Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
front ball joint removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

front ball joint removal

do you use any special technique to remove the ball joints? whack with 2 hammers? splitter?  The top come away but the bottom hasn't yet.  Don't want to whack if the hubs weak?

I used a 20 ton press. Came out with an almighty bang. Just make sure you distribute the forces correctly!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

@Vanya - that’s to get the bottom ball joint out of the arm. They take a lot of pressure and do bang loudly.

@LotusFella is stuck at the splitting stage presently ???

Only here once

2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

@Vanya - that’s to get the bottom ball joint out of the arm. They take a lot of pressure and do bang loudly.

@LotusFella is stuck at the splitting stage presently ???

I believe I used the press for that as well :)

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I have removed the hub.  Do I now remove the circlips for ARP before or after the damper bottom bolt or does it not matter?  Just wondering about spring pressure if any now.

thx

• Gold FFM

The antiroll bar bushes are pressed into/onto the circlip. The circlips don’t seem to do that much other than be a pain in the ass to remove cos of dirt. Use new replacement ones

The antiroll bar pushes the bottom arm up a bit - not a lot

Only here once

12 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

The antiroll bar bushes are pressed into/onto the circlip. The circlips don’t seem to do that much other than be a pain in the ass to remove cos of dirt. Use new replacement ones

So should just be able to unbolt the damper with worrying about the arb?

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Ok got bottom wishbone out but still stuck to arb. Any pearls of wisdom for parting them from the wishbone?

thx

26 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Yup - four nuts on the top mount 

one nut and bolt on the bottom

Sorry don’t understand. 

The arb is off the car on one side. But still in the bush with the circlips in the wishbone.  Do I have to get the inside circling off and then pull the complete bush and arb in one go or the rust knob facing rear of the car on the arb is that a nut?

26 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Yup - four nuts on the top mount 

one nut and bolt on the bottom

1BA5A843-0795-404F-9718-47B25D0BDD14.thumb.png.6f7070c5222301864e9820f4577bcec5.png

1BA5A843-0795-404F-9718-47B25D0BDD14.png

Nice are those powder coated?

oh and your top ball joint bolts are on wrong ;-). Bolts should be on the rear side according to parts guide 🙂

• Gold FFM

Yes the bolts are - they are correct the other side - left hand right hand thing.

you can remove the shocker without removing the roll bar. You will need to push the bottom arm down harder if you don’t 

Here’s the parts book - this is the drivers side. Bolt heads face front - left hand front hand.

make sense ??55DC8518-4A22-419E-83DA-B58CA77059E4.thumb.jpeg.f0e3042051ff58ce85d4e785b70c7c10.jpeg

Only here once

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, LotusFella said:

or the rust knob facing rear of the car on the arb is that a nut?

As you say, it'll be stuck in there with a knob of rust, no nuts on the arb, just pushed in. I found it much easier to dismantle the suspension components with the arb removed first.

If your arb is stuck/rusted into the bush clean it up best possible soak it in penetrating oil, stick the wishbone in a vice if you have one, twist it, pull it, shout and swear at it, eventually it'll come out. If you think that was hard the rusted arb bush circlips will try the patience of a saint.

Thx all, got the bottom wishbones nearside arb fell out 👍 but off-side appears to have some sort of pressed washer. See picture. Just leave it on? And clean up paint around it?

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

It looks like he's referring to the rust around the end of the ARB itself. The ARB should slide fairly easily in/out of the bush when all is as it should be. It looks like yours is securely rusted in place. Do not just leave it in there and "paint around it"...

IMG_0990 sm.jpg

• Like 1

1995 S4s

Ok thx. I have removed the bottom ball joint. Which is 43.5mm in diameter. The one I purchased is 41.5mm did they do multiple sizes.

• Gold FFM
On 15/07/2018 at 22:26, LotusFella said:

do you use any special technique to remove the ball joints? whack with 2 hammers? splitter?  The top come away but the bottom hasn't yet.  Don't want to whack if the hubs weak?

I just did this as well. I eventually got all mine away from the wheel carrier with ball joint tools. One of them was a real bugger, but the other three were easy.

On 20/07/2018 at 05:24, LotusFella said:

Thx all, got the bottom wishbones nearside arb fell out 👍 but off-side appears to have some sort of pressed washer. See picture. Just leave it on? And clean up paint around it?

IMG_4496.JPG

That does look like one of those one way washers that has been pressed on. You don't need it at all. Dremel it off or try a cold chisel and hammer. Should not be too hard to get rid of.

As Jim said above, the ARB slides into its bush quite easily on both sides.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

14 hours ago, sailorbob said:

There's only one size, what ball joint did you buy?

it says its for an esprit 85>

• Gold FFM

More importantly, where did you buy it from?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

More importantly, where did you buy it from?

From a reputable supplier. Rather not mention them as it’s not fair on them as it’s probably a genuine mistake. Just wondering/hoping it’s a supply issue rather than my wishbones.  They are they later v8 type with conical bushes. Does anyone know the correct size/diameter?