate spec Exige, so started with a 350 and went from there. My philosophy has been to do everything a step beyond what Lotus was able to do with the 430 wherever possible. So TVS1900, Ohlins, LSD, larger fuel tank etc...

Fully appreciate this is not for everyone and not meaning in any way to be disparaging. The 430 is stunning, an absolute weapon and I am sure will go down as being a classic Lotus. Which I think is all the more reason not to modify them, and partly why I used a 350 as the base for my project build.

12 hours ago, Tex said:

The Exige Cup 430 is rapid and well sorted as standard and you need to spend serious money to get up to the power and down to the low weight that it provides from other models. 

So  Is anyone doing any mods or contemplating any to improve on it’s track performance? 

As we just discussed it above, the Lotus Track Exhaust could be an option to reach more circuits. But of course this is not a "performance" option.

In terms of performance, I would say, in this order :
- Find a good chassis setup (toe, camber, dampers)
- Look for / test tires with more grip
- Perhaps then only (as also suggested here), if seems necessary, a LSD

All these things without forgetting to constantly train / improve what is between the bucket seat and the steering wheel 😁
So that every modification can be correctly felt.
Of course in race mode or with TC off.

IMO 🙂

• Like 2

Good observations and valid points and  no doubt the exhaust  is an issue . Most likely  everyone  needs and would benefit from more track tuition though not just Cup 430 owners !

This was though more directed at  430 owners and what they have or are potentially looking at having done. The early production cars will be  coming out of warranty soon 

12 hours ago, Tex said:

Are you an expert on the subject ? 😉

No, I speak from experience. Pro driver training will do way more for your lap times than adding more power, or having a faster car. 

You should try it Tex. I think you will be surprised by the results and ability to corner way better, using the car to its maximum capability.....

As stated previously probably everyone using this Forum would benefit from additional track tuition.  There are many excellent instructors/pro drivers who are out there ready to help once the suspension is lifted.

However I’ m  not sure that our paths have crossed, so can you explain how you would know what track tuition I have or haven’t had ? 

1 hour ago, Tex said:

As stated previously probably everyone using this Forum would benefit from additional track tuition.  There are many excellent instructors/pro drivers who are out there ready to help once the suspension is lifted.

However I’ m  not sure that our paths have crossed, so can you explain how you would know what track tuition I have or haven’t had ? 

I agree, everyone who hasn’t benefited from driver tuition should try it. The benefits far outweigh any mods. It’s the best upgrade anyone can invest in. There is no joy going fast in a straight line and then holding people up in the corners.....

you are quite right tex, i don’t know if you have participated in pro driver training or not. This post wasn’t aimed at you, it was a comment based upon your question if there is value in adding more power to a 430 cup. My opinion is try driver training first. It was a general comment. Other than some chatter on here, I have no idea what your ability level is... it may well be world class!

• Like 2

Not Quite and not sure about the Chatter !

My main intention wasn’t just to enquire on whether anyone with a Cup 430 had upped the power. 436bhp is probably more than enough for most UK circuits, although the torque could be a bit better for all round use.

A track exhaust is clearly the most decisive mod to make in order to allow full track potential but is a compromise as it takes a couple of hours to change them over, and The Titanium exhausts are secured differently.  KT are working on a decibel eater for the TI exhaust at the moment which may allow access to more circuits which would be useful.

My interest also was about what other mods 430 owners are considering such as:

1) Using Spacers to increase the track width. Mentioned this previously, although opinion was mixed due to lack of spacer suppliers and the potential to foul the arches

2) Upgrading the wheels, particularly as the design isn’t great, albeit pretty lightweight. 

3) Not necessarily a great idea but whether anyone has tried 295 Cup 2’s on the rears.

4) Whether anyone has switched to Ohlins from the Nitrons 

5) Is an LSD a good upgrade considering Cup 430’s come with additional fine tuning of slip 

From other threads there are non UK based owners who are modifying their Cup 430’s and would be good to hear if anyone in the UK is doing the same

@Tex

1. I’m pretty confident that you’d fowl the arches. Would be fairly easy to check for a garage (or some at home), remove the spring from the damper and fit the wheel back on using large washers to simulate different spacer widths, then test the wheel at different lock and with the damper at full compression. Of course this doesn’t allow for movement in the tyre at speed, but would give you an idea of it it would be close to the bodywork or arch liner or not.  Having had wheel spacers on previous cars I’ve owned, to be honest I don’t think it’d make much of a difference.

2. Komo-tec offer some forged wheels which are a little lighter than the factory ones.  I prefer the factory wheels personally.

3. Be careful of the hose for the remote reservoir if fitting 295 as you don’t want to damage it, and it’s already pretty close to the tyre with 285s.  Also bare in mind that a 295 tyre would increase the profile which affects ride highs possible and also the gearing of the car.

4. I can’t comment from personal experience but probably a good move.

5. A mechanical LSD makes a big difference and works in a different way to the electronics.  The electronics are braking wheels, therefore helping you to get traction but pulling back a bit of momentum in the process (and wearing rear brakes). An LSD just fires you out of corners with no drama (unless you want drama).  Well worth it as an upgrade IMO. 

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Thanks for confirming and not really much of a gain in weight.  £1,000 + fitting and not too expensive upgrade either 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2018 at 5:10 AM, AlphaZ said:

Hola bas

Puedo ver en mi 430 CUP el cableado de la válvula, así que instalo un interruptor pero no hace nada ... ¿Actualizan la ECU para que esto funcione?

Gracias

Saludos

IMG_2400.thumb.jpg.3b59c857f6dd7be025129d4bfe3b52ac.jpg

I just installed on my Exige 410 2019 the switch and it works for me without any update of the Ecu, I attach some videos

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-23 at 11.48.39 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

@Joseph Antabi is this the same switch that lotus sells? And you say you didn't need them to activate it through the ECU?

I had the dealer install the OEM exhaust button switch but they had to activate it to work through the ECU - it also only works in normal mode.

For track days I just plug the vacuum hose (mentioned earlier in this thread) so I can have the exhaust fully open on sport/race mode.

However, I just can't be bothered anymore even though it's less than a minute to access the vacuum line so I leave it plugged all the time.

Just curious how yours works in all modes without even the dealer enabling it through the ECU.

My car is a 430 cup.

It is strange that the UK dealers who fit them require an ECU up date and it only works in normal mode.

Seems a bit fishy if you can  buy direct and install without.