Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Glass roof - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Glass roof

LotusFella

I have a V8 1999 and looking for a glass roof.  I assume any S4 glass roof will fit? Any after market makers? or anyone willing to part with theirs?

Someone must have a glass roof they’re willing to part with?

• Gold FFM

Like hens teeth Chris, but keep looking and asking, eventually one will turn up.

Anyone tried to get webasto or similar to make. Then group buy or is there not enough interest?

That eBay ad has got me thinking. I have the original V8 glass roof panel that came with my car. In its original bag. And the wind deflector. In the 10 years I've had the car it's never left the back of the garage. Never been on the car. In fact the only time I've had a good look at it was when I accepted the "Can you get it in the boot and out again challenge" years ago.

So, the question is, do I really need it? Or the £1,000.....😉

17 hours ago, Llewelyn82 said:

It from a V8  so I guess it will fit, must say,  I'm not a fan of the glass roof, just my opinion.

22 hours ago, hedgerley said:

That eBay ad has got me thinking. I have the original V8 glass roof panel that came with my car. In its original bag. And the wind deflector. In the 10 years I've had the car it's never left the back of the garage. Never been on the car. In fact the only time I've had a good look at it was when I accepted the "Can you get it in the boot and out again challenge" years ago.

So, the question is, do I really need it? Or the £1,000.....😉

Back up a sec. 

can you get the glass roof in the v8 boot but not the composite? Is that right? I tried my composite and couldn't make it fit. (2001MY V8)

With or without the battery?

theres a video on YouTube of someone doing it with a green esprit, but it isn't a v8 as far as I can tell. 

Theres also another lump in the v8 boot I think.-from a previous discussion on here

ill see if I can find that 

meanwhile-any tips? Short video would be gorgeous...

13 hours ago, LotuStuart said:

Back up a sec. 

can you get the glass roof in the v8 boot but not the composite? Is that right? I tried my composite and couldn't make it fit. (2001MY V8)

The glass roof is easier, being slightly thinner hence the hinges/flanges don't protrude and get in the way so much as those fitted to the composite roof. But yes, the glass roof fits. And I can get the composite roof in. It's tighter and care has to be taken not to scrape the sides, but it does fit. See the photos. As Barry says, try again.........

My car is a 2001MY V8 also and it does have that air pump emissions thingy fitted. But it is fitted to the side wall, not the top of the wheel arch, so it does not get in the way. And I have the full size battery with the cover fitted, no need to remove anything. The YouTube video is correct but you have to take care with the tilt angles, longitudinally and laterally. The angle of the dangle is crucial so to speak 😉

IMAG1679.jpg

IMAG1680.jpg

IMAG1684.jpg

Ok. Many thanks!

ill give it a hi this afternoon. At the moment the bot has a full size front wheel in it. You don't happen to know (by which I mean have seen it physically take place) if the full size rear would fit in the v8 boot do you?

I'll try it next time I take a rear off. That curved firewall just looks too perfect for it to not fit!

ive measured it and its close-whichever way. 

Mine does not fit. I tried again for an hour. No it doesn't fit. 

Looking at the emissions thing, mine may be slightly differently positioned from yours, but even with it removed the roof catches on the underside of the wing (the "sharp edge" under neath) and will not fit. 

Trust me on this one. No "ah you just haven't got the angle right" I have tried all the angles. If I ever got it in it would not come out. There is not enough space  

If I could shave 10 mm off the bodywork and then repositioned the emissions fan it might work.  Can anyone tell me how I can safely re shape the bodywork to give me the extra space needed? Then I can put the roof away and see where to move the emissions thing to  

cheers!

(beer me)