Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tex’s Lotus Exige Cup 430 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tex’s Lotus Exige Cup 430

Took delivery of my Cup today and very quickly broke the engine cover release lever, so all my luggage remains locked away. I know it’s been covered before but it really is a pretty weak design.

Looks like a trip back to the dealer !!!

Main point really was to establish a thread for the foibles on a new Lotus.

I had air bag delete which included the harness brace, but it would appear the plastic cover behind seats gets removed showing all manner of Cables. I was assured this was normal but would appreciate views on this. Looks a bit naff really but maybe it is the only solution

Also Really would have liked the switchable exhaust button, as on my 380 and will look to see if this can be retro fitted.

Will up date again once I retrieve my luggage and start to enjoy the car for the reasons I bought it.

22908A23-FEE2-4740-AD55-FC6DA81827A6.jpeg

Edited by Bravo73
  • Sad 3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As for the engine cover release lever, there is a fix for that, dealer should sort.

Not good that picture of behind the seats - very untidy.

21 hours ago, Tex said:

Took delivery of my Cup today and very quickly broke the engine cover release lever, so all my luggage remains locked away. I know it’s been covered before but it really is a pretty weak design.

Looks like a trip back to the dealer !!!

Main point really was to establish a thread for the foibles on a new Lotus.

I had air bag delete which included the harness brace, but it would appear the plastic cover behind seats gets removed showing all manner of Cables. I was assured this was normal but would appreciate views on this. Looks a bit naff really but maybe it is the only solution

Also Really would have liked the switchable exhaust button, as on my 380 and will look to see if this can be retro fitted.

Will up date again once I retrieve my luggage and start to enjoy the car for the reasons I bought it.

Congrats first of all! I presume yours is the green one from Central Lotus?

Unfortunately with the harness bar from the factory, the trim panel is non existent, I presume for lack of space. I noticed this on B&C's demo a while back. Even the seat belt cover assembly is missing!

Another downside to the harness bar is the (even worse) rear visibility!

zj756x.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on getting your car today! I just saw mine today after a long wait. Should be getting it by the end of the week.

Must be frustrating with these small issues. In regards to the exhaust button, my dealer has confirmed to me that it is indeed possible to retrofit and they have already ordered the parts for it. I'm told also requires a software update to get it working.

Edited by BAS

13 hours ago, RRSSS said:

Unfortunately with the harness bar from the factory, the trim panel is non existent, I presume for lack of space. I noticed this on B&C's demo a while back. Even the seat belt cover assembly is missing!

zj756x.jpg

Central Lotus are fitting the exhaust valve button on our GT430 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

The boot release on my Sport 350 is also playing. The mechanism was all loose so couldn’t get in even with handle working. Air con doesn’t work when it’s hot and my trim panel needs fitted correctly but other than that build quality is quite good.

• Haha 1

On 02/06/2018 at 18:45, BAS said:

Congrats on getting your car today! I just saw mine today after a long wait. Should be getting it by the end of the week.

Must be frustrating with these small issues. In regards to the exhaust button, my dealer has confirmed to me that it is indeed possible to retrofit and they have already ordered the parts for it. I'm told also requires a software update to get it working.

Thanks for sharing views and the congratulations and congrats for yours later in week, hopefully will stay fine.

Still not got in the boot but hey it was a fantastic day so popped up to Silverstone to catch a bit of the MG live day. 

No doubt the car is super quick and I really have to say I am amazed by how well it copes with uneven and broken road surfaces. Nitrons  work so well on road and I assume will on track. 

Orally  I miss the open exhaust valve, pops and bangs at low revs, so it was great to hear I can get it installed. Looking forward to hearing that with the Titanium Exhaust

Car is indeed from Central although have made a few changes to their original spec. 

Will need to take it back to them for the few gremlins and to order the exhaust button but looking forward to getting it run in.

Was down for the Vmax end of month but have moved it to the September one but did get an invite from Silverstone  to show Car at the Supercar Sunday at the British GT Championship next Sunday. So if anyone is there please say hello.

14 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

Central Lotus are fitting the exhaust valve button on our GT430 

Thanks for confirming

Yes will ask them when I pop in later in week,

Its such a good sound at low revs with all the pops and bangs 

On 02/06/2018 at 15:29, RRSSS said:

zj756x.jpg

Thanks, yes from Central but had a few personal modifications.

Yes visibility isn’t good as you say but plus side it’s all harness ready, should I become competent on track to require them !!!

Would have been nice to have given it a slightly better look behind the seats but hey it’s Lotus and will be soon forgotten by me

21 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Congratulations on the car!

My V6 Cup has no rear trim panel either, but if you have the a-frame, then that's why. Anyway, it's a Cup car, so the ethos is about saving weight😀

Thanks,

Yes I think that’s the main point it is a Cup Car but is probably the best road going Exige until we see the 410 and if you can put up with noise

Congrats on collections on your Cup. Bit of a pain about the boot release. 

Regarding trim and visibility, it's a Cup car and such are the sacrifices that are to be made for lightweight and track-readiness. Anyway, try not to look behind your seats too much :). I like the A-frame in contrasrt colour, bit different that. I had the factory do mine in body colour like the  S2 Cups had.

Since losing the glass hatch in favour of my CupR engine cover the driving experience is a bit mroe like my old S2 Exige S, where rear visibility was just a chargecooler, you just end up using your side mirrors a little more, though there is still some visibility remaining between the slats. Hope you get the boot release and valve switch sorted.

ummm guys, being a cup car is no excuse for the lack of rear trimming, that's just laziness and cheapness from Lotus, don't make excuses for them. I've got a cup car with an aftermarket racing harness bar which I installed myself and I still have my rear factory trim. So if I can do a better job with an aftermarket bar, Lotus should be doing an even better job with a factory installed one.

harnessbar.thumb.jpg.337565ecb82bf9a174f0b7c655aca266.jpg

Hi Colin, congrats on the delivery! I did the same as @mark248am and ordered mine with airbags, normal seat belts and no a-frame. I then got Hanger111 to fit a harness bar and Schroth harnesses. This keeps the rear trim panel, has better rear visibility and is lighter than the lotus a-frame. I also personally dislike the look of the steering wheel without the airbag and the big pad on it. This way I can use normal seat belts as well for some journeys where harnesses aren't required.

It's a whole other animal once run in too! 

3E142E23-D7B3-4B24-B83D-C73E2C9B0CFF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark248am said:

ummm guys, being a cup car is no excuse for the lack of rear trimming, that's just laziness and cheapness from Lotus, don't make excuses for them. I've got a cup car with an aftermarket racing harness bar which I installed myself and I still have my rear factory trim. So if I can do a better job with an aftermarket bar, Lotus should be doing an even better job with a factory installed one.

It's not a like for like thing though is it? Lotus were more than capable themselves of building a car with a simple harness bar that allows retention of the trim panel on the S2 cars, but for some reason were not able to offer this on the V6. The Cup A-frame is fitted in conjunction with a specific T45 roll hoop (different to non Cup cars - their roll hoops do not possess these mounting bosses), as the top of the 'A' ties in with the hoop at the centre (as per the photo), and at another 4 locations lower down on either side of the roll hoop. The trim panel simply cannot allow this to happen.

I guess it depends how bothered people are, for the rare occassions when I realise I no longer have an interior light I might be mildly peeved, but that's about the extent of it. 

The Elise 250 Cup with harness bar kept the rear plastic.

See pics here.

No exuse from Lotus if they did not fit the plastic to your 430 Cup when it is possible to fit the bar to a 430 Cup and leave the plastic as is, as kindly stated by mark248am

Fair enough. Solution is not to get Lotus to fit their oem bar but get your own one if you want everything to look tidy behind the rear seats.

2 hours ago, AlphaZ said:

Hi,

I have install my exhaust remote controlled button :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr3eHY5DH1M

Regards

May well be the best solution.

Central Lotus have confirmed that while The Evora GT430 can be converted, it require blanking plate removal and Ecu upgrade the Exige is more complicated 

Waiting to hear when factory responds back to them .

The sound when open at low revs is just so much better !!!