Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made your blood boil today? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made your blood boil today?

C8RKH

40 minutes ago, march said:

You militant bunch of buggers! 🙂

I farm (well sort of),I don't ride a bike, I have a Range Rover (but it's broken) and the farm has only made money once in the last 10 years and I have a Lotus - What does that make me then?

I’m curious on this statement. I’ve seen lots of quotes from farmers saying that they lose money every year, but cannot believe this at face value. Surely if true then bankruptcy would have long since occurred?

is it just a part of the business? In which case not really a fair statement. Does it include the owner taking their “dividend” leaving a zero balance sheet?

Not making any assertions, I just don’t  understand how it can be true. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Let’s just consider. 

Profit shows £70k...... then let’s use our capital allowances on say a new £75k tractor or 4x4....... hey presto - £5k loss.....

Only here once

2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Let’s just consider. 

Profit shows £70k...... then let’s use our capital allowances on say a new £75k tractor or 4x4....... hey presto - £5k loss.....

I wish.

• Gold FFM

Listening to Gary Neville’s dreadful high pitched drivel attempt at England Commentary (again) 

Staying silent, not opening mouth and saying nothing at all would have made the game so much more enjoyable to the entire English listening human race 🤬

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

1 hour ago, march said:

I farm (well sort of),I don't ride a bike, I have a Range Rover (but it's broken) and the farm has only made money once in the last 10 years and I have a Lotus - What does that make me then?

A poor farmer? 🤣

Only joking....  It means you're not a "big" farmer I guess. But then if you were you wouldn't fit into a Lotus!

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, march said:

May I interest you in a chicken shed ??? Nice little return on investment 👍

• Like 2

Only here once

13 hours ago, march said:

How very dare you earn a wage and use it to buy a Lotus! And in Essex as well! Shouldn't you be exploiting your land and turning it into housing estates? :P 

I suspect Pete, like many people in the trade I am in, your business trades to earn you a wage, not build a huge bottom line. But you don't go telling everyone who will listen that you can't afford to run the farm.....and then jump in a brand new car etc. 

Its about integrity. "My farm doesn't make any money, but I pay the wages and earn a crust for myself" I can get behind. 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

14 hours ago, march said:

Broke, if you have a V8.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

My uncle who farmed all his life, never had a car, used a bike to get about, never had a licence. Died last year at the age of 92. Mind you. He never married and never owned a Lotus. Left a few quid though. RIP uncle Jim.

• Like 1

Depends what they Farm and how large their land mass is. I have spoken to a few farmers and having been shown the kit they have to buy these days to keep up with their competition.

The cost of some of the langer tracorset,  combines and other massive stuff that looked like it came from NATO is scary.

You are talking units costing more than 200 to 300k a shot ! 

Folks feel worried about having a car on finance imagine having a few million quids worth on the never never !

A

@march - that's a nice post and I do sympathise!  I know. Shocking isn't it 😀

I know several farmers like you. Generally good sound people, bobbing along, trying to do the right thing, earn a living, protect something for the future etc.

However, you have called out the issues yourself. We have a corrupt EU farming and subsidy system that allows some individuals to quite frankly take the piss and rape and pillage. They use the subsidies to fund the acquisition of small holdings, kill off the small farmer, and rinse and repeat the cycle whilst systematically enriching themselves. So, in essence, we have a corrupt farming system that allows some farmers to corrupt it even more for personal gain.

As for the cost of food - personally, maybe it should go up and we should stop artificially keeping the price down. A shortage of supply will mean the power will shift from the retailer (highway robbers more like - give me all you got for nothing or I will shoot you) to the producer (you can have my produce for this which gives me a reasonable profit / living).

Higher food prices = less food bought = less food eaten = less fat bastards and less waste (we chuck away an indecent amount of good food every year - it is obscene!).

So, I blame some farmers. I blame the EU and our useless short sighted politicians. I blame the retailers. And, I blame the consumer.

However, non of this detracts from the fact that a large number of farmers make a very substantial return from their, errm, shall we say investments, every year.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

39 minutes ago, mayesprit said:

Today I unfortunately witnessed some disgusting behaviour on beech here in Devon. A man and a woman arguing in front of a load of kids. Then she smacked him one right across the head and it all kicked off between them! The Police then turned up and the Policeman ended up using his baton on the bloke who then managed to get the baton off the Policeman and started hitting the Copper and the woman with it! Eventually a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages.

😡

That's the way to do it!

• Haha 1

Dave.

On 19/06/2018 at 04:25, johnpwalsh said:

He never married and never owned a Lotus.

Two keys to still having a few quid when called to the hereafter!

12 hours ago, mayesprit said:

Today I unfortunately witnessed some disgusting behaviour on beech here in Devon. A man and a woman arguing in front of a load of kids. Then she smacked him one right across the head and it all kicked off between them! The Police then turned up and the Policeman ended up using his baton on the bloke who then managed to get the baton off the Policeman and started hitting the Copper and the woman with it! Eventually a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages.

😡

And the Daily Mail ran with the headline - "Brexit causes major disturbance on the beach".

And the BBC reported it as  "peaceful Anti-Brexit protest descends into violence as Remainer and Police attacked by a baton wielding Brexiteer on the beach"

Seems everything these days is the fault of Brexit so why not.....

The small print.

25 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

And The Independent ran with the headline - "Brexit causes major disturbance on the beach".

And the BBC reported it as  "peaceful Anti-Brexit protest descends into violence as Remainer and Police attacked by a baton wielding Brexiteer on the beach"

Seems everything these days is the fault of Brexit so why not.....

FTFY

Margate Exotics.

Different generations have always blamed each other for life's woes. I'm not sure I subscribe to the adversarial narrative.

I am technically a "millennial", in that I came into adulthood at the turn of the millennium. 

For young people to blame those that are older than them, and the other stuff I've heard like "they'll be dead soon", is just barmy and indicative of the low regard with which we hold our later generations in this country. On the other hand, not all millennial people are gender fluid, top knot wearing, avocado munching cretins.

It's the debate about a bad-BREXIT that is now causing a bad BREXIT! Just bloody crack on with it. 

David Cameron tried to get us a "good deal", and the EU basically laughed at him, well look where that led them. 

Ok, to get away from Brecit here's one that has really made my blood boil today!

So Social care is at rock Bottom for retired people because of Govt cuts and a rise in the number of Older people. What to do? Increase Tax by 1% for everyone? Increase National Insurance for everyone? Get the Govt to stop cutting cutting cutting and "Cut" Foreign Aid to pay for our own people who need help?

Ohhhhhh no. The MP's have decided there needs to be an "Old Age Tax" for over 40's only (Because obviously Young people won't ever get old and need social care). So just when you have a little spare income and can finally do some things you have worked hard all your life for, they want to tax you more cause you are getting old, worked hard all your life and and have a little spare income. Well F**K Off I hav e seen it all now!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44621047

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

This yet again is just running after votes of the younger generation - they HAVE benefitted from their parents wealth and continue to do so and will inherit a large part of that wealth, far larger than the current "older" generation ever inherited. Yet again this is politicians pandering the "i want it all and i want it now as it's just not fair" bluster and bullshit from the feckless younger generations.

I'm getting fed up. When i bough my first house, a 2 up 2 down mid terrace it cost me £25k. My salary was £4.5k per year and the only way I could afford was because both me and the girlfriend had a combined income of £8k pa.  We took out a 2.5 times joint earning mortgage and within 9 months the interest rates had jumped from circa 5% to 15% and I was working full time, my girlfriend was working full time and I had two part time jobs just to keep afloat. Well, that was fooking easy. Easy life, yeah!!!!

These days, a grad will start around £20-25k and a lower paid job around £12k for a combined income of around £30-37k is not unreasonable.  3, 4 even 5 times mortgages are available so that gives a max mortgage of £90 - 185k - quite a spread.  In most parts of the country you can get a decent place (certainly a 2 up 2 down mid terrace) with the obvious exception of the ludicrously priced London and the home counties /south east area. How is that widely different to my experience and why is it viewed that I had it easy?  Total and utter bollocks. This just shows to me that the MP's are just totally out of touch with reality.

Why the fook should I work hard to look after myself and my family and provide, then see my retirement jealously watched over and my hard earned savings picked away by a bunch of feckless MPs?  I could spend my whole life on the dole. Contribute jack shit and the council would still have to provide me with basic care and when needed a care home.  About time we skewed the balance back.

If your local MP is supporting this further, blatant attack, on responsible, hard working citizens then please do make sure that you make it very very clear to them that they will not be getting your vote at the next election.  The younger generation need to stop their fecking whinging and just get on with it. End of. (noted that not ALL of the younger generation are totally feckless, useless, whinging, scrounging, lazy, good for nothing, wastrels - I do have a 24 and 21 year old who work for a living!)

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Not often I comment on stuff like this.  Kimbers/Andy, I wholeheartedly agree with you, BUT...

This has been brewing for a long time.  Science can now increase human longevity way beyond an individual's ability to function as a 'contributor'.  A species has only one goal: to perpetuate itself.  Essentially, once you've brought up your young you are no longer useful.  Combine this with social mores dictating that we keep an individual alive at all costs, and you have a time bomb.  The system can no longer support its older contingent.

My son-in-law manages the radiology department in a major London hospital.  He tells me that more than 50% of the people he now scans (many before/during major life-saving procedures) are geriatrics all but incapable of communication.  A fair few who can communicate are pretty much hoping to shuffle off, but we won't let them.  The cost is monumental.

The amount of cash/effort poured into my Dad's end-of-life care last year was staggering.  It satisfied moral requirements but did nothing more than delay the inevitable for him and his family.  It's unsustainable on a macro scale.

I know this'll be contentious, but my charity donations no longer go to the likes of heart/cancer concerns.  I now give to hospitals and hospices.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

that is absolutely your choice Sparky and I hear what you are saying. What the Govt seem to be saying is you can't choose to give to charity. If you have a little spare income we want it for Social Care, and have taken that choice away!

It doesn't seem right or fair that I have done similar to Andy and worked 3 jobs most of my life, still doing 2 now, and so is Wendy, so we can afford some nice things and a nice holiday and the Govt look at that as an opportunity to tax. Like ANdy says I see this as pandering to the Young vote and it doesn't sit well with me. Politics of Jealousy.